Make a donation

Author Topic: Pendle Performance Remap and Cornwall owners????  (Read 2761 times)

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Pendle Performance Remap and Cornwall owners????
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
Hi all.

Just to give you some feedback from a recent dyno run I had on my ED30 which is running a Pendle Performance remap.

Pendle Performance are predominantly renowned for their turbo diesel remapping, historically on VAG engines (particularly in the VW van community) but are becoming increasingly more diverse across manufacturers including turbo petrol units. A good friend of mine is an agent for them through his garage 'Collins of Probus', when I got my ED30 2 years ago he remapped it for me and it has been running very sweet ever since. My friend (Gary) has recently spent out on a Maha rolling road so needless to say I had to find out what was happening under the bonnet and what the gains were!

First and best run gave 307.6bhp at 6240rpm which I am more than happy with! As you can see from the dyno print out this is a pretty linear and smooth power delivery. Torque was 357nm at 4645rpm, again happy with that, particularly that it doesn't drop below 340nm at all across the range from 2500rpm. I think we are going to have a look at the torque output again though, most other reputable tuners remaps are putting out 400nm+ at around the 3000rpm mark, so we are hoping to develop a higher peak torque and more characteristic curve low down. The car is going back in next week for a service, new slicks and hopefully improved map.

Anyone in Cornwall should give Collins a call. Yes I'm a good friend of Garys and would only say positive things, but I also know how seriously he takes his work and how important providing great customer service is to him and his company.

I'm not claiming Pendle are the best, so if we can avoid turning this thread into a 'mine is better than yours' it be would appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Images

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Bigstickytoffee/media/20161222_094844-1_zpshohk8pkq.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Bigstickytoffee/media/20161222_090548-1_zpsc2xwvcbj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Bigstickytoffee/media/20161222_092333_zpsziyfpaz6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Video of my second run giving a slightly lower output:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEfUbW5h8U

Sent from Samsung tablet
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:35:57 pm by BigstickytoffeeGTI30 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Pendle Performance Remap and Cornwall owners????
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:14 am »
You might run into HPFP deficiencies when trying to increase the midrange torque, if it's still got the standard one.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
Okay cool. I don't really want to start altering the car too much as I'm not after big gains and big modding. Out of interest what do think the current standard fuel pump is good for?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:33 am »
There's no defined limit mate.  Same applies to the clutch if you've got a manual.

I think my ED30 was the runt of the litter as both the clutch and HPFP gave up at exactly 300lbft!  I had no choice but to fit uprated parts.  I totally understand your approach but these 2 mods both improve matters rather than ruining the car, which some mods can do.

You won't really know until you start pushing it, but an uprated HPFP is needed for midrange torque on the K04 engines.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
There's no defined limit mate.  Same applies to the clutch if you've got a manual.

I think my ED30 was the runt of the litter as both the clutch and HPFP gave up at exactly 300lbft!  I had no choice but to fit uprated parts.  I totally understand your approach but these 2 mods both improve matters rather than ruining the car, which some mods can do.

You won't really know until you start pushing it, but an uprated HPFP is needed for midrange torque on the K04 engines.
The Loba pump I had fitted also made a huge difference to my k03 car. I agree that it seems some standard pumps seem to cope better than others. @bonelorry is mapped to 350+ lb/ft on the standard pump on his mk6 R. Quite impressive if it holds out, but it wouldn't surprise me if he encountered a fuel cut at some point.

@BigstickytoffeeGTI30
An uprated pump will allow a more aggressive map in the mid range, and power delivery is just so much nicer. The only downside is that wear to the cam follower is theoretically increased with an uprated pump. No biggie, just check the follower regularly as you would anyway. It's a really underrated mod.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:13:40 pm »
Do you have any VCDS logs. Would be interesting to see whether it's a half tidy map or a 'whack the boost up' kind of map
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »
Another Cornwall Ed 30 owner here...near Fowey...
Steel Grey - PHZ...
Tow bar (yes really!)

Thanks for the tip about Collins at Probus (where exactly is the garage? I was down past the Merc dealers the other day and there is a bigish new shed next door, is that it? I have been getting my Golf basics done at Blackpool, while I am away for work, with the tuning stuff done by Awesome, just West of Manchester (and handy for M6).
But as APR 2 now, with a £30 upgrade to 2+ in the pipeline I wont be trying any other maps; that will be it!

With the others, above, re the Loba HPFP - made a massive difference to the feel/driveability of mine, even without the 2+ remap. TSR at Taunton did a very good offer, and they fitted it, with a RS4 R/V. I have already posted about this mod several times; well worth the money.

See you about then?

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:21:03 pm »
Hi grey golfster!

Tow bar!? No way! For towing a boat around Cornish shores perhaps? If so the fastest boat on the road surely!!??

Yes Collins is just behind the Mercedes dealers at Tresillian. They are based in the front 2 units of the industrial estate there. I play 5 aside at fowey college so am often out that way.

If more Cornish boys take note of this thread it would be cool to organise a meet!?

Thanks to all for the feedback on the fuel pump, we'll see how things go next week and what budgets permit. Regarding vcds logs I'll see if there is anything I can provide. Mine is a dsg for reference.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:23:11 pm by BigstickytoffeeGTI30 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 10:03:49 am »
Looks like a good dyno plot to me  :happy2:  The premises are spotless and they've invested in a decent dyno, so Tesco car park generic flash bandits these guys most definitely aren't.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:58 am »
Yes pudding a great set up there. Spotless usually, Gary would probably like me to say ignore the work bench and equipment in the background of the video, he had a carpenter in over Christmas who had left his tools out!