Make a donation

Author Topic: ARB bracket bolt snapped  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Pesky jones

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
ARB bracket bolt snapped
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:00:52 am »
So I had a terrible creaking from inside the car which I initially thought was coming from passenger seat side rail, but after having someone else drive I realised it was coming from underneath the car and due to no interior carpets/ deadening etc. sounded like inside. So anyway got underside and found a number of sub frame bolts loose. Got round to tightening them up and all was going well until the KW anti roll bar bracket-to-subframe bolts. Sheared one of the heads off leaving the shaft still in the subframe with the top of the shaft poking out (still tight) through the nut on the bracket.

After looking it seems that most aftermarket ARB brackets have captive nuts and the nuts are welded to the bracket. Mine however must have come loose as can spin.

Does anyone know if KW brackets comes with captive nuts?

Also my ARB is red, I can’t find any other ARB by KW that isn’t yellow...

Is the subframe body threaded at all, or does it just grip the captive nut?

At the moment I have two plans – a) cut a grove into the shaft of the bolt poking through the nut with a junior hacksaw blade and use a flat head to wind it down and out through the nut

b) Release the remaining bracket bolt, release the ARB from the drop link and lift the ARB up and out of the subframe giving me more access to the exposed shaft.

The creaking however is gone  :smiley: Will get some pictures later

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: ARB bracket bolt snapped
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:41:49 pm »
Ive had the bracket snap in the past.

It was a Neuspeed ARB.  Awesome Gti supplied me a new bracket for it.  Luckily I had bought the Arg originally and knew the spec;

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »
Cheers Mike! Did you have to drop the subframe or could you just detatch the ARB from the drop link and remove the old bracket n bushing?

Im thinking my best option will be detatch the ARB from the drop link, remove the remaining bracket bolt, lift the ARB and bracket up off of the subframe so I can grab the bolt shaft from underneath to unscrew it from the nut. Then hopefully just screw in a new m8 x 100 bolt... hopefully

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:17:31 pm »

I honestly can't remember, sorry.  I was there when he did it though lol.  I can't remember getting a  geo check (which Im certain I would've insisted in if the subframe had been off)  So perhaps it was done in situ