Make a donation

Author Topic: Glaze and wax  (Read 5914 times)

Offline GtiKris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Glaze and wax
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:59:00 pm »
Hi people...

I am new to this and would need some advice...

Thinking of using Poorboys Black Hole glaze and then finish of with Nattys Red?

Will this work on my 07 Tornado Red?

Anybody tried this combo?

GtiKris

Kris

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Glaze and wax
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »
Yeah will work just dont know how well. On a split shift nxt wk at work and promised the old girl a bit of winter TLC got some black hole glaze to go on myself with some old red wax i have from yrs ago
Edition 30 num 859

Offline dayton42

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:53:21 am »
There are so many good options but my fave is the Souveran Paste wax for red paint.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:59:08 am »
I use chemical guys glossworks glaze to fill the swirls, follow that with jetseal109 to seal and autoglym super hd to protect.

Read here - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89106.msg902491.html#msg902491

Offline GtiKris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:13:52 pm »
At the end got myself

- Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
- Autoglym SRP
- Megs NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 paste

Well... Must say it did not make much difference to how car looked after I used Turtle wax spray for £3.99 lol

What went wrong? Hmmm

GtiKris

Kris

Offline andy7ven

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 05:22:22 pm »
Lol!, You used Autoglym that's where it went wrong!!!  :slap:    :wink:

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
Personally I'd try a sealant if I was you. I think they give way better results

Offline GtiKris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 02:43:58 pm »
One panel waxed the other one not...

Can you tell the difference?

GtiKris

Kris

Offline GtiKris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:53 pm »
Lol!, You used Autoglym that's where it went wrong!!!  :slap:    :wink:
Did they not meant to be good products then

GtiKris

Kris

Offline GtiKris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 02:56:15 pm »
I've thought that waxes suit our paint better and give this wet look... that I was after?

GtiKris

Kris

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »
I've thought that waxes suit our paint better and give this wet look... that I was after?

If you go through my post I think there should be some pictures of my car after I machine polished it and applied 2 layers of sealant to protect it. Let me know your opinion but I used to use wax's and glazes but sealants have defo gave my car more of a wet look imo

GtiKris

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
So what's the difference between a sealant and a wax then? I always saw wax as a sealant - protecting the finish you attain with a polish?

Autoglym SRP followed by Autoglym HD Wax always gives me good results (Tornado Red). SRP can get a bit chalky, although the wax is excellent. I'm yet to get into the machine polishing game, so for now it's all by hand. Can I achieve better results with different products?

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »
So what's the difference between a sealant and a wax then? I always saw wax as a sealant - protecting the finish you attain with a polish?

Autoglym SRP followed by Autoglym HD Wax always gives me good results (Tornado Red). SRP can get a bit chalky, although the wax is excellent. I'm yet to get into the machine polishing game, so for now it's all by hand. Can I achieve better results with different products?

To be honest when your doing anything by hand so most you'll be able to is mask defects or fill in swirl marks making them look better than they are. I'd take the plunge into machine polishing sooner rather than later. You won't regret it trust me.

Here's an article that explains the difference between the two, I hope you find it helpful  :smiley :http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html and this one http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/waxpaintsealant-coating-whats-the-difference/

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:10 pm »

To be honest when your doing anything by hand so most you'll be able to is mask defects or fill in swirl marks making them look better than they are. I'd take the plunge into machine polishing sooner rather than later. You won't regret it trust me.

Here's an article that explains the difference between the two, I hope you find it helpful  :smiley :http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html
Cheers mate, I'll give that a read. It's not something I'm consciously avoiding - I know I'd get much better results with a machine polisher - more that I've never really got round to the point where I can put money into it. I tend to find with any project I've always got parts to uprate, repair or renew before I look at perfecting things!

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:21 pm »
Autoglym seems to split opinions 50/50, SRP and HD wax are both quite well thought of on detailing world though.
I bet most people couldn't tell the difference if a panel was done with turtle wax or a more expensive product.
I enjoy a clean car but its bordering on ridiculous all the different products on offer!
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.