Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf edition 35 intercooler  (Read 8698 times)

Offline b7unr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Golf edition 35 intercooler
« on: December 31, 2016, 10:10:57 am »
Hi I have a edition 35 with full turbo back and decat, ramair panel filter  (recommended) over cold air? It feels slower atm  :surprised:
My question is what intercooler do I need? I've been told s3 upto2008 but am confused if I actually need to change it at all before all remap.
I'd like 360 bhp or near to it without changing fuel pump.
Any info appreciated.
Thank you  Paul

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Golf edition 35 intercooler
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »
As far as I know your engine is pretty much the same as an ed30 - detuned k04 TFSI. Which means you'll really want to do the pump if you're wanting that kind of power, reliably. The later TSI engines don't struggle for fuel like the TFSI.

As for the cooler, I'm not 100% sure, but assuming it's the same as the ed30 (and therefore k03 TFSI GTI) it'll be the little one. So while an upgrade to an S3/mk6 R (CDL) cooler would be beneficial, being k04 something like a Peron, THS, Airtec OEM replacement intercooler would be ideal.

Best thing to do is give Ben a ring at R-Tech in the new year, or drop them an email. They'll be able to give you a definitive answer. And I guarantee they'll recommend a pump upgrade.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:31 pm »
Fit:
Intake: Revo/EVOMS/Ramair oversized CAI/VWR
IC: Peron revised version, Wagner, Airtec stage 2
HPFP: Loba or APR complete pump or Vis Motorsport or Autotech internals

Put V-Power Shell or Tesco 99 Ron petrol and go to R-Tech for a custom tune. Should make more than 360 BHP. :happy2:

Offline JoshH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:51:10 pm »
As far as I know your engine is pretty much the same as an ed30 - detuned k04 TFSI. Which means you'll really want to do the pump if you're wanting that kind of power, reliably. The later TSI engines don't struggle for fuel like the TFSI.

As for the cooler, I'm not 100% sure, but assuming it's the same as the ed30 (and therefore k03 TFSI GTI) it'll be the little one. So while an upgrade to an S3/mk6 R (CDL) cooler would be beneficial, being k04 something like a Peron, THS, Airtec OEM replacement intercooler would be ideal.

Best thing to do is give Ben a ring at R-Tech in the new year, or drop them an email. They'll be able to give you a definitive answer. And I guarantee they'll recommend a pump upgrade.

Need to check mine but the E35's are CDL also so may well have an R/S3 front mount

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:51:52 pm »
Fit:
Intake: Revo/EVOMS/Ramair oversized CAI/VWR
IC: Peron revised version, Wagner, Airtec stage 2
HPFP: Loba or APR complete pump or Vis Motorsport or Autotech internals

Put V-Power Shell or Tesco 99 Ron petrol and go to R-Tech for a custom tune. Should make more than 360 BHP. :happy2:
I've heard about this revised Peron a couple of times now. Can you tell me more about it? One respectable name in the tuning world told me he found a fair bit of pressure drop with a Peron, which I assume was pre revision.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »

Need to check mine but the E35's are CDL also so may well have an R/S3 front mount
Someone in some thread said it was CDL a while ago. But with it being a low boost k04 engine I didn't see how it'd be a CDL.  Since then I learnt that there are a few different versions of the CDL, with a suffix denoting each one. One up from a BYD in quite a few ways then.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:21 am »
It has a CDL engine. There are a few revisions of the engine. Not sure if it has a R/S3 IC. I'd need to check on ETKA.

The revised Peron IC works well. It's all I know. You can contact AKS Tuning to order the correct revision at a good price.

Offline JoshH

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:21:18 am »
Where can you identify the revision number? Is it the engine number? I'll pop out and. Heck to clear it up if I know what to look for  :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 03:29:16 pm »
I guess you can see the revision on the cambelt cover, on a sticker on your owner's manual or on a sticker in the trunk's floor.

There are the following revisions of that engine:
-A
-C
-F
-G
-J
-K

Source: http://vag-codes.info/files/engines/vw-engines.pdf

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 07:28:13 pm »
Any particular reason (other than a restricted budget) that you don't want an uprated HPFP?

I would recommend the HPFP & RS4 prv mod; makes a very real difference regardless of any target numbers that you have in mind.

Offline b7unr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:02:41 pm »
Hi Yes it is a cdl engine with ko4 I have been told it's the same as the R just not 4wd, the only reason I didn't want to upgrade fuel pump is budget. They seem quite expensive as do all the the intercoolers. The s3 intercoolers isn't to badly priced but if it's the same size no point in buying it.
Apr said they can give me 333bhp with cold air induction and not the panel filter which maybe good enough, can't see the extra 30 odd bhp making that much difference for the extra £1000 for intercooler and hpfp  tbh?. Or maybe it would. They also said no intercooler unless i track it whixh i dont. Also no hpfp needed, they said I could go straight to stage 2.
I'm a little confused.
R tech are to far away from me unfortunately but he did say hpfp and intercooler and I know he knows his stuff but so do Apr. 

Offline b7unr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 09:09:46 pm »
Ideally I need someone who has done turbo back exhaust and induction then upgraded the fuel pump and intercooler just so I know if it would make that much difference.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
An uprated fuel pump will be way more beneficial than an uprated intercooler. At Stage 2 you'll be on the edge of the standard pump's output. Honestly, inlet temps are down the pecking order at this point, unless you're beating the sh*t out of it.

The standard fuel pumps are inconsistent and become a bottleneck at Stage 2. Google 'tfsi stage 2 fuel cuts' and see what you think.

If your CDL has the S3/mk6 R cooler, then happy days. Get a Loba. Get the map.

If not, and you want to uprate the cooler, do so. But do it at a point when you can also do the pump, and then get the map.

Stage 2+ might as well be called Reliable Stage 2 for me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:07:06 pm by AJP »

Offline b7unr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 11:03:33 pm »
I do give it some  sh*tsh*t tbh but I'll put th intercooler a miss for now.
Awesome want £620 do you know anywhere cheaper.?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:56 am »
I do give it some  sh*tsh*t tbh but I'll put th intercooler a miss for now.
Awesome want £620 do you know anywhere cheaper.?
Try AKS Tuning. I've had all sorts off them before; they're usually the best prices, and they know their stuff. Give them a ring, mention you're on this forum and you should be able to get a better price. It's also worth fitting an RS4 return valve as suggested earlier in the thread. They're about 40 quid.

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/contact-us
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:37:25 am by AJP »