Make a donation

Author Topic: Oem dampers and tyre wear/ droning noise?  (Read 813 times)

Offline trtom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Oem dampers and tyre wear/ droning noise?
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »
I think my dampers are on the way out. My rear tyres are droning (thought it was a wheel bearing but had it checked and its not). It seems from a quick search when the dampers get tired they sag and alter the camber of the rear wheels. Ive been underneath it today and sure enough the inside edge of the tyres is prematurely worn.

I cant afford a full coilover set up and have been trying to find the cost of oem dampers (which I'll probably pair with vwr springs or h and r springs whilst im at it) but no luck. Do any of you guys know the cost of oem dampers? Or recommend something else thats similar price and performance?
Thanks
Tom

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Oem dampers and tyre wear/ droning noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 08:51:41 pm »
Thinking the same mate. Mine drones quite badly at 132k miles and found a damaged rear spring today.
Just waiting on a price for genuine shocks will let you know

Offline trtom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »
Thanks mate appreciate it.

Offline tdibilly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »
Mk 5 golfs suffer from inner Tyre wear from the factory (wrong camber setting), my local vw have a new super tracker & it solved the problem, shocks wont solve this saw type wear but broken springs will defiantly not help, had mine done 3 years ago & still have the same tyres on that had saw wear on it & still not got worse on inner edge.