Author Topic: Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG, Now R-Tech Mapped...  (Read 4392 times)

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 377
  • -Receive: 73
    • Email
Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG, Now R-Tech Mapped...
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »
And onto the next project...

5/12/16...

Well as most of you know My Golf Edition 30 sold on Friday and went to its new owner in London, Behind the scenes over the past Week I have been in talks with a gentleman in Taunton who was selling his MK6 Golf R DSG. I had quite a few examples to choose from but as always most where high in mileage with sketchy Service History and up at very strong money.

I had an excellent budget for the right 6R and infact I considered a 7R but think I will give one of those a miss for a few Years, As I have found viewing previous cars top money does not always mean the car is any good!

I spotted a car on Autotrader that ticked all the right boxes and was up at a realistic price, So I made some enquiries, Asked a few questions and arranged to go down and view the car today. It is a long way from Sheffield to Taunton but luckily I get free Rail Travel on Cross Country services so even if I walked away from the car I had a day out and it cost me nothing but my time so it was worth a look.

I was met by the owner who kindly took me for a Coffee and we had a good look through the paperwork, I then spent a good 20 Mins looking around the car followed by a test drive. All good in that department so it was just down to the money...

I will be honest, At the price the car was up for I was not going to haggle as it was already worth every penny and bearing in mind I sold my last 6R for £500 more earlier this Year I was happy to pay the asking price if the car was as described. He was very honest when I mentioned the money and basically said he was fed up of time-wasters offering silly P/X's and that he has been given a Porsche Cayman S by his Father In Law hence the reason for selling the Golf and that he wanted a hassle free sale which was why it was competitively priced, He then went onto say he had been offered £750 less than the asking price by the main VW dealership down the road and that he was considering selling it to them if I didn't want the car.

So guess what, I offered the same amount as the dealership and he accepted...Happy Days! It was a bloody bargain.

So onto the car...

The car has had 3 Previous Owners, Firstly an elderly owner, Second a VW Enthusiast who had a few various VW's and was his pride and joy and Thirdly for the past 2 Years by the chap I purchased the car off. Again he is an enthusiast and has owned everything from MK2 Golf GTI 16V's, MK5 Golf GTI's and even BMW E30 M3's and the Golf R was his Weekend car and spent most of its time in the garage hence the low mileage, He has only every ran the car on Super Unleaded and has over Serviced it too which is a big thing for me.

The car has only ever been hand washed and regularly Waxed and this shows in the cars condition, Bodywork wise its very good and most importantly it is original. The OSF wheel does however has some minor kerbing marks but the Tally's will be getting replaced so I am not overly concerned.

Current Spec...

MK6 Volkswagen Golf R
2011/61 Plate
Steel Grey Metallic
5 Door
DSG Gearbox
Full Service History, Mostly VW with a few Independents....9K, 18K, 26K, 33K Inc DSG/Haldex, 36K and last Month 37K Timing Belt & Water Pump.
38K Miles
18" Talladega Alloys
Bi-Zenons (Standard on the R)
Convenience Pack (Standard on the R)
Winter Pack
Luxury Pack
Vienna Leather with Heated Fronts
RNS 510 DVD Touch Screen with voice control, Sat Nav & MDI
Parking Sensors Front and Rear
Rear Camera
Genuine Floor Mats

The drive home...

Circa 5 Hours and 250 Miles, I was a bit knackered to be honest but the DSG made really light work of it, Sadly the car doesn't have Cruise Control but I will certainly be getting it retrofitted as its a must for me. I was not going to walk away though because of this! First impressions of DSG is really good, I need to get used to it as there was a few moments where I went for the Clutch pedal on approach to junctions LOL. Most of the way it was left in D with the odd bit of driving in Manual mode using the Paddles.

I filled up just off the M5 with Shell V-Power, Reset the MFD and averaged 36MPG which is spot on really, 60-70MPH most of the way back.

However I was a very naughty boy on the way back and made a slight detour to Hinckley/R-Tech...I had been chatting with Ben while I was on my way down on the Train and as I got £750 knocked off the price I had technically already budgeted to spend it today HAHA.

Ben kindly stayed behind as I got stuck in traffic on the M6 and I spent £550 on a few goodies, I figured I was going to buy them at some point and wanted to give R-Tech the business so bought the following...

Revo Intake
R-Tech Twin Plate Heat-shield
GFB-DV+ Diverter Valve
Genuine R8 Coil-Packs
NGK BKR7EIX Iridium Spark Plugs

Plans for the car....

Along with above items and even though the car has been Serviced recently I intend to go through everything as I always do, The car will get all New Genuine Filters, Millers 5W40 Engine Oil, New PCV and a New Cam Follower.

The car has Continental Sport Contact 5's on the Front circa 4MM and Michelin PS3's on the Rear with 6MM, I intend to buy a new set of Michelins for the Front.

Then onto the cosmetics, The car has been looked after but is no way up to my standards and will keep me busy over the coming Weeks. The Engine Bay needs some attention and a good clean, The wheels require removing and deep cleaning/Sealing, The Brake Calipers and Hubs require rubbing down and repainting then a general Full Detail and Waxing/Winter Protection on the bodywork.

I am confident that after some time and effort it will make into a really nice car, It is hard when you have just sold a car that wanted for nothing and in a way have taken a step backwards with regards to condition but I know from past experience that by putting time and effort in I can hopefully get the car upto an excellent standard.

Modification wise I have been researching over the past Week, I intend to go a little further with the uprgades on this car...

Full 3" TBE Exhaust, Possibly a BCS System including Sports Cat and the quietest option
R-Tech Stage 2 Custom Map
R-Tech DSG Map

Should hopefully be circa 340BHP/340LB/FT or Torque and more than enough.

Chassis wise, Superpro ALK, Undecided on Dampers and Springs? Possibly the VWR set up as the car doesn't have ACC so I can swap the Dampers or if I can justify it then Bilstein B12. I don't fancy going for Coilovers. Wheel wise TD Pro Race 1.2's in Gloss Black.

Having seen pictures of Hurdy's Steel Grey 5-Door Golf R lowered on TDPR 1.2's in Gloss Black it looked absolutely spot on for me and that is a look I would love to have on my own car.

Think that just about covers everything, Of-course as and when I will keep updating the thread in usual fashion.

No proper pictures as yet due to the car been absolutely filthy after today's epic journey home, Just a couple of teasers taken from the advert though...

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:09:27 PM by bonelorry »
Previous: Edition 30 number #0952, Edition 30 Number #0337, MK6 Golf R, Edition 30 Number #1799
Current: Mk6 Golf R DSG, R-Tech Stage 1 Engine and DSG Mapped = 320BHP & 356LB/FT

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e6u2nl789jc2ialpsfch0kr1b4&/topic,102535.0.html
Re: Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it progress. The Pro Race 1.2's will look lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 66
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:31:40 PM »
Yay!  Good choice!  :congrats:

You will now proceed to make me extremely jealous with what you do to it.  Enjoy!

Paul.

Online Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 391
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:46:48 PM »
Beautiful choice

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 116
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »
Absolutely stunning. Looking forward to thread updates.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist, Keyless, 19" Santaigo's

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 72
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:39:35 AM »
Fabulous Simon  :grin: - can't wait to see the finished project  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:17:30 PM by Powervalve Nige »

Offline Ollie6R

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
Lovely Simon, good choice coming back to a 6R  :happy2:

Online AJP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 384
  • -Receive: 266
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
Will you keep this one for more than 5 minutes...?

Congrats on the purchase.

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
Thanks everyone!

You will be seeing the car at some point Nige thats for sure! Thanks for replying to my PM :)

Anyone would think I have a new car every couple of Months.....Wait a Minute. I do  :grin:

Hoping to keep this one, I want to go Stage 2 and get the DSG mapped also. Should be fun!
Previous: Edition 30 number #0952, Edition 30 Number #0337, MK6 Golf R, Edition 30 Number #1799
Current: Mk6 Golf R DSG, R-Tech Stage 1 Engine and DSG Mapped = 320BHP & 356LB/FT

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »
6/12/16...

Day 2 of ownership and after the 250 Mile trip home yesterday the car was looking a little sorry for itself and needed a bit of TLC, Spent around 6 Hours Detailing it today and can already see I made the right choice.

The previous owners have looked after the car no doubt, However there is always some room for improvement and after todays efforts it looks like a different car already.

Still plenty left to do on the car as always and I have not even started on the Engine Bay yet, Hopefully tomorrow.

Usual Bonelorry wash process...

: Rinsed the car, Wheel arches and Wheels thoroughly.
: Cleaned the fuel filler flap. All door, Bonnet and boot-lid shuts, Front Scuttle and Rubber door window seals using Valetpro detailing brush and APC to high concentrate.
: Rinsed car again.
: Applied Iron-X fallout remover, Left for 5 mins to take affect.
: Rinsed car thoroughly.
: Washed the car using 2 bucket method one panel at a time with a Eurow Lambswool mitt and Meguires ultimate shampoo.
: Rinsed car again.
: Removed any Tar specs using Autoglym Tar Remover.
: Clayed the whole car using Megs mild clay and Megs Detailer spray as lubricant.
: Dried the whole car using Elite XL drying towel.
: Dried the whole car with Elite XL drying towel, Dried the wheels, Door shuts and engine bay with Microfibre towel.

: Poorboys Black Hole applied with Soft Applicator and left for 10 Minutes to Haze, Removed with Microfibre Cloth
: Waxed the car using Collinites No:845 liquid insulator wax, The bottle was placed in warm water to help separate the wax and turn it into liquid, Then given a good shake before application. Using a soft applicator to apply, Left 30 mins to cure and Elite buffing towel to remove.

: Glass cleaned and then Polished using Autoglym.

: Wheel Arches dressed using Aerospace 303, Excess wiped away.
: Tyres dressed.

: Polished the Tailpipes using Autosol.

Too cold for getting the D/A out at the moment but in fairness it looks pretty damn good as it is, bags of depth and glossiness on the paint. Steel Grey is an awesome colour. My main priority was getting some Wax on the car but as always the key is in the prep, It is done now so I can focus on doing some servicing work hopefully tomorrow if all the parts arrive at TPS.

Couple of pics from today...

Iron-X after initial application...

After 5 Mins, Not too much fallout came off the paintwork but the wheels on the other hand...

Wash stage...

Claying the car removed a considerable amount of Traffic Film, I did it in 4 Stages using 2 pieces of Clay and turning after each Stage....

Drivers Side...

Passenger Side...

Roof, Bonnet and Front Bumper...

Rear of Car, Tailgate and Bumper...

PB Black Hole time...

Finished result, I am getting good at this...

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 72
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!

You will be seeing the car at some point Nige thats for sure! Thanks for replying to my PM :)

Anyone would think I have a new car every couple of Months.....Wait a Minute. I do  :grin:

Hoping to keep this one, I want to go Stage 2 and get the DSG mapped also. Should be fun!

In that case I'll get one warmed up for you  :happy2:

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

Torn on whether to go for Gloss Black Tailpipes or not  :thinking:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 40
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e6u2nl789jc2ialpsfch0kr1b4&/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
Welcome back to the R club looks spot on that  :happy2: much prefer the look of the 5 door ones in these as well. Had me around a month and I've just given up trying to get some winter protection on it, so looks like il have to wait until the spring to give it a good detail.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:17:03 PM by Chris92 »

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 07:16:00 PM »

Torn on whether to go for Gloss Black Tailpipes or not  :thinking:
I was thinking the same before I ordered mine, so glad I didn't now. 
Lovely car, I'm sure it'll get the love it deserves!

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:37 PM »
Welcome back to the R club looks spot on that  :happy2: much prefer the look of the 5 door ones in these as well. Had me around a month and I've just given up trying to get some winter protection on it, so plenty of washes will have to do until I can give it a good detail in the spring.

Thanks Chris, Good to be back! I like both the 3 and 5 doors but looking at some pictures of my current 6R and my last one I am very happy with my choice and happy to have a 5-door. I know what you mean about Detailing cars at this time of Year, I was lucky today that the rain held off but just as I had finished removing the Wax it was starting to go dark so I timed it just right!