Make a donation

Author Topic: Airbag Fault Light On - MOT failed.  (Read 7619 times)

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
Airbag Fault Light On - MOT failed.
« on: January 21, 2017, 11:34:39 pm »
Hi guys,

My airbag fault light came on a while back and as a result my car failed it's MOT today. I honestly didn't think something like this would make it fail. The problem is I now have 7 days to sort out the fault to get a free retest.

Trouble is I don't know anyone who is able to plug it into the computer to try and find the fault and clear it. I checked the list on this forum for people in the Leicester area who have the VCDS software and there is 1 and I have pm'd them but if they can't help me then I'm at a bit of a loose end  :sad1:

Can anyone help at all? I have tried to disconnect the battery and leave it off for 10 mins. I have touched the negative and positive connectors together also as someone suggested this. I reconnected the battery and the fault light still comes up!

Any help would be amazing as I really need to get this sorted quickly.

Thanks guys
Craigh

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Airbag Fault Light On - MOT failed.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:09:36 am »
Try looking under front seats as some timesoon the plugs come undone

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:05 am »
Hi Andy,

If I find any loose connectors will the fault light dissapear or will it still need clearing with VCDS?

Does anyone know what the diagnostics/fault code reader tools on eBay are like? Apparently they can scan for faults and clear them. They are around £20-£30?

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:08:51 am »
Cheap one should be able to clear the fault code as long as you have rectified it.
Even a bluetooth one work for basic fault codes from your phone (Torque app for example) if you can't stretch to the VCDS.

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 08:13:57 am »
Just make sure the airbag in the centre above the HU is plugged in. It will require you to take out the top parts of plastic to get to it.

Mine came on after a radio swap. Turns out I hadn't clicked it in all the way. Plugged back in, checked with Vagcom and all good to go.
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:42:36 am »
Thanks guys,

Well I have a feeling that it was caused when I had to take the drivers door apart to rewire the wiring loom in there as it was all corroded. It's all working again now but I'm sure that's about the time it came on. I don't know if the drivers door has any wiring for the airbags?

I will check all the connections though.

Can anyone recommend any of the cheap Fault code readers or even the Bluetooth one you mentioned?

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:37 am »
I had an airbag fault on my mk5 when i first got it, turned out to be the sensor under the drivers seat. Think i remember reading it can be a common issue on 2 dr cars with the seats being moved forward and backwards a lot to gain access to the rear seats.

Rather than replace the sensor and have it happen again, I just cut the sensor out and soldered the wires together...no more sensor, no break in signal...problem solved!

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
I had an airbag fault on my mk5 when i first got it, turned out to be the sensor under the drivers seat. Think i remember reading it can be a common issue on 2 dr cars with the seats being moved forward and backwards a lot to gain access to the rear seats.

Rather than replace the sensor and have it happen again, I just cut the sensor out and soldered the wires together...no more sensor, no break in signal...problem solved!

Could be, it's common to a lot of other cars too - Mini for one - though I am surprised shorting the cables does the job as it's usually expecting a resistance value on other cars I have done this on.

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:26 am »
Thanks guys,

Well I have a feeling that it was caused when I had to take the drivers door apart to rewire the wiring loom in there as it was all corroded. It's all working again now but I'm sure that's about the time it came on. I don't know if the drivers door has any wiring for the airbags?

Can anyone recommend any of the cheap Fault code readers or even the Bluetooth one you mentioned?

Top two I have used and own, the VCDS I purchased recently and have coded in cruise on my car personally, seems to operate the same as the old genuine one I had for my Audi many years ago. The bluetooth one I have permanently plugged in my car at the moment hooked up to my Android head unit with Torque app.
Someone else may have more experience of the others, I am by no means an expert on the subject :)

Cheap VCDS - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M2U3T52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - works fine for everything including coding. Obviously you need a laptop or PC to go with this one

Bluetooth OBD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ijq/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Android-OBD-Bluetooth/B01AC7I7BO/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1485079518&sr=1-4&keywords=elm327 - basically any with ELM327 should allow you to do basic diags scans and resets. They only support generic codes and will not allow you to code VAG modules on your car, nor do they read pending codes like a VCDS will. These only work with Android phones, tablets and through a laptop/PC with bluetooth. For some reason iPhones can't use ELM327 over bluetooth
Can be had cheaper through eBay too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD2-OBDII-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Scan-Tool-for-Android-UK/231408998097?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D66a8ee214a23433aa40c4c8c3271dbda%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

WIFI OBD (iPhone) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-ELM327-OBD2-Car-Diagnostics-Scanner-Code-Reader-for-iPhone-iOS-And-Android-/162317404198?hash=item25cadf0826:g:QpUAAOSwvgdW562S - think these can be used for both iPhone and Android as well (though don't quote me on that as I have never had an iPhone)

Standalone Fault Reader - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Tools-Equipment/Xtool-Diagnostic-Vag401-Skoda-Vehicles/B016IDXE78/ref=pd_lpo_263_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9DJWKPFR150X4Y9S62RA - as an example only, not used this device myself. I had one similar for my Mini that was a BMW specific tool. They work, they are a bit clunky but do read the specific manufacturer codes and data streams.

You can also get a USB based adapter for use on a PC/Laptop only.

Apps for your phone:
Torque - Android and IOS - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB - does scans and performance meters via the ODB reader. Costs a few quid but it works and is well supported.

DashCommand - Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand&hl=en_GB - similar to the above, not tried it personally

Car Doctor - Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pnn.obdcardoctor&hl=en_GB - free version will cover the basic scans and fault clears. Have used it before myself.

Offline TAPPY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,103290.0.html
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 09:48:55 pm »
Thanks guys,

The drivers and passenger doors have a crash sensor in them mate so you fault will prob be side impact sensor intermittent if you have unplugged the door

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Thanks for all that info Chris! Definately going to look into getting something like that.

Well I finally sorted it anyway. Turned out someone I know had one of them bluetooth diagnostic things and we plugged it in, cleared the fault and its been off now for a couple of days so fingers crossed!!

Tappy it must have been the rewiring I did in the door as the fault did say it was the drivers side crash sensor. As I said I do remember it coming on around the same time but I thought its not a big issue and I was meant to sort it out.

Thanks for all your help everyone!  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:01:44 pm »
I'm sure you're. It allowed to post links of Chinese copies on here

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 05:02:15 pm »
Im in Worcester and can help if you need it deleting

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:52:32 pm »

Is that a question? I posted the links to stuff I have bought and used bar the iPhone one, I am pretty sure it all comes from China ultimately. The VCDS cable I was recommended a few weeks ago from a post on this very forum...

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 12:15:31 am »

Is that a question? I posted the links to stuff I have bought and used bar the iPhone one, I am pretty sure it all comes from China ultimately. The VCDS cable I was recommended a few weeks ago from a post on this very forum...
it wasn't a question lol

It was basically others complaining about copy vcds links and owners of genuine ones getting upset because they paid full whack for theirs  :signLOL: