Make a donation

Author Topic: Munster's Edition 30 #1595  (Read 6190 times)

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Munster's Edition 30 #1595
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:57:21 pm »
Having been an avid Vw enthusiast and silent lurker for years I can actually start my own thread :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

I'm a mate of Simon (Bonelorry) and have seen his perpetual revolving garage door of deliciousness over time and been very impressed if slightly envious lol. I had a 58 mile commute daily for 18 months so was running an 08 Skoda Fabia 2 Sport tdi 105bhp remapped to 140bhp. A cracking little car and 55mpg to boot was just what I needed. A move of depot and 18 mile commute meant it was time for an indulgence, and that indulgence was to be of the Edition 30 flavour. Took a lot of advice from Simon and his vast knowledge came in very useful in picking through adverts.

#1595 has been owned by two former members off here, I saw the car advertised on Autotrader with 3 owners.
Took the train down to Banbury to look at the car and Mike, the owner was a really sound guy to deal with. Liked the car, did a deal and left a deposit with a view to returning a few days later to collect.

Drove the car back with a big smile on my face, it had taken a few years but finally got myself an Eddy!

Soon as I got back I plundered Simons thread for all the genuine part numbers and set myself up a lil account up at TPS in Sheffield. Bits ordered were all genuine Vw.
Oil filter, sump plug, fuel filter, pollen filter, Rev G DV, PCV and gasket, hpfp cam follower and gasket, oil pick up pipe and gasket, turbo to exhaust gasket and new nuts, Vw sump sealant.
Then from various other suppliers
Millers Nanodrive, NGK spark plugs, VW Racing foam air filter, Genuine Audi R8 red coil packs.

The car had a full service history, mainly Vw and had had new front brake disks, pads and calipers within the last 18 months.
In the last 7 months it had had 4 new Goodyear tyres, new rear caliper, cambelt, waterpump and a service done, all at Vw and they had replaced both front wings under the corrosion warranty.

Firstly it went into the bodyshop and had
Bonnet repainted due to stonechips
4 x Doors removed and sills in door shut areas repainted as there was a few scratches and scrapes...you couldn't see them with the doors shut but I wanted it spot on.

Then over xmas a mate of mine who has a 2 post lift in his garage let me use it for the servicing....so much easier  :happy2:
Full service inc oil and fuel filter, VW Racing air filter, NGK spark plugs, Millers Nanodrive, R8 coil packs
Cam follower and gasket
Rev G DV
PCV and gasket 
Sump dropped and oil pick up changed as a precaution....was bloody spotless as it happens!
Exhaust removed and pre cat removed, refitted with new gaskets and nuts. a few pinpricks in rear box were blogged up with gun gum.

Had a real laugh and some man time doing it, missed the tinkering!

Next up was something that was not on my original list but an almost new 2.75in Milltek cat back came up for sale so I jumped at it, plus it was the quiet one as well so more in suiting of a man in his forties. Am going to match that up to a 3in decat downpipe in the next week or so (ramp permitting)

Then wanted to upgrade the RCD300 as it looks a bit out of place with all the silver buttons. I did want an RNS510 but after spending quite a lot over the xmas period I decided I couldnt justify it and went for a Chinese RCD510, purely for looks as I only listen to a bit of radio on my travels.

Just realised that my Edition 30 badge is missing on the front grill....never noticed before....does the spending ever end??

We are booked in at R Tech in early February for a stage 1 remap, cant wait to be honest :smiley:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:29:31 pm by munster »

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Munster's Edition 30 #1595
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:49 pm »
Spoke to Ben at R Tech on Wednesday and I managed to get a cancellation for Friday, 6 weeks earlier than booked for. That gave me approx 6 hours to get my 3in decat downpipe, 2.75 in Milltek resonated exhaust and Revo intake fitted.
Blagged a favour from the local ATS guys I know and it wasn't too hard as it had been off a month earlier to knock the precat out. eBay special downpipe fitted a treat and lined up lovely. Fitted Revo and set off home. Got 200 yards down the road and HATED it ....slurp wasn't that bad but the tttsssccchhhhh every time you lift off the gas did my head in. Sounded like a Scooby and a 12 yr olds wet dream
Drove it like that to R Tech then got them to refit the original airbox with VW Racing filter in it......mmmm nice and quiet
Came out the car already has a map on it, very high boost and 309bhp. Had some Gower love and came out at 335bhp and 346lb/ft and no clutch slip. That is stage 2 and as far as I will go with it, it's plenty fast enough and intrinsically the future value of the Edition 30 is only a standard exhaust away.
Next step will probably be the 340mm front and 310mm rear brake set up from a 2014 Leon 280 that is sat in the garage. Again my mission is to keep it looking OEM, subtle is my bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Boost junkie
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:53:56 pm »
That's always a result when it turns out you already have the mapping  :happy2:
Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:59:27 pm »
I think the rear brake setup of a 2014 Leon has an electric handbrake so it won't be compatible with your Ed. 30. You need the rear setup of the previous generation. :wink:

Great result from the R-tech stage 2 tune. :happy2:

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »
Lovely example! I may be biased though!
They don't come with a front Edition 30 badge, btw.

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:18 pm »
Welcome along and that's a great looking Eddy you have there. Some result too at R-Tech given the fairly limited mods you've put onto the car. How you finding the Chinese RNS? Does it sync well with your phone and stream music well? iPhone or android? Brakes too are a must once re-mapped, it can be frightening trying to reign in the car on standard brakes.

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:56:13 am »
Good to see you on the forum Wayne! I am a bad influence so it would seem  :grin:

Yet to see this in the flesh but I am sure you are making it into a nice car, Always happy to help were I can and offer advice  :happy2:

Once the Brakes are fitted I would look into fitting a Superpro Anti Lift Kit, Will make a big difference and reduce wheelhop/Improve Steering feel.

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:34:33 pm »
I think the rear brake setup of a 2014 Leon has an electric handbrake so it won't be compatible with your Ed. 30. You need the rear setup of the previous generation. :wink:

Great result from the R-tech stage 2 tune. :happy2:

It seems that some of the rear calipers were available with a manual hand brake so it should'nt be a problem.
In the meantime the brakes are now fully fitted, had a bit of grief getting the rear hoses right as firstly they came as S3 hoses without banjo fitting, then they were replaced with another set of HEL lines with the correct banjo fittings but half way thru stripping the car down I found out the banjo bolts were too small for the caliper threaded holes. After much tantrum throwing and as I needed the car back together that day I legged it to TPS and got the OEM lines from the original reg number. It looks stock-ish and they all are new and shiny. The fronts went on a doddle in comparison and as I didnt want it looking half and half I went for new OEM front hoses as well. Had a complete VCDS enabled brake fluid change at the same time which was really interesting to watch being done.   
The brakes work really well, very powerful and the only noticeable difference is a bit more pedal travel than standard. Being a slack arse I forgot to take any photos whilst doing it so will update when I get a minute.

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:36:08 pm »
Lovely example! I may be biased though!
They don't come with a front Edition 30 badge, btw.

Yeah, I realise that now  :stupid: cheers

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:44:33 pm »
Welcome along and that's a great looking Eddy you have there. Some result too at R-Tech given the fairly limited mods you've put onto the car. How you finding the Chinese RNS? Does it sync well with your phone and stream music well? iPhone or android? Brakes too are a must once re-mapped, it can be frightening trying to reign in the car on standard brakes.

Thanks mate, only just seen these posts so sorry for not replying sooner.
The Chinese RCD510 in itself is fine, paid £80 brand new but then got spanked for £29 import duty so that took the shine off it. The car is fitted with a fancy parrot 7900 I think so I just play music thru that from my I phone. I am not that techy minded so really dont understand all this new fangled stuff with incar entertainment, I just wanted something to look better than the silver RCD300 that was in it. Oh and there is no RDS on the Chinese ones....obviously didnt think about that and it annoys me that i cant have the radio stations listed by name, only frequency.
Would really have liked an RNS510 but I have to limit my spending to a reasonable level.

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 08:48:31 pm »
Good to see you on the forum Wayne! I am a bad influence so it would seem  :grin:

Yet to see this in the flesh but I am sure you are making it into a nice car, Always happy to help were I can and offer advice  :happy2:

Once the Brakes are fitted I would look into fitting a Superpro Anti Lift Kit, Will make a big difference and reduce wheelhop/Improve Steering feel.

Hi Simon, really should keep up with this thread lol. I think that the ALK and possibly suspension would be next on the list. Just need to have a few ride outs in different cars to find out what level of comfort I am prepared to sacrifice for handling. It definately wont be coil overs and something with a minimal, level drop and isnt crashy over the bumps??? 

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:08:37 pm »
Not put much on here for a while. Had the thermostat changed the other week as it wasn't reading at 90 degrees and Niki had told me it was knackered when it was mapped. Fitted a genuine VW thermostat housing and it is now spot on and pointing to the sky within a couple of minutes of driving. Actually took a couple of quick phone shots as it was a nice day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 10:11:26 am »
Thread bump !

I had a facebook memory come up today so did a search and found this. @munster Do you still have this?

That was my car. I put the map on it. Its a superchips bluefin map. There should also have been a panel filter in the box.

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 10:14:16 am »
Thread bump !

I had a facebook memory come up today so did a search and found this. @munster Do you still have this?

That was my car. I put the map on it. Its a superchips bluefin map. There should also have been a panel filter in the box.

DSC_1667 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

DSC_1665 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

DSC_1660 by Scott Armstrong, on Flickr

Offline munster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 11:22:33 am »
No sadly I dont still have it, was sold and went via a 470bhp Littco Mk7 Gti to an old man Vw Tiguan tdi :sad1: