Make a donation

Author Topic: Too low....  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
Re: Too low....
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:33:52 pm »
Im lowered about 80mm and only scrape my underside when going over the large speed bumps.
You 100% need to get those C Spanners out and wind the coilovers up.
You'll be fine to not scrape if you make the very top of your tyre wall just about tuck in the arch.
I run a but lower than that but I have a lot of negative camber to avoid catching on the actual arches

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:12:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Now the adjusters are fitted is it as easy as jacking it up, taking the wheel off and turning the adjusters with a c spanner? If it is I'll order a Cspanner from an Amazon and have a go.

I've had the car on the ramp at a local garage and it's all fine underneath you can see where it's catching the plastic underbody bit.

It's quite a weird bump at work where its catching. Its the sort you get on a holiday camp.... going into the car park at work but it's on a bit of an incline.

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 06:15:36 pm »
Im lowered about 80mm and only scrape my underside when going over the large speed bumps.
You 100% need to get those C Spanners out and wind the coilovers up.
You'll be fine to not scrape if you make the very top of your tyre wall just about tuck in the arch.
I run a but lower than that but I have a lot of negative camber to avoid catching on the actual arches

With myself in the car it fine, it's when I'm giving someone a lift. But I'd rather it not catch at all.

The car was lowered when I bought it and you couldn't fit your hand in the wheel arch.

Looks like I'll have to get the spanner out and have a Go.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:13 pm »
Really weird that the adjusters weren't fitted to start with ... I thought they had to be on coilovers tbh.

But yes, if they are on just get the c spanners out and wind the spring up. Should get the c spanners from the guy who sold you the car though, as not all c spanners seem to be the same. What I've found in the past anyway.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 11:18:19 am »
Really weird that the adjusters weren't fitted to start with ... I thought they had to be on coilovers tbh.

But yes, if they are on just get the c spanners out and wind the spring up. Should get the c spanners from the guy who sold you the car though, as not all c spanners seem to be the same. What I've found in the past anyway.
They do on the front as there wouldn't be anything for the spring to sit on. Definitely wouldn't work.

But on the back, if it's a separate shock and spring setup (which afaik 99% of coilies on the mk5 are) the adjuster bits can come out. Gives more lows but zero height adjustment

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 06:30:55 pm »

They do on the front as there wouldn't be anything for the spring to sit on. Definitely wouldn't work.

But on the back, if it's a separate shock and spring setup (which afaik 99% of coilies on the mk5 are) the adjuster bits can come out. Gives more lows but zero height adjustment

I could of sworn the adjusters are still on my rears on the FK Highsport coilies. Either that or I'm dreaming things. Definitely didnt have to take the lot out to wind it up when I was too low, just jacked it up and did it still on the car with c spanners.

Offline jacko17

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 11:09:39 am »
Thanks again for the replies.

Well when I got the car it had the adjusters on the front and I think he did have them on the back but he took them off to get it lower. He was going to send them me in the post but then said he couldn't find them so I ended up just ended up buying a pair myself. I did buy a Cspanner online. Looked a lot bigger in the picture...not sure if that will do the  job.

Only way to find out I'll jack it up and have a go over the week end. Thanks again for the help