Make a donation

Author Topic: New MkV owner  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Wils042

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New MkV owner
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Hi,

Just bought a Mk5, so thought this was the place for me.   Sadly my VR6 died at the hands of Halfords when they burnt out the dashboard wiring loom!

Keen to get some guidance on the best tyres for 18 inch Monza rims, for Motorway use and limited round town (London) driving.  Had Yokohama S Drives on the VR6 which served me well, but can't find any in the right size.

Appreciate comments and thoughts.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: New MkV owner
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:43:23 pm »
Welcome along

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New MkV owner
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:44:50 pm »
Hi,

Just bought a Mk5, so thought this was the place for me.   Sadly my VR6 died at the hands of Halfords when they burnt out the dashboard wiring loom!

Keen to get some guidance on the best tyres for 18 inch Monza rims, for Motorway use and limited round town (London) driving.  Had Yokohama S Drives on the VR6 which served me well, but can't find any in the right size.

Appreciate comments and thoughts.
Welcome to the forum.

Sad news about the VR6! I hope you were reimbursed in some way?

As for tyres, there are loads of threads on this, so have a read up. But the short answer is that Michelin Pilot Super Sport (if you can still get hold of them) are as good as it gets in the 'sensible' price range. Also Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are almost as good, and you should be able to get them for a better price than the Super Sports.

They're also releasing (or might already be available) the Pilot Sport 4S, which is the successor of Super Sports.

Other options include Goodyear Eagle F1, but they sound like they might not give as much feedback in the bends due to their softer sidewalls.

Really all depends what sort of driving you do, but the Michelins are a very safe bet.