Make a donation

Author Topic: My New MK5 GTI  (Read 15847 times)

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 22
Re: My New MK5 GTI
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:23 pm »
have a look on eBay for grab handles and also you can get chrome tipped window switches - they totally clean the inside up. Also, for a quick and dirty fix on the exhaust tips, again search eBay for Audi A4 exhaust tips/sleeves. They cover up nicely until you get a replacement.

have you put the rear spacers on?

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 02:14:12 am »
Get the interior grab handles from the dealer/TPS, you'll be surprised how much cheaper they are compared to eBay! I got my MK6 chrome switches from AliExpress and they work fine and illuminate correctly in the dark, plus it's not pricey too for the set (link).

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:20 am »
have a look on eBay for grab handles and also you can get chrome tipped window switches - they totally clean the inside up. Also, for a quick and dirty fix on the exhaust tips, again search eBay for Audi A4 exhaust tips/sleeves. They cover up nicely until you get a replacement.

have you put the rear spacers on?

I'll be getting them through TPS from work so shouldn't be too expensive. My switches are actually on the way to me. I'll look into the exhaust sleeves though as mine are terrible and a little rotten. The rear spacers are on now, looks pretty chunky at the rear end now. I might go 15mm on the front too. Dropping the brake upgrade for now as the discs and pads are that far gone I've had to get replacements. Didn't have the cash for an upgrade.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:29 pm »
Looks good! Plenty of jobs to keep you busy and you'll enjoy every minute of it.

You're welcome to have a flick through my build for any ideas since we have many of the same faults i.e. handles, badge etc.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »
A little update, no new pics just yet though.

I ordered some GTI seat handle inserts from ebay and fitted those. Nice little mod. I've got a new rear badge/boot handle to fit. Just ordered a GFB DV+ and a Superpro lower engine mount insert. They will be fitted tomorrow along with a brand new vac pump too as the current one is leaking oil. That will be it for this month probably as it also had new Brembo discs and pads upfront. Annoyingly my order for new window switches has been cancelled as all their stock was damaged.  :confused:

Hopefully if it doesnt snow this weekend I'll give it a clean and make a start on tidying up the paintwork. Panel by panel :P

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:24 am »
So my car was back on the ramp at work again. The last piece of the puzzle (mechanically) has been fixed. The seal on the vac pump had failed and was leaking oil. Did thing it was the pump itself that had split but luckily it was just a £1 rubber seal. Which has saved me £140 for the new part. Now that all the known engine issues are sorted I can start looking at upgrades and improving the bodywork. On a very frustrating note I hit the mother of all potholes the other day and as it transpired I have indeed buckled the front right wheel  :doh:. Very frustrating but its not too serious and it is repairable. While it was up on the ramp yesterday I got the GFB and Superpro lower mount insert fitted.

GFB DV+ and SuperPro Insert installation

I went for the fast road option on the insert. In case anyone isnt sure, the insert fills the voids in the standard bushing, restricting movement of the lower mount/transmission mount (what ever you want to call it) The difference is noticeable immediately. There is a little vibration in the cabin on initial cold start, but it settles down as the engine warms. Less engine movement means more power to the drivetrain, in this case its feels far less sloppy after gear changes, although rough/bad gear changes now feel far less forgiving  :signLOL:

Next on the list if either the new revision PCV valve or a PCV delete kit. I have a slight suspicion that the HPFP might be struggling at times too. (I really hope it isn't). I should be able to get it on the Dyno at work sometime and see exactly how its performing but I do seem to keep getting a light loss of boost/power every so often. I'll update when I know more.

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 10:35:36 am »
Hi All,

Been a while since I updated this thread. Not an awful lot has happened. New revision PCV valve has been fitted. Along with a new intake! I went for the Integrated Engineering intake. Reasonably new to the UK, to the point I have the first kit fitted to a MK5 in country. :pomppomp: Really happy with the kit, fitment and quality is very good. Sound is quite addictive too.

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 12:43:11 pm »
I like your progress with your Gti, nice changes and all that are well worth doing :happy2:

I am going to fit a dog bone mount soon, just to keep me going until i get engine mounts, so it good to hear it is definitely worth doing.

the IE intake does look good, I like the wrinkled effect on the pipe work :)

Your Gti is looking great, whats the desired end result?

bit of a sh*ttter about the pothole, car tax money is clearly not used for maintaining the roads, we have a 5.8 foot wide 1.4 foot deep hole on a mini roundabout in crawley that hasnt been looked at for near enough 1 month. apart from the lady that had a rant on facebook this weekend and measured it etc...

Jake
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:48:19 pm by SurreyED30 »
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »
I like your progress with your Gti, nice changes and all that are well worth doing :happy2:

I am going to fit a dog bone mount soon, just to keep me going until i get engine mounts, so it good to hear it is definitely worth doing.

the IE intake does look good, I like the wrinkled effect on the pipe work :)

Your Gti is looking great, whats the desired end result?

End result isn't really all that far away I don't think. Power wise I think stage 2 will be enough so I'm just getting hold of the hardware. The car is my daily driver and I drive it 40miles a day so whatever happens to it it has to remain practical, especially as my commute is looking to change to doing snake pass twice a day. I'm looking to change the wheels but I'm very fussy when it comes to wheels. So many options. I prefer motorsport styled wheels but I do fancy a set of plain old pescaras. Part of me thinks thats a bit of a boring choice but we will see. We've just become a Rota dealer at work so it's opened the door to a huge host of different wheel styles! Ultimately the car is to be a fun, clean usable daily.

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:43 pm »
Little Update.

My standard exhaust dropped off so upgraded to the Scorpion 3' Cat Back. Non res pictured below but ended up changing for resonated. Little too loud for me.

Got myself some new wheels too! BBS CK. Very very happy with the look of the car now.

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »
Love the CK's! Are they a little wider or did you go for spacers on the front too? Sits well  :happy2: Also, hows the cat back compared to standard?

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »
The bbs wheels are a big improvement on the looks
Edition 30 num 859

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 08:29:51 am »
Looks great on the CK's mate  :happy2:

Offline Vader

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 10:54:04 am »
Love the CK's! Are they a little wider or did you go for spacers on the front too? Sits well  :happy2: Also, hows the cat back compared to standard?

Thanks! They are a little wider. 8j. The non res cat back sounded good at the top end but 2-3k just a bit too boomy and loud for me. With the resonator in there its similar to stock, a little louder and a deeper tone. Hopefully with have the cash for fuel pump and downpipe in a few months and go for stage 2+.

Offline J4k3

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 07:43:08 pm »
Looks really good this  :happy2: