Make a donation

Author Topic: Jacks mk5 Tornado Red GTI  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Jacks mk5 Tornado Red GTI
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 11:26:22 am »
So there hasn't been much progress on the modification front but managed to get the car in my friends garage for a x2 stage paint detail.
we decided it would need cutting back and then bringing back up with the extra fine grade, we had a choice of compounds and decided to go with the meguiars.
we used the following:
- Rupes Big Foot DA polisher
- Valet pro advanced Snow Foam
- neutral Shampoo
- Autosmart tyre blacker (doesn't splat your wheels or arches)
- Meguiars cutting and polishing compound
- Gyeon Sealent
- Alot of mirofibres :grin:

We started giving the car a snow foam to remove any surface grime, let it develop for about 5-10 minutes and removed with the jet wash,whilst the car was wet we then removed any tar. once the car was grime free we then used a neutral shampoo (didnt grab the brand) as we didnt want to apply any waxes during the washing stage and got in the garage for a closer inspection.

Even though on previous photos the car looked clean it appeared the paint had a haze/mist all over it, we thought it could have been from previous owners taking it to generic car washes and TFR stains.

Heres a quick pic of the paint on the bonnet before we started, 

We thought a 50/50 on the bonnet would be a good place to start to see if the haze would be removed by the compound or whether we would have to get something more coarse,

The above was after the cutting stage,we continued to do the rest of the bonnet and go over with the polishing compound the difference was unreal!

we then carried on around the car and the difference from when we started were night and day

To seal the paint we used Gyoen Paint sealent which will have around 6-12 months protection.

My friend then saw the steering wheel and was disgusted, said it was far to shiny and needs some attention, he grabbed some g-tehnique cleaner and a new white micro to see what came off it,

after around 5 - 10 minutes of cleaning it came out like this

it now has a nice matt finish again and looks 10 times better than the shiny plastic look prior.

I then went to meet another friend who has a rather modified mk7 R, still rolling his genuine RS3 limitied edition wheels on Accuair Elevel air ride with a boot build installation completed by plush automotive!! :o

I am massively impressed with how the car came out and happy we managed to remove 99% of the swirls, obviously theirs still bits i want sorting after putting it next to the lads's mk7 R's but for 11 years old it hasn't come up bad at all!

Thanks Jack
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 11:34:50 am by Pagejack »

Offline Pirelli_Reece

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • 2008 Pirelli Edition GTI
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 07:29:36 pm »
Tornado red is one of my favourite colours when it's looked after and that looks so good! I could do with correcting the paint on my pirelli, it's just finding time to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 02:19:41 pm »
Tornado red is one of my favourite colours when it's looked after and that looks so good! I could do with correcting the paint on my pirelli, it's just finding time to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah red is a very rewarding colour when clean, turns alot of heads. although i have found the misting is coming back on the bonnet, not sure if its a product im using when doing my weekly clean, have to mix it up and see if i can stop it coming back.

not seen a pirelli edition in the flesh are there many visual differences?

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 02:56:09 pm »
Not much happening at the moment as moneys been spent elsewhere but any ho just a quick update  :smiley:

For a while now the rear disks and pads have bothered me,they have always looked really rusty and well worn so decided for how much they were id get my brother to pick me some up when at work.

I went for just the standard oem solid disks and oem pads

We started on the drivers side, after inspection they didn't look overly bad but changed them for the new parts anyway.

Then the passenger side..... deary me we had to do a double take to make sure it was the same car, extremely warn and hardly anything left on the pad, the disk had grooves, a big lip and looked in a real bad way. once we got the carrier off and whipped the pads out it appeared the seal on the piston had came out.

We doctored it the best we could and ended having to wind the piston back in using the breaker bar due to how far it had come out.

I then decided after looking at the calipers they could also do with a freshen up, I popped down the local hardware shop and picked up some red hammerite.

I know for proper job these should be properly stripped down etc but for a quick freshen up they dont look to bad at all.

The next day my brother had to borrow my car to get to work as his integra was in for a new timing chain, he rings me saying hes had to pull over as he could smell burning and surprise surprise it was coming from that passenger side caliper, it had seized on and as expected got extremely hot.
When he got to work he mentioned it to one of the techs and fair play to him he got it in the work shop on his dinner break and fitted me a new one but unfortunately it was a silver one as this was a bit cheaper.

so yes the day after having already done all 4 calipers it was back up in the air as I needed to paint this one.

Breaks are now great and handbrake is a lot better!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:05:39 pm by Pagejack »

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 03:48:16 am »
Car looks stunning after the detail, super glossy, really nice mods too.

Calipers look great all painted up, hopefully going to do mine this week!

That mk7 is nuts! Like the red lip on the audi rotor wheels.

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 07:57:13 am »
Car looks stunning after the detail, super glossy, really nice mods too.

Calipers look great all painted up, hopefully going to do mine this week!

That mk7 is nuts! Like the red lip on the audi rotor wheels.

Chris

Thanks Chris, happy with its progress  :happy2:

I couldn't believe the difference a quick lick over the calipers actually made, looks a lot fresher behind the wheels.

Hes currently changed those LTD edition RS3 wheels for some Scirocco VWR ones and omg slightly jealous  :grin: not bad for his 'winter wheels' are they haaa

thanks
Jack

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 08:28:28 am »
I thought I was bad using 17" Monzas as winters... hahaha  :signLOL:

To be fair if I could afford it I'd do the same.

Chris

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 09:31:34 am »
A few weeks ago my friend called me whilst we were in traffic and asked if I had my brakes on because my center brake light was near enough non-visible in daylight.
After searching through the forum I saw it was a common problem on the Mk5's and found a couple of how to guides so thought why not give it a go!

Same again my brother comes into it and picks me up a genuine light clusters from work, this was around the £35 mark.

Tools used:
- Small Flat Head Screw Driver
- Plastic Trim Tools (amazon)

First of all I looked around the brake light cluster and on the left hand side the paint looked slightly disturbed as if someone fancied a go previously, I thought this would be a good place to start to save disturbing the other side.

- I used a flat head screw driver as the trim tools didn't seem sturdy enough to initiate the break of the lense.
Quick picture of the first piece of lense broken, you can see by the disturbed paint where I started on the left hand side

- I then proceeded to remove the rest of the red lense using a trim tool,there is no nice way of doing this so you will hear some funny noises (As stated in the link be aware of pieces of plastic  as they have a tendensy to ping off in all direction)

- Once all the lense has been removed you will be presented with the led light cluster

- I then used a trim tool to pry the led strip out (there's x2 small wires going to the rear of the led strip,I just pulled these off as they were no long required)

- I then followed the guide to removing the black casing, this is held on by x2 retaining clip on each side and takes abit of prying from different areas.

- Once pried out the retaining clips stay in place and can be unhooked as they are also no longer needed

- The old light cluster will now be hanging as its still connected by a connector in the spoiler.

- If you follow the wire into the spoiler you will see the wire goes into a rubber grommet, I used a flat head screw driver to pry the grommet out, gently pull the grommet out of the spoiler and the connector will follow.

- You then need to disconnect the old light cluster (self explanatory the little block move to the side and then releases the car hard wiring).

This is now the old light cluster removed and now a case of reversing the last few steps;

- Connect the new light into the wiring of the car.

- Push the rubber grommet back in and feed any excess wire back into the spoiler.

- You now have the choice on whether to put some silicone of some sort on the light to hold it in however Ive just used the clips and it seems more than sturdy.
Then the finished article.

Thanks for reading
Jack
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:33:04 pm by Pagejack »

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 09:38:59 am »
I thought I was bad using 17" Monzas as winters... hahaha  :signLOL:

To be fair if I could afford it I'd do the same.

Chris
I no dude how the other half live  :grin:

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2017, 06:39:09 pm »
Exactly, haha!

Really feel the need to clean my steering wheel too after seeing that!

Chris

Offline JamieKirk95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 10:54:05 pm »
Really like this, just needs a set of ed30 rear lights now :happy2:

I managed to do my brake light without cracking it, its on my project :happy2:

Offline Mk5. EWC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »
Steering wheel came out fantastic!

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »
Really like this, just needs a set of ed30 rear lights now :happy2:

I managed to do my brake light without cracking it, its on my project :happy2:

yeah I had a read of yours dude, coming along nicely :)

yeah edition rears and projector headlights would be nice but cambelt, water pump, cam chain and adjuster is required next to stop it sounding like a diesel.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:34:18 pm by Pagejack »

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 08:29:50 pm »

Absolutely stunning  :notworthy:

Offline Pagejack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 08:35:11 pm »
Steering wheel came out fantastic!

Thanks dude, amazing what a bit of multi purpose cleaner and a good scrub can sort.

Thanks