Make a donation

Author Topic: Too low....  (Read 5421 times)

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Too low....
« on: December 18, 2016, 06:19:57 pm »
Hi all, I've bought a new car recently golf mk5 gt tdi sport 07 plate.

It's too low for me and I would like to heighten it a little but haven't got a clue were to start. I messaged the guy who I bought it off and he said the front has adjusters on and he had the adjusters for the rear and would post them but it's been over a week and I haven't revived them and would like to sort it out over Christmas while I have a bit of time.

What do I need to buy for the rears?

Thanks for any help

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 08:54:57 pm by jacko17 »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Too low....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:25:12 pm »
the link isnt working

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »
I think I can tell you what's going on. Once you get some pics working and confirm what brand of coilovers you're on we can tell you more.

Basically your front springs are sat on a perch/collar that can be adjusted up and down the shock on a thread. The shock sits within the spring. Hence the name coil over. I'm guessing it'll be wound right down to the bottom. To adjust it you'll need a c-spanner - when you buy a set of coilovers you get one of these in the kit for adjusting the spring perch (and therefore ride height) up and down the threads on the shock body.

The rear is a bit different. The vast majority of rear coilovers for the mk5 aren't strictly speaking coilovers. The spring and damper are separate. To adjust the ride height on the rear there's a cup that sits at one end of the spring. The cup is in two parts. One threaded part stays in place against the car's suspension arm or the locator at the top end. The second part threads onto that part and is where the spring itself sits. Again, you adjust it with the same c-spanner.

A lot of people remove the adjuster in order to gain a further drop in ride height that couldn't be achieved with the adjuster in place. The downside to this is that the rear now essentially becomes a fixed height spring kit with no height adjustment. Then usually the fronts are wound right down to match the rear's new drop.

If you need to you should be able to order a pair of rear adjusters. You'll need to know specifically what coilovers they are.

As for the fronts, there's a fair chance the adjusters might be seized onto the threads. But hopefully you can budge them.

Get hold of a c-spanner and a pair of rear adjusters and it's an easy diy job to raise it up.

ETA: If you can see any branding, part numbers or logos on the shocks, take some photos of those and post them up. You need to identify exactly what you've got fitted. You'll have to jack the car up and take a wheel off. Use axle stands once it's up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:15:55 pm by AJP »

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 07:28:10 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

That's exactly what the guy said for the rears. Something to do with the adjusters sitting in the axle cup. I'll give him another message and see if he answers me.

It's the two platic side panels that are scraping and it doesn't sound nice. Rather just adjust the hight a but so it doesn't catch.

I finish work Wednesday so I'll jack it up then and have a look at the make.

Any idea how much they cost?

Thanks again

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:02:33 pm »
Thank you for the reply.

That's exactly what the guy said for the rears. Something to do with the adjusters sitting in the axle cup. I'll give him another message and see if he answers me.

It's the two platic side panels that are scraping and it doesn't sound nice. Rather just adjust the hight a but so it doesn't catch.

I finish work Wednesday so I'll jack it up then and have a look at the make.

Any idea how much they cost?

Thanks again
When you say plastic side panels do you mean the arch liners, at the front? If so, do a search for the 'arch screw mod'. I suspect it's already been done but if not it might help.

As for the adjusters, they shouldn't be too expensive. I ordered a new pair for some Weitecs from Awesome GTI a while ago and I think they were 20 quid or so.

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 04:38:00 pm »
It's the side plastic side panes on underneath on each side similar to this.....http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/06-BODY-Under_Body_Tray_Removal/images_large/pic01.jpg

Mine are a little different though and seem to have a triangle shaped bit is the middle that seems to catch.

Got a reply from the guy I bought the car off and he's going to send me a link to the ones I need.

Hopefully get it sorted while I'm off over Xmas

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:55 pm »
Right....he's give me a message back  they're JOMS coilover on atm. This is the adjusters he says I need.
Is there anything else I can get these are in Poland....
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Coilover-Spring-Adjusters-40mm-ADJUSTMENT-for-60mm-INNER-SPRINGS-ANODIZED-/172416037734?nav=SEARCH

Thanks again...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:20 pm »
Right....he's give me a message back  they're JOMS coilover on atm. This is the adjusters he says I need.
Is there anything else I can get these are in Poland....
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Coilover-Spring-Adjusters-40mm-ADJUSTMENT-for-60mm-INNER-SPRINGS-ANODIZED-/172416037734?nav=SEARCH

Thanks again...
What I'd do is google "mk5 golf jom coilovers" and see which of the bigger reputable uk companies stock the Jom coilover kits then give them a call. Most should be able to get some adjusters shipped out without too much of a delay.

I've dealt with AKS before (as many of us on this forum have) - Alex and the team are very helpful and know VWs inside out. Alex is on here too. I'm not sure if they stock Joms, but even so I reckon he'll be able to help you out:

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/contact-us

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:26:30 pm »
It's the side plastic side panes on underneath on each side similar to this.....http://cdn4.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/06-BODY-Under_Body_Tray_Removal/images_large/pic01.jpg

Mine are a little different though and seem to have a triangle shaped bit is the middle that seems to catch.

Got a reply from the guy I bought the car off and he's going to send me a link to the ones I need.

Hopefully get it sorted while I'm off over Xmas
Where the green arrows are pointing? These bits do hang a bit lower than the rest of the undertray. And they're catching the road? If so I'd agree you're too low!

Do bear in mind though that it's possible your undertray is sagging. It happened loads with the mk4, although I haven't heard it being such an issue with the mk5.

It'd probably help to get it up on a ramp or over a pit for a proper look. If it is sagging you'll want to get it fitting properly regardless of how low you are.

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:49 pm »
No, it's more where the red arrows arrows are the front and the back clear fine it's in the middle that catches

Had it on the ramp at a local garage to see what was scraping I initially thought it was my exhaust clamp. But when he put it on the ramp and looked it was clear that it was the two side underbody panels.

Emailed JOM today and asked about rear adjusters for the coilovers. Got a reply to say they do sell them £25 each. Had to phone up today to place an order should be here tomorrow.

The order is coming from venom sports. Must be a company linked to them.

Hopefully have it sorted soon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:29:54 pm by jacko17 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 05:37:48 pm »
No, it's more where the red arrows arrows are the front and the back clear fine it's in the middle that catches

Had it on the ramp at a local garage to see what was scraping I initially thought it was my exhaust clamp. But when he put it on the ramp and looked it was clear that it was the two side underbody panels.

Emailed JOM today and asked about rear adjusters for the coilovers. Got a reply to say they do sell them £25 each. Had to phone up today to place an order should be here tomorrow.

The order is coming from venom sports. Must be a company linked to them.

Hopefully have it sorted soon
Must be really low if you're catching there. Were the panels damaged or lower than they should be? I very rarely get a slight scraping from something underneath over speedbumps. I'm only 30mm down on springs. I wonder if it's the same place for me. Rather that than any part of the exhaust though!

Just double-check which end of the springs the adjusters should go and you should be fine. Pretty sure it's at the top of the spring on a mk5. It'll probably only fit one way anyway.

Let us know how you get on.

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 07:34:24 pm »
Well the tire sits in either arch so you can't see the top of the wheel so it's pretty low.

The panels are quite weird on the sides, there's a triangular bit I ln the middle which is lowest part. On the right hand side that had cracked and abit has broke off. The left one is fine.

I'd rather just adjust the hight abit so there's no catching. It's a bump at work where it catches going into the car park. It's more of a bump that you get at a haven camp site (the only way I can think to describe it

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 07:39:52 pm »
The car park is on a bit of an incline when going in aswel. On the way out it doesn't catch.

I won't be doing it myself I'll be taking it to a local garage he will only charge me £10-20 it fit them.

Thanks for your help I'll let you know how I get on

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »
Ended up getting them fitted last week finally.

Done the job car hasn't been scraping and all was going well :laugh: had to give someone a lift into work today and.....yes it was scraping again    :scared: 

It this part that is catching at looked under the car today and some of it has broke away....http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Bd8AAOSwU-pXveXS/s-l300.jpg  does anyone know the correct name for them?

Are JOM coilover pretty much budget coilovers? Might have to get a different set or go back to standard suspension.

Thanks

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 06:34:10 pm »
Ended up getting them fitted last week finally.

Done the job car hasn't been scraping and all was going well had to give someone a lift into work today and.....yes it was scraping again    :scared: 

It this part that is catching at looked under the car today and some of it has broke away....http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Bd8AAOSwU-pXveXS/s-l300.jpg  does anyone know the correct name for them?

Are JOM coilover pretty much budget coilovers? Might have to get a different set or go back to standard suspension.

Thanks
Jom are just about as budget as it gets. I've heard people saying they're a bit soft as coilovers go. Once you start tucking tyre you do need a fair bit of stiffness to avoid fouling the arches under compression.

Can you not wind all 4 corners up a bit now you've got the rear adjusters in?

I'm not sure on the specific name of that piece of undertray, but generally speaking mk5s don't start scraping under the body before tyres rub arches. So maybe there's a bit of value in getting under the car and making sure everything is as it should be.