Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake Confusion!  (Read 12996 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Brake Confusion!
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:28 pm »

It may have been said already but you can offset the better S3 brakes weight by fitting the allot lower arms found on some passats, cupras or the SuperPro version  :)
I was thinking of fitting the S3 bones with the superpro ALK I have but doesn't that take the wheels out further camber?.

As far as I am aware the S3 wishbones are just 1kg lighter than standard GTi ones.
They are definitely lighter that's for sure but was told they are slightly longer on the ends unless anyone else can confirm otherwise as it will make my life a lot easier just fitting the complete bones with the superpro on.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:24:01 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2017, 06:42:12 pm »
The S3 and Passat LCA are completely compatible. The TT LCA aren't.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2llcb2hhr5a2fjj07lnpda0k16&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 07:08:15 pm »
Nothing to do with angles. It's to do with the small piston being on the leading edge of the pad
oh  :doh:  :signLOL: so best to keep them at the top then?.

Yep

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2017, 10:14:51 pm »
Nothing to do with angles. It's to do with the small piston being on the leading edge of the pad
oh  :doh:  :signLOL: so best to keep them at the top then?.

Yep
okay thanks  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2017, 06:25:31 pm »
(Presumably VW had run out of money on the ED30 and ignored the brakes, the R32 only has 20 bhp more, is heavier, but came with bigger front and bigger rear brakes as standard. )

Have you driven a MK1 GTI or Corrado VR6 with standard brakes?  Seriously, you have not experienced crap brakes until both of those boxes are ticked!

I came from a Corrado and the standard MK5 brakes nearly put me through the windscreen by comparison :grin:

Correct, the R32 may only be 20hp more but it has 200Kg more to stop, hence it's brake sizing.  I know I am on my own here, but there is nothing wrong with the standard MK5 brakes at all if all 4 corners are in fine working order.....and that comes from someone who's experienced AP Racing brakes on VWs in the past.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »
Hi guys I'd like to ask a question re brakes as we're on the subject so not to post a new thread  :signLOL:
My leading pistons are the smaller ones at the top and was wondering if I was to swap the pipes and nipples over so that the bigger pistons are at the top and would there be any difference in braking?.

PFA thanks

Explanation found online:
"Notes on increasing piston size purpose.
1. Large pads get hotter/wear more in their leading edge, leading to taper and performance issues as the leading edge overheats under very hard use (read: track)
2. The way the progressive piston sizes work, is by putting less pressure on the leading edge of the pads. Think about it, if pressure is expressed in psi, less square inches equals less pressure."

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:36 pm »
Hi guys I'd like to ask a question re brakes as we're on the subject so not to post a new thread  :signLOL:
My leading pistons are the smaller ones at the top and was wondering if I was to swap the pipes and nipples over so that the bigger pistons are at the top and would there be any difference in braking?.

PFA thanks

Explanation found online:
"Notes on increasing piston size purpose.
1. Large pads get hotter/wear more in their leading edge, leading to taper and performance issues as the leading edge overheats under very hard use (read: track)
2. The way the progressive piston sizes work, is by putting less pressure on the leading edge of the pads. Think about it, if pressure is expressed in psi, less square inches equals less pressure."
ahh thanks for that @Shoduchi wonder why that caliper reconditioning guy told he'd turn the pipes and nipples around as I didn't quite understand him  :stupid: