Make a donation

Author Topic: Need opinions on cam follower?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline mattkgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
  • Amateur MK5 Golf GTI Enthusiast
    • Email
Need opinions on cam follower?
« on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:10 pm »
Hi all,

First of all, just wanted to say I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read this as its not the most exciting question.

Yesterday I took my MK5 GTI to my local mechanic for the front brake pads to be replaced, who I've been to a couple of times now and he seems like he's got a decent little garage.

The guy that replaced my front brake pads also did an oil change for me.  He said he noticed when the engine was running there was a small ticking noise and after further inspection he said it appeared that the "cam follower bucket" was a bit worn, but not to worry because they are relatively inexpensive part online and that it was easy to replace myself.

After a bit of research I believe that the part discussed is:

And that there are a couple of replacement guides online, even one on our forum:

I became a bit worried after reading into this a bit too much because I understand it relates to the high pressure fuel pump somehow and that if that part fails, it can become quite an expensive issue to fix.

SO to sum up my babbling I'm trying to decide whether or not to give it a punt for the sake of about £30 to replace the part and wondered if anyone has had anything similar and if they would like to share any details?  I have read somewhere before that the cam follower does have a tendency to fail on the GTIs. 

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any input/opinions/further discussion!

Matt.

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
Re: Need opinions on cam follower?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »
Do you have any record of your follower having been done before?
Car service history?

Without any question at all...do the change Matt!
Its cheap, easy and will give you peace of mind.

Loads of advice already up on here; have a search and read about some more.

Offline mattkgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
  • Amateur MK5 Golf GTI Enthusiast
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »
Thanks for reading @grey golfster

After a look through the service history and paperwork, can't find anything to suggest it has been done

Will have a bit more of a search like you suggested and think I will go ahead with the swap for peace of mind  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:53 pm »
Yep, I would be replacing that asap.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline spesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »
Changed mine as soon as I bought the car with 100k on it as there was nothing documented, was happy to find it had minimal wear.  Car had a full dealer history though and has been looked after to within an inch of its life

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:50:25 pm »
Do it mate. Easy 15 minute job and costs you thirty quid of parts to save potentially a grand if it fails completely...you will be looking at a new fuel pump and possibly cam work or both.
If you are not confident just get your mechanic to do it as he obviously already took it apart anyway to check its condition- surprised he didnt just ask you to spend the thirty quid right then though TBH?

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 06:23:58 pm »
Get it changed, it's a relatively easy job even if you have the banjo bolt like me, you'll need an m8 triple square bit though :happy2: