Make a donation

Author Topic: Inlet camshaft lobe wear  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
Inlet camshaft lobe wear
« on: January 20, 2017, 12:13:33 pm »
500 miles ago I replaced my cam follower on my car - BWA 08. The old follower was worn a little, but not too badly. At that time I checked the cam lobe for wear and couldn't see any, looked nice and smooth.

Yesterday I checked it the follower, and the new follower showed hardly any wear. Some on the inside of the follower, but none really on the outside. However, I checked the lobe again. 95% of the visible surface was fine, there was just a little weird bit to the right of the lobe shown in picture below taken from internet. Although the photo was from the internet, it is similar to mine in regard to the "wear" to the right hand side of the lobe. I couldn't feel any change in surface, and it almost looked like discolouration or maybe even reflection but I don't think im going to be that lucky.

For all I know, this could be the only wear on the lobe as when I previously looked it wasn't there so must have been on the other side of the lobe (different camshaft position etc.)

Few questions - is this wear, and what would cause it, will it worsen if the cam follower is ok?

I don't really fancy taking the cam chain cover off to have a good look at it tbh, but will do if its the only option. I thought maybe taking the vac pump out would be enough to get a good look, but im not sure if you would only be able to see the face - although this would tell me if I have a weak Rev A cam lobe or the stronger 2-piece rev B lobe.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Inlet camshaft lobe wear
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:28:06 pm »
Looks like a shadow but feel it with your finger for any uneven wear  :happy2:
Can won't wear down like that unless your cam follower is on the piss.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:30:25 pm »
Reflection of the curve IMO.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:00:19 pm »
Yeah if it is wear im struggling to see how it would wear like that. I ran my finger over it a number of times, but couldn't feel anything. I could try and disturb the light perhaps to see if it is indeed a reflection, but seeing as at this point the "wear" is only on one part of the lobe (as far as I know) Id have to be lucky to get that view again (car has been started since).

I guess I could take the sparks and plugs out and rotate the engine at crankshaft whilst watching the lobe turn. Can someone remind me which way to turn the engine when looking at the crankshaft nut head on - clockwise/anti clockwise.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »
Stick it in a high gear, take the handbrake off and gently roll the car forward

Can't see the images in work to comment  :thinking:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:10:54 pm »
That looks normal to me.  The texture of the lobe that is, not sure what the bit on the right is all about!

If there was anything significantly wrong with the surface of the lobe, it would chew through a new follower in no time.   The fact you've said your follower wear is the usual little dot in the middle, the lobe is rotating it as it's supposed to, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Turn the engine clockwise, as in towards the front of the car.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:20:33 pm »

DSG Dan, you know this  :laugh: Ill the text you the image.

That looks normal to me.  The texture of the lobe that is, not sure what the bit on the right is all about!

If there was anything significantly wrong with the surface of the lobe, it would chew through a new follower in no time.   The fact you've said your follower wear is the usual little dot in the middle, the lobe is rotating it as it's supposed to, so I wouldn't worry about it.

That's just a photo off the internet. I actually took photos of mine, but got a new phone about an hour later and lost the image haha apart from the bit on the right, mine is actually a lot nicer and smoother than that. Spotless - just that weird little bit. Yep the follower was fine, no real wear at all on the outside, on the inside there was the usual small circular central wear from the HPFP piston. Looks as if its not damaging the follower at all so im going to go on the premise its fine. Im doing the cam chain in a few months time so I'll have a good look then.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:27:15 pm »

DSG Dan, you know this  :laugh: Ill the text you the image.

That's just a photo off the internet. I actually took photos of mine, but got a new phone about an hour later and lost the image haha apart from the bit on the right, mine is actually a lot nicer and smoother than that. Spotless - just that weird little bit. Yep the follower was fine, no real wear at all on the outside, on the inside there was the usual small circular central wear from the HPFP piston. Looks as if its not damaging the follower at all so im going to go on the premise its fine. Im doing the cam chain in a few months time so I'll have a good look then.

You have nowt to worry about then fella  :happy2:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:55 pm »
Totally forgot it was DSG. Ignore me.

Should have bought a manual  :signLOL:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:42:22 pm »
Cheers guys and screw you Dan! :wink:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:22:19 pm »
Haha manuals have their own problems!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:44 pm »
Stuff like this, I was taught to use my finger nail to feel the surface, not the fleshy part of your finger. You can get a really good feel if you drag a finger nail "backwards" across a bearing or running  surface.