Make a donation

Author Topic: Thinking of moving from Mk5 R32 to Mk6 GTI  (Read 4674 times)

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Thinking of moving from Mk5 R32 to Mk6 GTI
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »
2 years ago I sold my Mk5 GTI and bought a '55 plate Mk5 R32, I love the car but miss the GTI, hence thinking of the Mk6 now.
Plus points of the R32 are, noise, grip and the completely planted feeling on the road amongst others. Downsides are fuel consumption, boot space, slightly higher road tax, higher servicing costs.
Plus points of the GTI seem to be more nimble on it's chassis and not as heavy, more modern overall especially interior, better fuel consumption, cheaper servicing, larger boot (yes sad I know but it's also a family car !).
Has anyone gone from R32 to GTI?
Upsides?
Downsides?
Any feedback appreciated especially regarding camchain/tensioner issues - is this is a major concern as my budget will only stretch to earlier cars.
Thanks

MPS

Re: Thinking of moving from Mk5 R32 to Mk6 GTI
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:28:00 am »
If you're not planning on remapping the GTI I'd say stick with the R32. Just my 2p.

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 05:51:52 pm »
If you're not planning on remapping the GTI I'd say stick with the R32. Just my 2p.

Thanks for the reply, just curious to know why?

Offline Saintsteve

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:19 pm »
I would have an Edition 30 over a mk6 GTi personally.
Tornado Red Edition30 DSG Build Number 114
Atlantic Blue Mk7.5 GTE Advance
Follow Saintsteve330 on Instagram

MPS

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:56 am »

Thanks for the reply, just curious to know why?

Speed isn't everything, you'll lose that glorious sound.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 05:11:22 pm »
I would have an Edition 30 over a mk6 GTi personally.

x2

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 06:48:34 pm »
You're right about losing the noise, but it's not about gaining speed and tuning potential. There's something I miss about having a GTI having owned every mark up to the MK5, starting with a MK1 back in 1994. I'm not sure if it's the handling, rev-ability or sheer allround capability of  the cars. The R32 is a great car but more of a GT car than a GTI, a long legged cruiser that will pull from 30mph in 6th all the way to the top, and having owned it for 2 years I've kind of been there, got the 'T' shirt now.
Ed 30 or Mk6 would be a tough one, but crazy money for a 30 pushes me more in the direction of the more modern MK6.
It's going to be a hard decision and one I don't want to regret.

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »
2 years ago I sold my Mk5 GTI and bought a '55 plate Mk5 R32, I love the car but miss the GTI, hence thinking of the Mk6 now.
Plus points of the R32 are, noise, grip and the completely planted feeling on the road amongst others. Downsides are fuel consumption, boot space, slightly higher road tax, higher servicing costs.
Plus points of the GTI seem to be more nimble on it's chassis and not as heavy, more modern overall especially interior, better fuel consumption, cheaper servicing, larger boot (yes sad I know but it's also a family car !).
Has anyone gone from R32 to GTI?
Upsides?
Downsides?
Any feedback appreciated especially regarding camchain/tensioner issues - is this is a major concern as my budget will only stretch to earlier cars.
Thanks

I've been in the same position as you, I've had a edition 30, also a R32 and went from the R32 to a MK6 Gti.
I agree with all of your points with the R32, great car and that sound is something else! Unfortunatly I ended up with a bit of a lemon R32 so ended up trading it for a 2012 MK6 Gti. I've had my MK6 for 18 months, I think its a great car, its lighter than the R32 , its as much fun to drive as the edition 30 was. The interior makes it feel a nicer placer to be, and running costs are a big improvement over the R32.

I've heard a lot of problems with the camchain/tensioner on the early models, 09 to late 10 plates or early 2011's so make sure its been updated to the new version. Also lookout for leaking waterpump!

I miss the R32 noise, and it was a joy to drive in the wet but the car I miss the most is the edition 30!