Make a donation

Author Topic: My New MK5 GTI  (Read 15852 times)

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
My New MK5 GTI
« on: December 22, 2016, 09:37:53 am »
Hello,

I'm new to the group, I picked up a Golf MK5 GTI on Sunday evening. My first VW, so far I'm loving it.

It's quite an early car, (twice the age of my previous car) but has all the usual GTI extras. Heated leather interior is very nice at this time of year!

The car is totally standard for now except for some H&R lowering springs fitted by the previous owner. Since Sunday it's had a new battery, pollen filter and aircon clean, new DV and Cam follower and today its on the ramp for a service and new oil pick up pipe.

In need of some new front brake discs too. I was hoping to do an upgrade for some R32/S3 brakes but they might need to go before I can afford the parts! :(
In the new year a few more upgrades will be coming its way. I work at CLP Automotive in Sheffield so the car will want for nothing really. For now it just needs a few little bits to tidy it up.

The boot badge has "white worm". From what I have read the "3d" mk6 rear badge is a straight swap so I think I'll go for that. Both mirror caps need replacing and the interior door handle/grab handle and window switch are very worn, ideally I'd like to change those too. But aside from a few aesthetic niggles the car is now in great condition. I'll update again soon with more pictures!

I've got some 15mm spacers to fit to the rear, might even be on today.

Plans are
MK6 Rear Badge/boot handle gone for the mk4 badge idea instead
ED30 Rear Valance/Bumper decided it's not worth the cost!
Scorpion Turbo Back
Racingline/VWR Induction Kit
APR
GFB DV+ Ordered and on its way! :laugh:
New Mirror Caps

New wheels - really stuck here, there are lots I like. Staying 18'. Any suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:01:39 pm by Vader »

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: My New MK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:15:16 pm »
Welcome mate, looks good base.

Si

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 04:03:16 pm »
as above, looks a great car.

I will keep up-to date on your thread for the progress :happy2:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »
some nice plans and a good base to make it your own, will be looking forward to see it all unfold  :smiley:

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 05:52:26 pm »
Welcome mate  :happy2:

Personally I like the alloys you have at the moment. Worth having a browse through these to give you some ideas.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19933.0.html
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »
Welcome along. You're just up the road from me. Car looks clean, some nice plans for it too.

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 09:04:59 am »
Thanks for all the positive replies. I don't mind the standard wheels, but I've got my eye on a few different styles that I think will work.

Im astounded at the sheer amount of choice when it comes to air intakes for this car. Lots of brands lots of different styles. I quite like the look of the Evolution Motorsport kit or the Neuspeed. I also have Racingline and K&N available to me through work.

I ended up fitting the spacers on the rear yesterday, sits lovely now. Just need some 5-10mm for the front to even it out a little.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:30:33 am by Vader »

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:58 am »
Here also welcome :happy2:
And love the Black 5 door stelth model! :wink:

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 10:04:28 pm »
Intake wise I've got a ramair oversized intake, under normal driving it can be a little loud inside the car but turning the music up louder sorts that  :happy2: sounds nice outside the car though, check my build thread as I've got a little video of it, I've got the pre cat delete done too which makes it sound a little different  :smiley:

Offline JamieKirk95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »
Looks a really nice example you've got, I have an evolutions kit on mine and love it, really happy with it :happy2:

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 05:38:09 pm »
Nice start with some positive ideas.

Mines also an early one. Check out my build thread for ideas  :happy2: I've done a lot of the mods you talk about.

Enjoy and welcome aboard. 

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:26 pm »
bang tidy that. I so need to be me some springs of some sort! (best colour too :P)

Offline Palmer02

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • Instagram palmer02
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »
 Nice, I'm picking up a 06 plate tomorrow  :happy2:
06 5 door gti steel grey
14 530d m sport
15 fiat 500
berlingo van

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »
Just gave the car it's first clean since picking it up. I've been dreading it as you always find something wrong that you didn't spot before! I'll let the pics do the talking...

I took a few pics of the niggles I plan to sort. Mostly just wear and tear..

As you can see the interior handles have taken a bit of a beating in their lifetime, as have the switches. Replacements will be with me this week :)

Rear badge is a right mess. Unsure what to do with it just yet. Also, you might have noticed that the "GTI" badge is in an odd place on my car. Didn't notice this until I parked next to another gti the other day. Really bugging me now. I might try reposition them but I don't think they will go back on very well so might need to replace them.

I also have some melted plastic (I think) stuck to my rear bumper. I'm really not sure how to get it off, tried picking at it but its pretty solid. Also it looks like someone has had a go at getting it off before me and taken some paint with it....

Exhaust tips are fubar too but I'll be replacing the entire system at some point so I'll try put up with them!

Cracked mirror cap too, didn't notice this when I bought it. (I dunno how I missed it) Will be ordering new ones this week possibly carbon fibre ones.

After cleaning the car up the standard wheels have grown on me, so I may not bother replacing them after all. Leaves money for other things then!

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 07:06:57 pm »
Looks smart, good plans so far. I've got a Ramair induction kit (not the oversized) and can't fault it. Almost identical to my mates revo and half the price!