Make a donation

Author Topic: Wiper Delete  (Read 6373 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Wiper Delete
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 03:19:57 pm »
I take it the absence of a rear wiper isn't an MOT issue?  Is it one of those if it's not fitted, they can't test it, so can't fail it things?
MOT is simple: If it's there it has to work, if it's not there, it cannot be tested or failed

I don't think it's quite that B&W.
It's simple enough if your tester isn't one of those picky types! Thankfully the guy I use is pretty fair.

I did use one place a while ago when I was in a mk4, just on Koni shocks and springs at the time. Flew through, no advisories, but he still went out of his way to add "Lowered" to the notes. Yeah, I know mate, but thanks for reminding me...!!!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:59 pm »
I take it the absence of a rear wiper isn't an MOT issue?  Is it one of those if it's not fitted, they can't test it, so can't fail it things?
MOT is simple: If it's there it has to work, if it's not there, it cannot be tested or failed

It's simple enough if your tester isn't one of those picky types! Thankfully the guy I use is pretty fair.

I did use one place a while ago when I was in a mk4, just on Koni shocks and springs at the time. Flew through, no advisories, but he still went out of his way to add "Lowered" to the notes. Yeah, I know mate, but thanks for reminding me...!!!

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of that only applies to non essential stuff like rear wipers, front fogs, rear seatbelts, reverse lights etc.  Pretty sure if you turned up with no front wipers, no front seat belts etc you'd get an immediate fail?

Not sure if it was on here, but I saw a thread about amusing advisories like "Stereo sounds gash", "Nice car, but schitt wheels" etc etc  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »

Lol, I was thinking more along the lines of that only applies to non essential stuff like rear wipers, front fogs, rear seatbelts, reverse lights etc.  Pretty sure if you turned up with no front wipers, no front seat belts etc you'd get an immediate fail?

Not sure if it was on here, but I saw a thread about amusing advisories like "Stereo sounds gash", "Nice car, but schitt wheels" etc etc  :grin:
Yeah I've seen that somewhere. You'd hope the tester and car owner were mates or something. If not... brutal! But funny.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »
Obviously the front wipers are different, but for the rear it really is that simple. Look up the MOT regs of you like
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:14 pm »
Yeah you just get used to it. I keep Meguiars Glass Cleaner in my boot with a Microfibre when the back window gets too dirty.

Also try using Rainex, waters just runs off it.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:52 am »
Personally, i don't think i could live without the rear wiper. When you get the spray mixed with road salt being thrown up onto the rear window and then drying, im not sure any product can effectively counter that?

Each to their own i guess and everyone can mod their cars as they wish - just not for me.

Rich

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
Personally, i don't think i could live without the rear wiper. When you get the spray mixed with road salt being thrown up onto the rear window and then drying, im not sure any product can effectively counter that?

Each to their own i guess and everyone can mod their cars as they wish - just not for me.

Rich
I thought exactly the same before I did it on the old car. Turns out it's really not as bad as I thought.

I will say this though - if you do any sort of regular motorway driving it's probably wise to keep the wiper. I don't, so I can get by.

Offline Duke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 10:21:36 pm »

Rich

Same here, no idea why you'd do this, just looks odd as well. Each to their own.