Make a donation

Author Topic: Garage Mistake - Help With Oil Question on Long Life Service Plan (Golf 1.4 TSI)  (Read 2457 times)

vwdaniel17

I  had my car serviced today and I have a feeling they used the wrong oil. I drive a 2013 1.4 TSI Golf Mk7 SE.

Can someone advice if im being paranoid or am correct. I drive 24k miles per year so am on the long flexible service schedule QI6. Meaning its advised I have a service done every 2 years or 18-20k miles. I plan to do this around 15k miles.

When I google online what is the long life oil that I need to use I get 'Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30' recommended.

Reviewing the service documents it shows they have used Shell Helix Ultra AV-Low-3 (0W-30), and they have also put me down for my next service being in 10k miles or 1 year.

So my question is.... have the completely disregarded my service plan and thus what oil i should be using and just done whatever the hell they like? If so, does this mean I now need to go back to a fixed service plan and go in every 5 months for an oil change? Or am i just being paranoid and the Helix oil is infact a long life oil and they have made a typo.

Please advice

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
According to the specsheet, Shell Helix Ultra AV-Low-3 (0w-30) meets VW 504.00/507.00 which is longlife specification so technically you shouldn't need to worry doing extended intervals on this oil. The "0w" designation means that its flow performance in the winter is better than the standard "5w" grade but the viscosity remains the same.

If this was done by the main dealer then you should be fine, you'll be surprised what variations of branded oils they use from different branches (can be Castrol, Quantum, Mobil, Shell etc).

Of course if you notice any issues then you should raise it up with the garage but generally it is unlikely you will see a significant difference from the previous oil.