Make a donation

Author Topic: Still not covering rust  (Read 4543 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Still not covering rust
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:25 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

I didn't actually physically show them anything. I mentioned it to them after the tried to fob me off and suddenly they changed their tone! Don't get angry with them as they aren't likely to listen to you, stay to the point and provide plenty of evidence.

VW UK were actually really helpful, you get assigned a case manager who will liase between you and the dealership and they basically make things happen.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »
I think some dealers have been taught to say no initially, and then it's like "Oh OK then" after the customer contacts UK HQ.

This disparity in claim behaviour is really frustrating.  I just rolled up, showed them the car, and within 15 minutes it was paint depth checked and booked in for a replacement wing.  2 days later I got the car back with a perfect job done, 100% accurate paint match.  Couldn't be happier with that.

And then I read about plenty of people being fobbed off, it's really irritating and doesn't surprise me being the UK.  If this was in the US or Germany, yep, no quibbles at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:09:21 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 11:04:05 am »
Thats true its like they are puppets they say what they are told not whats right, well im still waiting for there reply  :thinking:

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 01:08:23 pm »
It seems pot luck as to whether the dealership with make your life difficult or not. It's definitely worth trying multiple dealers if you have the luxury of having a few nearby.

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 11:20:06 am »
Ill have to try a few more but the thing is no time

Offline JENKO

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 03:45:47 pm »
I have just been through this - VW went to the ends of the earth to wriggle out of the warranty and dug up that the car had been repaired previous to my ownership (by VW btw) - and as such they were not obliged to honour the warranty.... even though VW themsilves repaired it !! Tossers.

Has nayone got a wing for sale ? :signLOL:

Offline barelyrelevant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
I'm about to give this a go, booked in for the photos and paint depth checking on Thursday. Initially I think they tried to make it sound as though I was the first person in the world to raise the issue about rusty wings but once they saw I knew exactly what the issue was they seemed to change tone a bit.

No idea on if it's had any paint work done before so wish me luck!

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 09:52:30 pm »
Keep us updated on how it goes but dont give up

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:12 pm »
Where's the pics OP?  :smiley:

Offline barelyrelevant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 01:53:26 pm »
Went down to submit a claim today but it doesn't look promising, the wing paint depth is over 500microns in places so the guy said it had been painted in the past. Not sure how those paint depth meters work and if the bodywork was rusty underneath it would cause an incorrect reading?

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
They measure an un-rusty part, anything over 120 indicates paint that wasn't put on by a factory robot.

Offline JENKO

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:36 pm »
Went down to submit a claim today but it doesn't look promising, the wing paint depth is over 500microns in places so the guy said it had been painted in the past. Not sure how those paint depth meters work and if the bodywork was rusty underneath it would cause an incorrect reading?

Exactly what happened to me - they found out through thier own records that the door skin on the panel next to wing had had a repair and was blended into the wing so not is same state as left factory - ironically it was vw that did the repair... they will try and wriggle out of the warranty - I am toying with raising a small claims action as they have really pi&&ed me off!

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »
Its bound to have less paint on it if its got rust on it growing i feel your pain im still waiting on an email back from them i suggest you go and try anoyher dealer?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 04:52:28 pm »
I wonder if the paint depth test accounts for the clear coat and wear and tear?  How much of the paint thickness reduces over the years with detailing?

Here's an idea VW - Date stamp the body panels (or laser etch them or what ever) with serial numbers that can be traced back to a build date, instead of this vague paint test.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JENKO

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »
Its bound to have less paint on it if its got rust on it growing i feel your pain im still waiting on an email back from them i suggest you go and try anoyher dealer?

It's time - but just wont buy VAG again - shame as great car...... let down by petty aftersales and aftercare... it will cost £400 for proper fix (not using ebay repro ready painted wings) - I will have the other side checked now to get revenge :)