Make a donation

Author Topic: Vw Racing lowering springs, any good?  (Read 9450 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Vw Racing lowering springs, any good?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »
Sounds like I need the vw racing kit then, thanks lads.

bonelorry has a build thread over at the mk6 section of the site so you can see how they look. I am considering this kit too; although i am really torn between that and blistien b8s with H&R springs.

You'll have to decide how low you want your ride to be. :wink:

yip - i was really close to buying the full kit from awesome. However, I recently got new wheels with a 45 offset and figured the drop on H&R might be too much. But then i saw a build thread with the same spec wheels on H&R springs and think it looks really good. Now i have no clue! lol

I have those springs with Koni Sports dampers and 8''x18'' ET45 wheels. I like the stance and with the rest of the suspension upgrades it's good enough to enjoy track days without being too harsh for daily driving. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 01:44:41 pm »
Sounds like I need the vw racing kit then, thanks lads.

bonelorry has a build thread over at the mk6 section of the site so you can see how they look. I am considering this kit too; although i am really torn between that and blistien b8s with H&R springs.

OEM+ Dub's reference to the VWR spring + B8 damper combo feeling like a MK4 R32 is quite a good comparison.  The R32 rides firmly without being harsh on decent surfaces, but over potholes and badly broken surfaces, it was too crashy for me (heavy 18s don't help) and partly why I sold the car.   The OEM MK5 suspension is the same on the same surfaces though, but the benefit of OEM is more travel, so won't bottom out in the stops quite so easily.

The crashiness was at urban speeds.  In common with other after market kits, things improve the faster you go though.  The car feels way less 'jiggly', unsettled and fidgety on Bilsteins compared to OEM.  It just feels properly keyed into the tarmac and super stable in the bends.

One thing I would say about the Bilsteins is their consistency of damping.  The car feels the same in winter as it does summer.  Some people may not notice the change in damping vs heat build up in the damper oil, but I did, and the B6/B8/B12 are simply superb dampers for consistency.

I would say the VWR full kit, or VWR springs + B8s would be more forgiving than B8s + HRs.   The full VWR kit is probably not in the same league as the B8s under hard cornering and busy surfaces to damp, but is probably the best riding kit out there.   And that's why I'm going VWR because 90% of my car's duties is commuting.  I don't get many opportunities to hoon it, so ride is important.
i think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you've got a good set of tyres like i have "michelin PS4's "  you'll be able to carry a frightening amount of speed into corners and the car stays pretty flat on the vwr setup. you'll lose grip some time after you've lost your lunch

Already running PS4s  :happy2:

Rubbish life span with high power FWD, but super grippy!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline CP-Performance

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 07:22:02 pm »
ST by KW do a kit for the mk5 gti in either 20 or 30mm form. I've got some pics of a customers ed30 on the 20mm spring kit which rides very nice, much like stock with a little extra firmness in the bends reducing roll. Has reduced the arch gap to a nice level in my view

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:24:33 pm by CP-Performance »
Instagram chr1spick
www.cp-performance.co.uk

Offline Duffmeister

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 09:10:03 pm »
That looks about perfect to my eye, where are these available?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 09:07:56 am »
Yeah that ride height is spot on. Hoping the VWR kit puts it at about the same!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:25 pm »
The problem with the sportline set was the rear dropped about 5mm but the front dropped 42mm nd it looked terrible.
I'm after a subtle drop, I think the vw racing spring as said above is 15-20 which is about right for me.
What I'd like to know is Eibach make the vw R springs and from what I've read are the same drop as the pro kit, are these the same spring painted blue or a completely different item?
Confusingly the pro kit isn't listed as a GTI kit for the UK but is everywhere else but if used on the gti drops 15-20mm arrrgggh!
Please help my golf looks like a special off road version after looking at members cars on here!

Were the springs the correct weighting for your car?
Were your "original springs" factory or already lowered.

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:15 pm »
Where did you get those eibach springs from? As I'm looking for a set of lowering springs for my gti

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:01 am »
Where did you get those eibach springs from? As I'm looking for a set of lowering springs for my gti
eBay pal

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 11:56:20 am »
Thank you  :smiley: they look more than 30mm? Have you got through listing on eBay where you got them from?  :smiley:

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Vw Racing lowering springs, any good?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 01:43:08 pm »
Bought them a while back now, can't find the listing sorry
If you google mk5 gti Eibach Sportlines you'll find loads of places selling them. Hope that helps @sean.smithy94