Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 Key  (Read 10263 times)

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk7 Key
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
I like the look of the flip key for the mk7 Golf, looks smart and more up to date than the mk5 key, question is, if I was to go and buy a brand new one for a mk7 with the blade cut to my key number, would the immobiliser transponder and the remote part for the central locking code up to a mk5 ok, i.e. Is it the same system as the mk5 just in a nicer looking key or have VW completely changed the system and made the keys different in some technical way rather than just cosmetically that would stop them working in a mk5?

I also like the idea of being able to change the metal part that a key ring loops onto to 1 which has GTi embossed into it, nice touch!

4ndy

Re: Mk7 Key
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »
Bentley fobs are available and look much nicer :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:22:38 pm »
Some people just have too much money to waste on a key fob to show the lads at the pub that I've fmgot a Ferrari key fog but I drive a golf  :signLOL: :doh:

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:42:04 pm »
No interest in a Bentley key I'm afraid, I just want a VW key but the mk5 one looks sh*t IMO and mines all worn so needing a new one anyway as I like 2 keys for my car just in case, and the mk7 key looks smart and more modern.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:43:59 am »
I've just done exactly what you're wanting to do @Hendry
I got a couple of the Mk7 key fobs from eBay and a couple of the genuine GTI logo metal parts.

The blade from the mk5 needs filing down slightly to fit into the rotating part on the mk7 as it's 0.2mm too thick. You can of course get the mk7 blade cut at a key cutters to match your original key. I did this after first grinding and filing the mk5 blade but wasn't happy with the fit. If you take your time though you should be fine.

All the internals from the mk5 fit into the mk7 fob perfectly.
Once you've got the mk5 key open you need to cut off the melted over tabs that hold the circuit board in place. I found that a section of blade from a Stanley knife/exacto blade, (dunno what you English folk call them) is perfect. You want the snap off blade type and then just use one section snapped off.
To get the transponder out you have to prise off the vw logo to reveal a screw which you undo to open the top half of the fob.
Then to get the transponder out: it is nestled in a slot which is then melted over to capture it. I wasn't sure the Stanley blade method would work and I didn't want to break the glass vile that it's in. So I used a blade type end on my soldering iron to push down and melt away the sides of the slot which it sits in. I guess you could also heat up the tip of a small flat head screwdriver and use that. Then the glass vile can easily be pried out.
Disassembly of the top part of the mk7 fob is basically the same. You'll see the slot for the glass vile. Once in just melt the edges over a bit to hold it in place.

The rest is all straight forward.

If you're getting the keys from eBay I found a seller that sells them with a vw logo sticker as well that goes over the screw holding the top part together. Most don't seem to come with that.

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:10 pm »
I got a couple of the Mk7 key fobs from eBay and a couple of the genuine GTI logo metal parts.

The blade from the mk5 needs filing down slightly to fit into the rotating part on the mk7 as it's 0.2mm too thick. You can of course get the mk7 blade cut at a key cutters to match your original key. I did this after first grinding and filing the mk5 blade but wasn't happy with the fit. If you take your time though you should be fine.

Once you've got the mk5 key open you need to cut off the melted over tabs that hold the circuit board in place. I found that a section of blade from a Stanley knife/exacto blade, (dunno what you English folk call them) is perfect. You want the snap off blade type and then just use one section snapped off.
To get the transponder out you have to prise off the vw logo to reveal a screw which you undo to open the top half of the fob.
Then to get the transponder out: it is nestled in a slot which is then melted over to capture it. I wasn't sure the Stanley blade method would work and I didn't want to break the glass vile that it's in. So I used a blade type end on my soldering iron to push down and melt away the sides of the slot which it sits in. I guess you could also heat up the tip of a small flat head screwdriver and use that. Then the glass vile can easily be pried out.
Disassembly of the top part of the mk7 fob is basically the same. You'll see the slot for the glass vile. Once in just melt the edges over a bit to hold it in place.

If you're getting the keys from eBay I found a seller that sells them with a vw logo sticker as well that goes over the screw holding the top part together. Most don't seem to come with that.

Excellent, any link to that particular ebay seller please pal?

4ndy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:33:26 pm »

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:34 pm »

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 06:26:13 pm »
so let me get this right, your sending your key to an address from a cheap looking website with the immobilizer chip in (which can be read), the key (which can be copied) and your return address of where your car is every night? nothing sounds dodgy here does it
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 06:42:20 pm »
so let me get this right, your sending your key to an address from a cheap looking website with the immobilizer chip in (which can be read), the key (which can be copied) and your return address of where your car is every night? nothing sounds dodgy here does it

I've used this company twice Si, totally legit.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:09:26 am »

Excellent, any link to that particular ebay seller please pal?

The listing has changed slightly and doesn't specifically mention the logo now, but this is the link to the same item and same seller. Mine came with black and silver logos not blue and white like in this listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Schl%C3%BCssel-Umbausatz-Golf-4-5-Polo-auf-VW-Golf-VII-7-design-Klappschl%C3%BCssel-key/132215523279?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Of slight note, after one day of use I noticed the two screws that hold the blade in place had started to come loose despite doing them up tight. I applied some Loctite to them and tightened them back up and they've stayed tight for almost a week now. I used Loctite 248. Brilliant stuff in the easy to use 'lip stick'.

I forgot to mention also, if you're getting the genuine VW GTI lower metal piece, it uses a torx T6 to fasten it in place.

Colinspence

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:29:45 pm »
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-VW-Seat-Skoda-3-Button-Flip-Key-Fob-Case-fits-GOLF-MK7-Octavia-Cupra-/263012739862?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Got this today, only took few days to arrive

Straight swap over the insides

Like said above need the blade cutting
But good for £8
Comes with battery and blue vw badge

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 02:40:52 am »
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-VW-Seat-Skoda-3-Button-Flip-Key-Fob-Case-fits-GOLF-MK7-Octavia-Cupra-/263012739862?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Got this today, only took few days to arrive

Straight swap over the insides

Like said above need the blade cutting
But good for £8
Comes with battery and blue vw badge

Just to confirm - your mk5 key internals swap straight into this mk7 key fob? 

Did you have to disassemble the transponder and re-glue into the new fob?  Cheers.

Colinspence

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
Yer straight swap
And the little immobiliser thing I blue tacked into the new slot