Make a donation

Author Topic: The octane booster topic  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
The octane booster topic
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:19 pm »
We've been talking about octane booster on a bigger turbo topic. Better we stop doing off-topic there and gather info about this option for more performance in a specific topic.

I only have access to petrol with 98 RON octanes, which my tuner says translates to 95 AKI.

Here's a bit of a explanation of what AKI and the other indexes mean taken from Wikipedia:
"Research Octane Number (RON):
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON):
Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2:
In most countries, including Australia, New Zealand and all of those in Europe, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2). It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI:
Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity, and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system."

I hope you can understand that what matters is the AKI of the fuel because a high RON rate with much lower MON will mean a lower AKI and less timing pull available.

The octane booster discussion started with Dave sharing his personal experience:
Little bit off topic here guys but just want to mention something another member on here brought to my attention...

NF Octane Booster

It's a South African product and it claims to increase your RON by up to 6 points (if you used a full bottle in one tank). Initially I presumed that was just marketing bullsh*t and couldn't possibly be true. But, I was keen to give it a try all the same as any increase in Octane will help avoid knock/detonation/pre ignition whatever you like to call it.

Holy sh*tballs. This stuff has blown me away!! I've a simple set up being just stage 1.5 on a K03. There's been a HUGE hike in midrange punch since I've started using it. Was talking to my tuner and he was confirming he's seen big hikes on the rollers for cars running this stuff. Can't wait to get mine back on the rollers so I can quantify the difference it's made.

Anyways, just thought it might be of interest to some of you guys looking to get the most from your setup

Cheers,
Dave

So I've ordered these from Roger Clark Motorsport:
19-20 Brindley Road
Leicester United Kingdom United Kingdom
Suburb: Hinckley
Phone: +44-1455-610728
http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/category/154-lubricants-consumables?

NF Nitrous Formula Octane Booster 300 ml - 6 Pack

I've contacted the dyno owner where my car was tuned and he's also curious to know the difference. I'm also going to add a VWR intake but preferably just after doing a couple of runs with the booster to see what I get with the current VWR/ITG panel filter. :smiley:

I received the 6 pack yesterday. :smiley:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: The octane booster topic
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »
As long as there's additional timing request in the map (therefore a small amount of CF) then it should make a decent difference.

That said, to mix it in to the quantities needed to provide a decent anti-knock improvement, it is going to be VERY expensive to run. 1 bottle treats 60 litres of fuel (so a full tank) which means you are looking at an extra £15 per tank of fuel to run this stuff! Crazy money unless you drive WOT all the time. 75% of my cars use is as a family car, so running this stuff would be a total waste

My opinion - run a WMI kit unless we suddenly start to find E85 at the pumps on a regular basis. One off cost of WMI, but then cheap as chips as its only injected when needed. I go through less than 25 litres a year (about £25 worth) & 6,000 miles
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:09 pm »
I'm planning to only use this booster on the tank before going to a track day and on the tank used during the track day. For daily driving I have more than enough power. Using this everyday would be crazy money, yes. :smiley:

A WMI system isn't legal to use so I prefer to try to improve the output without changing much the engine bay. Even the VWR intake isn't legal but might not call much attention and some authorities don't mind since it's a closed intake.  :innocent:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:20:10 pm »
Ah I didnt realise there were legal issues for you to consider

On a track day this will help massively. The biggest killer of power is heat and this should help massively with the increased timing pull/knock you would see after several hard laps of a track as long as it 'does what it says on the tin'.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 01:39:04 pm »
I've seen the oil temp reach 125ºC on the last track day. Intake temps were almost 40ºC at the end of the long straight at 230 km/h (~143 mph) but after braking they would decrease to around 30ºC rapidly. The air temp was around 25ºC.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 02:03:41 pm »
As long as there's additional timing request in the map (therefore a small amount of CF) then it should make a decent difference.

That said, to mix it in to the quantities needed to provide a decent anti-knock improvement, it is going to be VERY expensive to run. 1 bottle treats 60 litres of fuel (so a full tank) which means you are looking at an extra £15 per tank of fuel to run this stuff! Crazy money unless you drive WOT all the time. 75% of my cars use is as a family car, so running this stuff would be a total waste

My opinion - run a WMI kit unless we suddenly start to find E85 at the pumps on a regular basis. One off cost of WMI, but then cheap as chips as its only injected when needed. I go through less than 25 litres a year (about £25 worth) & 6,000 miles

I was thinking the same.  That is one expensive website!  £25 for a magnetic sump plug  :surprised: 

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the results of this experiment, and the VWR intake  :smiley:

I have E85 at my local Morrisons, but the pump is painfully slow (about litre a minute!) and the ECU will need a tune to use it....and bigger injectors.   I could try a blend though.   Say 80-20 petrol-E85.   I tried that blend with my old VR6 turbo and the mid and top ends were definitely a bit fruitier.  I had a standalone on that engine so I could adjust the timing and AFR on the fly.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »
I used to run this stuff on my old subaru, which was heavily modified. You don't need to use a whole bottle per tank of fuel, but I cant remember the mix ratio we used to use.

As said WMI will give better results on hot climates though.

Fish

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:41 pm »
Personally I've found this stuff great.

But it's very important to remember we only get rubbish 95RON fuel here in Ireland so as my tuner was reminding me the GTI ecu will pull timing on Irish fuel.

I've a stage one map with a 3in TBE and 3in 200 cell cat, A Ramair oversize intake and a DV+  When I first NF octane booster I noticed a big hike in midrange punch. I was truly surprised  :laugh:

It's probably just the shift from circa 95RON to circa 98RON. The manufacturer claims 6RON for a full bottle added to 60ltrs.

I add half a bottle to 60ltrs. So {if the manufacturer can be trusted} that should be about a 3RON increase for me.

Anyways.... I would normally be highly sceptical of this kind of product.... But I can honestly say I was hugely surprised by the effect it had on my car.

Anybody else using it and noticed any improvements??

Cheers,
Dave

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:12 am »

But it's very important to remember we only get rubbish 95RON fuel here in Ireland so as my tuner was reminding me the GTI ecu will pull timing on Irish fuel.

I've a stage one map with a 3in TBE and 3in 200 cell cat, A Ramair oversize intake and a DV+  When I first NF octane booster I noticed a big hike in midrange punch. I was truly surprised  :laugh:

It's probably just the shift from circa 95RON to circa 98RON. The manufacturer claims 6RON for a full bottle added to 60ltrs.

I add half a bottle to 60ltrs. So {if the manufacturer can be trusted} that should be about a 3RON increase for me.

Anyways.... I would normally be highly sceptical of this kind of product.... But I can honestly say I was hugely surprised by the effect it had on my car.

Cheers,
Dave

We notice a similar thing in England if you switch from 95 to 99 V Power.   The mid and top ends both improve quite a lot!  At least you have found a solution for Ireland's lack of decent fuel  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 10:31:58 am »

Cheers,
Dave

We notice a similar thing in England if you switch from 95 to 99 V Power.   The mid and top ends both improve quite a lot!  At least you have found a solution for Ireland's lack of decent fuel  :happy2:
Worth trying with 99 Ron and this octane booster. Could be a solution for those who dont want to run meth

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:22:38 pm »
I'm going to be doing a road trip around the west coast and the top of Scotland and I'm pretty sure that it'll only be 95RON available but my car is APR tuned to 98RON. Hopefully half a bottle per tank should do the job to keep the RON count up as it will be getting its head kicked in and I don't want to be giving it a kicking if it's only running 95RON

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 11:28:35 pm »

Yeah, it's really frustrating! You used to be able to buy 98 Ron quite easily. And Maxol (for a while) sold a fuel that was 10% ethanol.

But it's all gone now! All you can get is poxy 95 everywhere.

So, I'm chuffed with the booster, even if it is a bit pricey!

I'm going to be doing a road trip around the west coast and the top of Scotland and I'm pretty sure that it'll only be 95RON available but my car is APR tuned to 98RON. Hopefully half a bottle per tank should do the job to keep the RON count up as it will be getting its head kicked in and I don't want to be giving it a kicking if it's only running 95RON

Smash it's teeth in and report back buddy :happy2:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 09:31:38 am »
Just been looking on Ebay. there is quite a few alternatives, brand wise. may give it a try

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 11:09:21 am »
I buy this the NF in bottles of 5 from this crowd. Lovely lady called Cheryl handles the shipping etc. She's great to deal with.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has a good (or bad) experience with it :happy2:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172359017167

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:02 am »
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-114253-vp-madditive-power-boost.aspx

I tried this and noticed a slight increase in performance but actually started to get a slightly better MPG response on my car (I always use momentum or v power on my car but don't use it on track - just normal city driving)