Author Topic: Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG, Now R-Tech Mapped...  (Read 4390 times)

Online Andy

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 391
    • Email
Re: Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG, Now R-Tech Mapped...
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:32 PM »
dare i say this one is a keeper for a while :smiley:

Very possible!

Car is pretty much perfect and just how I want it now.....Fully Serviced Including DSG & Haldex, Brand New Suspension, Brand New Wheels, Brand New Tyres, Fully Detailed, Remapped.

I would be crazy to let this one go yet, I set myself a target of 6-12 Months for this one  :grin:

:signLOL:

Offline djnibz

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
Absolutely love this! My next car is going to be a 6R or 7R, got a gti at the moment but find it not good at putting power down lol 

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 377
  • -Receive: 73
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2017, 06:28:20 PM »
Absolutely love this! My next car is going to be a 6R or 7R, got a gti at the moment but find it not good at putting power down lol

Thank You!

Yes it was getting a little tedious struggling for Traction in my last Edition 30 which was over 300BHP, Fantastic cars the MK5 GTI/ED30 but having Front Wheel Drive and Cold/Wet Conditions putting the power down is always going to be an issue. It can be managed with a few Chassis upgrades, Decent Tyres and a Linear Pedal Map but you can only do so much.

I am really enjoying the 4WD on the 6R and the additional flexibility with the R-Tech Stage 1 Map, You never actually know the 4WD is doing anything until you think about what you have just done in the car and know from previous experience that I would not have had a cat in hells chance of doing it in my old Edition 30.

On my way home from work a few Nights ago, Rolled up to a T-Junction which joins the A616 Bypass, Saw nothing was coming so popped it into Manual Mode, 2nd Gear and put my foot down from about 10MPH. It was a cold damp night around 3 Degrees Temp, I would never normally bother in previous Cars and would short-shift into 3rd or 4th Gear before feeding the power in.

The 6R however no issue, No TC light, No wheel hop, No Torque Steer, It just catapulted me down the road. 2nd Gear and 60MPH came up in a few seconds, Hit the Paddle to go into 3rd and then 4th and gave over. Everything was against the car conditions wise and every fibre in my body told me not to put my foot to the floor as it simply would not grip but it did.  :driver:
Previous: Edition 30 number #0952, Edition 30 Number #0337, MK6 Golf R, Edition 30 Number #1799
Current: Mk6 Golf R DSG, R-Tech Stage 1 Engine and DSG Mapped = 320BHP & 356LB/FT

Online AJP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 384
  • -Receive: 266
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »

Thank You!

Yes it was getting a little tedious struggling for Traction in my last Edition 30 which was over 300BHP, Fantastic cars the MK5 GTI/ED30 but having Front Wheel Drive and Cold/Wet Conditions putting the power down is always going to be an issue. It can be managed with a few Chassis upgrades, Decent Tyres and a Linear Pedal Map but you can only do so much.

I am really enjoying the 4WD on the 6R and the additional flexibility with the R-Tech Stage 1 Map, You never actually know the 4WD is doing anything until you think about what you have just done in the car and know from previous experience that I would not have had a cat in hells chance of doing it in my old Edition 30.

On my way home from work a few Nights ago, Rolled up to a T-Junction which joins the A616 Bypass, Saw nothing was coming so popped it into Manual Mode, 2nd Gear and put my foot down from about 10MPH. It was a cold damp night around 3 Degrees Temp, I would never normally bother in previous Cars and would short-shift into 3rd or 4th Gear before feeding the power in.

The 6R however no issue, No TC light, No wheel hop, No Torque Steer, It just catapulted me down the road. 2nd Gear and 60MPH came up in a few seconds, Hit the Paddle to go into 3rd and then 4th and gave over. Everything was against the car conditions wise and every fibre in my body told me not to put my foot to the floor as it simply would not grip but it did.  :driver:
You're making me envious of you and your R! I can't wait for spring/summer. Although I'll still struggle a bit til 3rd  
Sounds like you're happy with your setup and enjoying it's capabilities. Just think how good it'll be at 2+. I honestly think at that point you should upgrade to a TTE420/480 and sell me the k04. Win win!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 161
  • -Receive: 362
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hrrkbdpmosibl6cq690a7k5b27&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »
I guess I'm lucky that it doesn't rain that much here. Putting the foot down in 2nd and 3rd is so awesome!  :evilgrin:

Online AJP

• Thank You
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
I guess I'm lucky that it doesn't rain that much here. Putting the foot down in 2nd and 3rd is so awesome!  :evilgrin:
You're k04 aren't you Shoduchi? I think the fact my k03 spools so fast from low revs makes it a bit keen to spin up, maybe moreso than a k04? Certainly since the Loba pump went in it really boosts hard. 350+ lb/ft before 3k.

Having said that, when I was struggling in 2nd during the summer (hot and dry) I was on worn MPSS, maybe 2mm. I put new PS4 on in the Autumn and immediately noticed that straight line grip was improved. By this time the roads were getting wet so I rarely drove the car hard anyway, but maybe this summer I'll be able to use 2nd. It could just be that the MPSS were past their best, albeit with a legal tread!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hrrkbdpmosibl6cq690a7k5b27&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
You're k04 aren't you Shoduchi? I think the fact my k03 spools so fast from low revs makes it a bit keen to spin up, maybe moreso than a k04? Certainly since the Loba pump went in it really boosts hard. 350+ lb/ft before 3k.

Having said that, when I was struggling in 2nd during the summer (hot and dry) I was on worn MPSS, maybe 2mm. I put new PS4 on in the Autumn and immediately noticed that straight line grip was improved. By this time the roads were getting wet so I rarely drove the car hard anyway, but maybe this summer I'll be able to use 2nd. It could just be that the MPSS were past their best, albeit with a legal tread!
I have an Ed. 30. Highest torque at 2500 rpm but it's tuned to keep it steady and doesn't reach 350 lbft. Maybe that also helps with traction. :thinking:

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »
You're making me envious of you and your R! I can't wait for spring/summer. Although I'll still struggle a bit til 3rd  
Sounds like you're happy with your setup and enjoying it's capabilities. Just think how good it'll be at 2+. I honestly think at that point you should upgrade to a TTE420/480 and sell me the k04. Win win!

2+ is the absolute limit I will be going to and it wont be a balls out 2+ as I am going to keep the stock 6R Intercooler, Probably 350-360BHP but hopefully 370-380LB/FT Of Torque and with the Uprated Loba Fuel Pump it should be across a much broader RPM Band! With a TTE420 the costs soon spiral out of control and you run the risk of pushing the DSG Clutch Packs which I certainly don't want to do.

It is currently an excellent all round package albeit with its current Set-Up/subtle upgrades...

: The combination of Grip from the 4WD and New Michelin PS4's. The new Tyres are also much quieter than the previous.

: The VWR Suspension, SALK and Lightweight Wheels have improved the ride quality and the overall feeling of how the car now responds and turns in. It almost feels more nimble, More responsive, With less body roll and no skittishness. Also the look of the car has been improved with the subtle drop in ride height.

: The Stage 1 Engine and DSG Map have improved the way the car drives massively but I do think that it will be a Stage 2/2+ when it really comes alive! I will be honest and say my old Stage 1 ED30 once rolling was a quicker car without a doubt. You can feel the additional 150KG on the 6R especially with the roll on Acceleration above 70MPH, The ED30 really thrived in those conditions 3rd and 4th Gear roll on was fantastic. Although going back to my previous post, The 6R at Stage 1 is just like "Whatever" and the additional 50BHP and 80LB/FT of Torque over stock has not highlighted any weaknesses. It just gets on with it.

Chalk and cheese with regards to how they both drive, Not comparing the FWD vs 4WD and not knocking the FWD chassis either they are both very good at different things.

I don't doubt that with the extensive chassis upgrades that your car has, Good Tyres and a warmer/dry climate that you can get the most out the FWD Chassis! I am sure that over here in the Summer Months you can really push a 300BHP+ GTI/ED30 and a Quaife LSD or the likes will help even further with regards to corner exit speeds and so on.

I think for me the 6R really shines because as others have mentioned they are waiting for Spring/Summer time to come so they can enjoy their GTI's and get that additional power down in the lower Gears, The 6R offers its performance all Year round come rain or shine.

I do wonder how people with 2+ Edition 30's go on especially at this time of Year :thinking: Even with a Linear Pedal Map there is only so much you can do with 370LB/FT Of Torque, A wet road, Good Tyres, Decent Suspension and FWD.

Again I must add that I am not turning this into a VS post, Both at Stage 1 straight line performance wise the ED30 was a quicker car no doubt once rolling.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:48:49 AM by bonelorry »
Previous: Edition 30 number #0952, Edition 30 Number #0337, MK6 Golf R, Edition 30 Number #1799
Current: Mk6 Golf R DSG, R-Tech Stage 1 Engine and DSG Mapped = 320BHP & 356LB/FT

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
In my opinion the 6R or a S3 makes all the sense in countries with damp roads, so you made the right choice to get such fine example. You can enjoy it fully all year around.  :happy2:

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 31
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
I do wonder how people with 2+ Edition 30's go on especially at this time of Year :thinking: Even with a Linear Pedal Map there is only so much you can do with 370LB/FT Of Torque, A wet road, Good Tyres, Decent Suspension and FWD.

I've had such problems with traction in my 2 n a bit eddy this past few months that it's pushed me into buying a 4x4 suv to get about.
Live on a very steep lane, lots of building work/farm traffic, and mud n sh1t like i have never seen in past 20 yrs living there!
It has been so bad that if I stopped part way up, I couldn't pull away at all.
Neither Council nor Environment Agency want to get involved!

Online AJP

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »

I've had such problems with traction in my 2 n a bit eddy this past few months that it's pushed me into buying a 4x4 suv to get about.
Live on a very steep lane, lots of building work/farm traffic, and mud n sh1t like i have never seen in past 20 yrs living there!
It has been so bad that if I stopped part way up, I couldn't pull away at all.
Neither Council nor Environment Agency want to get involved!
Two birds one stone. Keeps the miles off the Golf, and makes you appreciate its power when you get back in it. I quite like the idea of running a beater over winter!

Offline bonelorry

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: Today at 08:51:49 AM »
Two birds one stone. Keeps the miles off the Golf, and makes you appreciate its power when you get back in it. I quite like the idea of running a beater over winter!

This time last Year I actually ran 2 x Cars as I thought that having a cheap Daily that I didn't really care about and a second impractical toy would cover all bases, I had a stripped out Astra GSI Turbo that I was going to do an Engine Transplant on and a Suzuki Ignis Sport as a daily. I sold them both and bought my last MK6 Golf R Manual.

Reason for this was that I was running the £1000 Suzuki everyday in relative discomfort and in a car that although was fun did my head in but I was pumping money into a car that spent most of its life sat under the car port on the drive, When the time came to use the weekend toy I found myself just using it to commute in to save the battery going flat. I just saw it as dead money that I would never see a return on and that I was not actually enjoying either. I never go out for a drive just for the sake of it anymore and only make a journey in the car if I need to, If I am going anywhere locally I walk and if I am having a day out on a day off Generally involving Real Ale I use the Train as I get free Rail Travel.

Yes if I owned a Classic Car which I had restored or a Motorbike could I justify owning a Daily Driver also, A Golf is built to be practical and driven all Year round unless it is a MK1 GTI etc.

This might sound extreme but if I was in @grey golfster's situation then I can appreciate why you would purchase a second car and probably a 4x4, However if I was faced with that scenario with Building and Farm work and had no choice but to drive through it I personally would not own a nice car at all. I sometimes add a couple of miles onto a journey to avoid any Farm Roads, Infact I have been known to stop and turn around when I reached a road covered in cow sh*t. I spend too much time keeping my cars as Immaculate as I can to ruin them...I wont even go to the Dumpit Site in my car I use my other halfs Fiesta and the same goes for Shopping. Ofcourse I appreciate your position when you have no choice to get to your house :(