Make a donation

Author Topic: Seat Leon FR K04 converted  (Read 12296 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Seat Leon FR K04 converted
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:50:42 pm »
Seat Leon FR 2008 DSG in black

As it stands
K04 turbo
K04 injectors
200bar sensor
rs4 valve
3 bar MAP sensor
Ramair CAI
Turbo back decat exhaust
Aftermarket large intercooler
HPFP re-built VIS stage 1 internals
NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs
Genuine R8 coil packs
Air-con delete
KW coilovers
Eibach anti roll bars front & back
Full custom welded roll cage
Sparco sprint seats
Willians 5 point harness

Need to sort out the fuelling and then take it to r-tech for a decent map. Hopefully all in time for the summer! Thanks to @Dan_FR  for taking time to help and answer questions!

Just been doing a few basics, getting it ready for summer.

Oil and filter, bought cheap oil to run for 200ish miles before swapping to millers. New fuel filter, NGK-BKR7EIX spark plugs, cam follower, HPFP and pick-up pipe o-rings, sump sealant and a new dipstick as the little orange ball about half way had disappeared from the disptick... I was reunited with it later on.

Took the sump off to see if anything was in it and to clean it as well as the pick up pipe. To clean it I used kitchen towel first to get most of it clean, then a bit of white spirit, with an old microfibre last. Also made a prison shank to use as a scraper on the burnt residue.

And there's the little orange ball.

The old follower was pretty beat up, looks like its never been changed. Cam lobe looks and feels OK through the cam chain cover though. Hopefully its a Rev B inlet camshaft with the tougher two-piece lobe. I know some BWA engines come with Rev A inlet. I wont know untill i either do the cam chain at some point, or could take the vacuum pump out and have a look.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:37:34 pm by Pesky jones »

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
Re: Seat Leon FR
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:53 pm »
Nice Leon buddy, looks like it's being well looked after.

What's the part number for the sump sealant you have there?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:25 pm »
Very nice car with good specs so far  :happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:28:48 pm »
Any pics of he interior dude?  Who did your cage?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 10:41:20 pm »
More than welcome mate :drinking:

Getting the essentials out of the way early - best way to start TFSI ownership. :happy2:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:09:41 pm »
Nice Leon buddy, looks like it's being well looked after.

What's the part number for the sump sealant you have there?
SD176404A2 Thanks, thats the plan.

Very nice car with good specs so far  :happy2:
Cheers just needs a little more hardware

Any pics of he interior dude?  Who did your cage?
I do but need to upload them, will get them up soon. Previous owner fitted it, somewhere in bury st edmonds from memory

More than welcome mate :drinking:

Getting the essentials out of the way early - best way to start TFSI ownership. :happy2:

:happy2: :drinking:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:09 pm »
Didn't even realise you got rid of the golf bro?.

Yeah whack some hardware on and you'll be laughing  :grin:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
Re: Seat Leon FR K04 converted
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:14 am »
So I've done a bit of work on the car recently

New r8 coil packs to solve a misfire at high RPM - luckily the packs were the issue

Removed the bonnet sound deadening. Bizarrely, the previous owner deemed the front plastic wheel arches too heavy and removed them (although they actually serve a purpose in as much as protecting engine components (air filter, ECU etc.) from water/grit, but also the aerodynamics of the car) but didn't remove sound deadening. So anyway I removed the deadening which presented another problem. With the scuttle panel arrangement on the leon mk2, water can make its way through and drip onto the engine. Not so much of a problem if you have sound deadening as it just soaks it up and becomes mouldy, or if you have the stock engine cover as it protects the engine from the water. However, as I run an aftermarket induction kit I needed to address the issue before water started dripping through and onto my coil packs. (as a side note - I think the previous packs may have failed from this issue, even with the deadening - as the previous packs showed rust on them) The solution was to remove the scuttle panel and run a thin line of beading along the bottom, as well as filling in the holes. It seems to have worked as I don't seem to find any damp areas on the valve cover/coil pack area and when I pull the packs they are not rusty.

I also bought front arch liners from a guy breaking his leon and fitted them. No more muddy/gritty engine bay

I have also started looking at the hardware required for my stage 3  :wink: mapping at r-tech. Currently the car is mapped to the 2 bar MAP sensor, stock HPFP stock injectors, stock fpv and stock rail pressure sensor. And its a bad map as well, so the hardware needs to go in, and the map needs to come off.

I bought VIS internals for the HPFP as I have heard positive reviews. I re-built the pump with the VIS internals in the weekend just gone, it was a strange but not too demanding process. I am yet to put the pump back in the car so fingers crossed it has all gone right!

I have also bought the RS4 fuel pressure valve and the 3 bar map sensor. So I still need S3 injectors and the 200bar fuel rail pressure sensor. However, once I have those two, technically I can only install the FPV as the others need to be installed at the time of mapping. And seeing as the only thing I can fit before mapping is the FPV, which needs the inlet manifold off, I might as well wait for the injectors and do it all at once. Also want to give the valves a good clean when the manifold comes off. Im not sure yet whether i'll attempt this myself at home, and send my ECU to Nikki for a base map, or whether to get R-tech to do it all at the time of mapping.

So fingers crossed I might just get it ready for early summer for some decent track time!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 02:23:18 pm »
Getting there  :happy2:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »
So I've done a bit of work on the car recently

New r8 coil packs to solve a misfire at high RPM - luckily the packs were the issue

Removed the bonnet sound deadening. Bizarrely, the previous owner deemed the front plastic wheel arches too heavy and removed them (although they actually serve a purpose in as much as protecting engine components (air filter, ECU etc.) from water/grit, but also the aerodynamics of the car) but didn't remove sound deadening. So anyway I removed the deadening which presented another problem. With the scuttle panel arrangement on the leon mk2, water can make its way through and drip onto the engine. Not so much of a problem if you have sound deadening as it just soaks it up and becomes mouldy, or if you have the stock engine cover as it protects the engine from the water. However, as I run an aftermarket induction kit I needed to address the issue before water started dripping through and onto my coil packs. (as a side note - I think the previous packs may have failed from this issue, even with the deadening - as the previous packs showed rust on them) The solution was to remove the scuttle panel and run a thin line of beading along the bottom, as well as filling in the holes. It seems to have worked as I don't seem to find any damp areas on the valve cover/coil pack area and when I pull the packs they are not rusty.

I also bought front arch liners from a guy breaking his leon and fitted them. No more muddy/gritty engine bay

I have also started looking at the hardware required for my stage 3  :wink: mapping at r-tech. Currently the car is mapped to the 2 bar MAP sensor, stock HPFP stock injectors, stock fpv and stock rail pressure sensor. And its a bad map as well, so the hardware needs to go in, and the map needs to come off.

I bought VIS internals for the HPFP as I have heard positive reviews. I re-built the pump with the VIS internals in the weekend just gone, it was a strange but not too demanding process. I am yet to put the pump back in the car so fingers crossed it has all gone right!

I have also bought the RS4 fuel pressure valve and the 3 bar map sensor. So I still need S3 injectors and the 200bar fuel rail pressure sensor. However, once I have those two, technically I can only install the FPV as the others need to be installed at the time of mapping. And seeing as the only thing I can fit before mapping is the FPV, which needs the inlet manifold off, I might as well wait for the injectors and do it all at once. Also want to give the valves a good clean when the manifold comes off. Im not sure yet whether i'll attempt this myself at home, and send my ECU to Nikki for a base map, or whether to get R-tech to do it all at the time of mapping.

So fingers crossed I might just get it ready for early summer for some decent track time!

Hi Tom,

If i've read this thread correctly, your Ko4 converted already? Then no need for S3 injectors as you will already have them  :confused: @Pesky jones
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:30:09 pm by fab5freddy »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 08:41:17 pm »
Cage pics!  :party:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »
Hi Tom,

If i've read this thread correctly, your Ko4 converted already? Then no need for S3 injectors as you will already have them  :confused: @Pesky jones

Sadly not. Half arsed conversion by previous owner - K04 turbo, K03 injectors, some sort of map that isn't very good. Will be a totally different car with 2+ hardware and some R-Tech magic

TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:08:25 am »
What Dan said. He's very kindly being helping me through logging, interpreting the data, explaining how it all works and what it means so knows the ins and outs of the car :happy2:

Fitted the pump with new and improved internals back on tonight and been out in it for a few runs/logs. What a difference, it actually holds pressure all the way! Starting to get a taste of what its capable of now. As Dan says, once the injectors and associated k04 sensors go in, and Nikki gets his hands on it, it should be quite fun :)

Mike - here are some pictures - I don't have many mate! I think you may have already seen them on the fb group? Although, the cage itself is coming out unfortunately. I'm not confident in the welds, the bends in the tubes + seeing as I drive it on the roads a bit as well I think its for the best. For now, a harness bar will be going in so I can still run bucket seats & harnesses. Although long term plan is a welded rear only half cage when funds allow.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 01:12:29 am by Pesky jones »

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:56 am »
Hi Tom,

Sadly not. Half arsed conversion by previous owner - K04 turbo, K03 injectors, some sort of map that isn't very good. Will be a totally different car with 2+ hardware and some R-Tech magic

That's nuts  :mad:  Good luck with it Tom, you'll be a happy camper indeed when Nikki gets his hands on it  :evilgrin: :driver:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:04:22 am »

Indeed. Chatted in FB, thought I recognised it. I should have known as there aren't many caged Leon's!

Sounds like a sensible plan