Make a donation

Author Topic: What is a decent tyre without going down the eagle f1 pilot sport route  (Read 7998 times)

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: What is a decent tyre without going down the eagle f1 pilot sport route
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »
Sorry am I missing something here from the thread title. Goodyear f1 as3's are about 80 quid on camskill.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:43 pm »
I had Pirelli P Zero's on both of my mk5 GTi's and they were excellent. Great grip and they lasted well too. :smiley:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline addictivev8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:35 pm »
Vredesteins are good. I had a set on my clk55 and that had no problems in the set with 360bhp and 380 lb ft torque.

Once the goodyears are shagged on the golf I'll go for a set of Vred's or Michelin's.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:31 am »
I never understand these posts..... What is the best tyre, excluding two of the best tyres on the market.... Because they are a couple of quid per corner too much.... When most people probably piss more than that up the wall on a Friday or Saturday night.....

Find an extra couple of quid and fit some Michelin PS4. One of the very best all rounders you will find
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:12:43 am »
Dan has a point, buy the best tyres you can afford. As Red Robin told me when I asked about this years ago, the rubber in contact with the road at each corner is about the size of a CD disc, so you want that to be the best possible.  :driver:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:40:41 am »
I agree with Dan here - people have no issues with skimping on their tyres despite being just as important as brakes in terms of safety.

Im sick to death of people who have no problems with paying £50 per month for the latest iphone or £100 per month for the best sky package but wont pay an extra £25 extra for a decent tyre!  :sick:

Whats even more amazing are people who fork out tens of thousands on a high performance car, thousands again on mods but dont want to pay more than £50 a corner for tyres. Go figure.

To @Tigger - the PS4's* are around £110 per tyre fitted. Not an earth breaking amount -you would have to ask for reasons why NOT to for them for that price!

*Other premium branded tyres are available.

Rich

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:37 am »
Glad its not just me  :signLOL:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 10:11:15 am »
I agree with Dan here - people have no issues with skimping on their tyres despite being just as important as brakes in terms of safety.

Im sick to death of people who have no problems with paying £50 per month for the latest iphone or £100 per month for the best sky package but wont pay an extra £25 extra for a decent tyre!  :sick:

Whats even more amazing are people who fork out tens of thousands on a high performance car, thousands again on mods but dont want to pay more than £50 a corner for tyres. Go figure.

To @Tigger - the PS4's* are around £110 per tyre fitted. Not an earth breaking amount -you would have to ask for reasons why NOT to for them for that price!

*Other premium branded tyres are available.

Rich

Ignorance and penny pinching are rife in the car world unfortunately.  Too much money spent on the latest in thing, and not enough spent on the essentials.

I encourage more people to fit 'Ling Long Sunny Champ Fy Dollar I find ditch 4 you' tyres to their Ed30s, so that they slide off the roads and bump up values of the remaining ones.....and provide me with a lower mileage drivers seat  :smiley:

PS4s are surprisingly good in the cold.  -4 this morning and no problems with cornering grip.  Traction is pretty reasonable with a modulated throttle too  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:47 am »
I never understand these posts..... What is the best tyre, excluding two of the best tyres on the market.... Because they are a couple of quid per corner too much.... When most people probably piss more than that up the wall on a Friday or Saturday night.....

Find an extra couple of quid and fit some Michelin PS4. One of the very best all rounders you will find
I'm pretty sure the OP changed the thread title when he started getting loads of suggestions for Michelin and Goodyear.

But I'm with you on this. All a bit strange if you ask me.

OP, just fit some GOOD tyres. There's really no need to start a thread asking for alternatives.

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 01:27:14 pm »
I've just purchased 4 Avon Zv7's for mine in 225/45/17 XL for £62 a corner. They will be getting fitted tomorrow.

The car came with Maxxis Z3 victra on the front and infinity 050 on the back, now the Infinitys are a god awful tyre!! The Maxxis are pretty naff too...

Hoping these Avons will be worth the investment, i'll feedback what they're like for anyone interested

Offline Panthera

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 05:32:15 pm »
I agree with what has been said on here in regards to spending a few extra quid on tyres to get a better tyre, one that you want and more importantly a tyre that will probably save your life or someone else's.   At the end of the day, the tyre contact patch is about the size of a postcard why take it away with cheaper tyres.

I run Pirelli PZero 225/45/17 and I really like the feel and feedback I get from them. I get a bout 8-9k out of a set, thats fine as they grip like superglue in the wet and dry.

I will only stick with the top 6 tyre manufactures. My dad likes Toyo's on his N/A impreza and likes them, but I keep saying get some better tyres as he does about 15-20k a year in his retried life style.
Its all things to all men...Golf GTi
2007 Blue Graphite Golf GTi

Offline Tigger

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »
Thanks everyone. all comments appreciated. Apparently because of internet deals, tyres at fitting centres have come down in price a lot to compete.

Hence i have now spotted some goodyear eagles at ETB for under £80 each fitted. No brainer

Offline Saintsteve

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:16 pm »
Kwik fit have 25% off continental tyres at the moment..wonder if they would be offended if I said I just want the tyres and will get someone else to install them :signLOL:c :popcornsoda:
Tornado Red Edition30 DSG Build Number 114
Atlantic Blue Mk7.5 GTE Advance
Follow Saintsteve330 on Instagram

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 10:43:03 pm »
Kwik fit have 25% off continental tyres at the moment..wonder if they would be offended if I said I just want the tyres and will get someone else to install them :signLOL:c :popcornsoda:

Would rather walk than go to Kwik Fit for anything absolute scum.

The 25% off is a con, They simply put the retail/till prices up by 25% the previous Month but continue to sell the Tyres at the same price as they always have. This legally allows them to advertise a 25% off sales campaign the following Month as in theory the retial/till price is reduced from the previously inflated price but in reality there is no saving. There never was!

Offline sambo101

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: 2005 GTi Black, Stock Tune, 18" BBS CH
2005 GTi Black, Stock Tune, 18" BBS CH