Make a donation

Author Topic: Dielectric grease on coils?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Dielectric grease on coils?
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:17 pm »
I have some coil pack issues post remap so will change to the red ones tomorrow.  There's a YouTube video where dielectric grease is used. This seems sensible but I don't want to go off one video. Any advice?

Brendan.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Dielectric grease on coils?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:34:51 pm »
New coils from VAG (not cheapy pattern ones) come with a little squirt of green grease from the factory.  Although I think that is more for stopping the rubber boot sticking to the sparkplug insulator than dielectric purposes.

What problems are you having?  Those pencil coils kick out about 35KV.  A bit of dielectric grease isn't gonna hold that kind of spark leak back.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »
I had a misfire on cylinder 3 on my 2.0tsi scirocco with a check engine light and had to have the AA out on Friday  just the day after a revo remap.  A coil pack from them was £72 but I was stuck at the side of the road.  Now under full load I get some stuttering and suspectt the other coils although it could be something else.   If it's more complicated I will head back to the garage.  I've ordered coils from Awesome so should be OK.

Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
How many miles on the car?  It's more likely to be an injector than coils tbh, but by all means try a set just to be sure.

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:15:58 pm »
It's a 2009 with 70k miles, reading around it does seem like a injector issue. I guess either the remap is demanding more fuel or it is just a coincidence.  At the same time as the remap I had a gfb/DV+ fitted. Could the symptoms be related to that if it was faulty? Other facts, the plugs were new on the 26th Jan with a full service and I get a check engine light on under heavy acceleration that goes off after a couple of seconds.  If the coils don't fix it and it looks unlikely then I may buy a cheap error code reader pending a visit to the garage.

Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 12:19:02 pm »
If the misfire is persistent at idle, it's more than likely a bad injector.   They just wear out with age and the higher pressures commanded from remaps tends to finish them off.  Injector 3 went on mine at ~80K and also just after a remap.   I just threw a new set of 4 in.  Dealer ones, not ebay or cheapy online suppliers, just to guarantee I wouldn't have to repeat the job after 10,000 miles because it's a right f'cker of a job.

Ideally you do need to see what the fault code is and if it is a bad injector, you want to resolve it sooner rather than later because these engines don't tolerate running lean for long.  The top piston ring over heats, closes up and the cracks the ring land, meaning new piston(s) time.

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:24:21 pm »
Well the coils that were delivered didn't have any grease with them so I fitted without and I'm glad to report it has done the trick.  I may add some grease in the near future but for now will enjoy the remap.

Thanks for the interest.
Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:51 pm »
Happy days, nice cheap fix!