Make a donation

Author Topic: Get your Monzas out  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,111314.msg1074399.html#msg1074399
Get your Monzas out
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:33 am »
Show us your refurbed 18" Monzas please.    :drool:

The refurb job the previous owner did isn't filling me with confidence so need need some ideas and support that everything will be ok.

Also what sort of price could I be looking at  :confused:

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
Re: Get your Monzas out
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:56:07 am »
Diamond cut refurb should be about £100 a corner.
May find some companies do it for a tenner or so cheaper.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,111314.msg1074399.html#msg1074399
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:04:38 am »
Been reading a few posts on the forum and seen white worm mentioned!? Is this something the 18s suffer from and keep in mind if I go the diamond cut route.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:29:39 am »
Diamond cut are prone to white worm.  Only takes a small chip to start it off - and with the state of the roads its all too easy to get a chip!!.  I have BBS  Monza 18s on my GTI, but now powdercoated, without black inserts.  Solves the white worm issue, and this is entirely personal taste, I am not a fan of the diamond cut, nor the black inserts.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:44:45 am »
Diamond cut are prone to white worm.  Only takes a small chip to start it off - and with the state of the roads its all too easy to get a chip!!.  I have BBS  Monza 18s on my GTI, but now powdercoated, without black inserts.  Solves the white worm issue, and this is entirely personal taste, I am not a fan of the diamond cut, nor the black inserts.

TBH i'm not too fussed about diamond cut either. All I'm trying to achieve with my GTI is a nice standard/subtle, well maintained car. It's also my daily runner so I don't want to be spending or putting effort into something like diamond cut wheels and then worrying about them every time I drive.

Are standard 18 Monzas not BBS is there a difference? Sorry I'm a total GTI noob.

You got any pics of yours on the car?

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:49:05 am »
I had mine powered coated £48 a corner better than new now.
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:06 am »
I had mine diamond cut for around €500 all in

Make sure the inserts are sprayed dark grey for contrast and ask for extra lacquer coatings to help prevent stone chips.

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:38 am »
Monzas are either Ronal or BBS.  The BBS ones have metal valves which are thinner than the standard rubber valves. No real other difference, or so I understand, between the two.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 11:49:51 am »

Glad it's not just me then!  :happy2:

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
Been reading a few posts on the forum and seen white worm mentioned!? Is this something the 18s suffer from and keep in mind if I go the diamond cut route.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah Diamond cut is prone to white worm, so even if you get them re-done in that finish, be aware white worm will more than likely set in again sometime down the line.

If you aren't fussed about them being in a Diamond cut finish, I'd personally get them powder coated in black or gun metal grey

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »

Looks amazing when done but as others have said - the white worm soon creeps in and then you are left with annoying marks. I paid £350ish a couple of years ago

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:16 pm »

Looks amazing when done but as others have said - the white worm soon creeps in and then you are left with annoying marks. I paid £350ish a couple of years ago

How long before your white worm came back?

Also, did your tyres come with the white outlining or did you diy?

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 06:12:56 pm »
Liking the grey inserts on yours luke, the grey inserts aren't as harsh as the oem wheel and adds a bit extra to just a plain coloured wheel.  :happy2:

I'll have to have a think and see what my options are though with the local wheel refurbers.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 06:48:17 pm »

How long before your white worm came back?

Also, did your tyres come with the white outlining or did you diy?

@lukemk5gti I think it was about 8 months on - and that was because I went to change my tyres and the guy changing them hit his bolt on the actual wheel instead of the hole. Then 8 months on and the white worm started. But it hasn't developed a lot since. I sold the alloys to @rashg60 who has told me it hasn't got worse.

The white markings I did myself with a white tyre writing pen I bought off amazon for £1. Not the best pen but I couldn't see a better solution and you need to go over it a few times to get it looking proper.