Make a donation

Author Topic: Woowoowoo noise  (Read 3362 times)

Offline bigrich690

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Woowoowoo noise
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:27:10 pm »
So I could get criticism from this post but want to know what's going on with my new car, so i bought myself a GTI this weekend that has some nice mods and is going to be my project hopefully for the next few years, 2006 55reg 3 door in Red, lowered on coilovers, coloured rear bumper, and black 18" monzas, leather and xenons, just what I wanted, it has a map on it but no idea what BHP is, after market air filter and hose to the original engine cover box so half and half and pre car delete, now the lad I bought it off gave me a diverter valve spacer/sleeve, as I wanted a little more noise from the DV I fitted it yesterday so now it dumps the air rather than recirculateing it, since installing it not only dumps the air but now makes that wowowow noise when lifting off the throttle, I love this noise but have noticed that throttle response is delayed now and the car isn't as quick, clearly the spacer isn't good for the car but I want to keep that noise, any info or ideas are welcome before I go messing around........
Red 3 Door GTI, Lowered, 18" 3SDMs, Remap, Heated leather, Xenons.....

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Woowoowoo noise
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »
You've pretty much answered your own question.

Use an OEM DV (revision G preferably), or a GFB DV+, fitted properly. The ECU expects air to be recirculated, not dumped.

An open cone filter (assuming that's what you've got) will make the recirculation noise louder than a stock airbox would, but if it's a k03 car don't expect any big turbo noises when you come off the throttle (if the correct parts are correctly fitted).

K04 cars can make that noise you're after, even louder if tuned. It's just the characteristics of the different pipework and turbo layout.

I'd concentrate on making sure everything's as it should be rather than chasing sound effects. The closest you'll get (with a k03) is with a big open filter and as much boost as the turbo will handle. So basically a Stage 2+ setup.

Offline bigrich690

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:52:17 pm »
Great advise, thank you for clearing this all up, this is hopefully the beginning of learning and getting my project undergo, thanks again

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:24:24 pm »
Great advise, thank you for clearing this all up, this is hopefully the beginning of learning and getting my project undergo, thanks again
No problem mate, it's what the forum's for. Any more questions post them up.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:37:34 am »
The noise you're referring to (I believe) is know as a "butterfly" blow-off valve type of noise, quite often seen on the JDM cars.

As mentioned, the TFSI engine is designed for re-circulation of the air and not for it to be dumped into the atmosphere. If you relieve the pressure out the system entirely the ECU then delays proceedings as it waits for the pressure in the intake to build back up (basic theory, correct me if I'm wrong).

Now I have a K04 equipped engine which makes the desired noise but from what I've read, that noise in a TFSI engine is the effect of the air surging towards the throttle body (which is now closed completely) and is the resultant noise of the air colliding with itself and inducing massive turbulence which is not ideal really!

Now, there is a possible solution that I've not yet seen on a TFSI car and it comes from GFB (first saw this on Might Car Mods). They do a blow-off valve that also recirculates some of the air and you can adjust it according to your personal needs. It sounds like it could be the best option in your case where you want more noise but don't want to loose throttle response and performance at the same time. Here's a link:

http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dvx-diverter-valve-performance-with-volume-control/dv-t9654-suits-ford-volvo-porsche-borg-warner-efr-turbos-detail

May even consider it myself reading that...

EDIT: Also, get to grips with posting images on the forum and start up a member's ride thread, always like to see more cars on here and it's a great way of gathering all the info you'll need to do whatever you want.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:33:15 am »

Havent seen one on a TFSI yet, The Gen3 TSI engines can run full atmospheric. Could be worth a try though

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 11:13:17 am »
While it looks like it'll fit a TFSI engine, worth checking with GFB first as they don't officially list it for the TFSI setup. But the images show that it appears to have the same fit design as the DV+ onto a stock DV valve.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline bigrich690

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:14:08 pm »
This has really opened my eyes, really great advise guys, that's video is good and after a bit of research I've found that as mentioned before they don't make a DVX for my engine as of yet, I would buy one on a heart beat if they did tho, it would solve it all, could have a play until the position is just right and still get a bit of sound.

I'm more after the noise in the filter that you said is when the air collides with itself over the whoosh noise from the DV it was just when I installed the spacer it has now caused that noise where as before it didn't make it, it's only the beginning of a much loved project and there's no real rush.

I'm not using it as a daily now and hope it stays as a weekend project, will make a project thread when I have more time and do more too her.........