Make a donation

Author Topic: Vish's Grey GTI Journal - New Wheels :)  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Vish's Grey GTI Journal - New Wheels :)
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:41:05 pm »
Hi all,

I'm back again with my second MK5 GTI as I just can't keep away from these little pocket rockets!

Today I sold my car and bought the following MK5 GTI. I had spent weeks shortlisting the right car and every time I found the perfect car I was beaten to the punch. This morning I shortlisted it down to 3, a silver manual ED30, a Red base spec DSG and the car I bought, a Grey high spec DSG.

The car has 4 previous owners (I'm the 5th) and 88K miles with a decent FSH but sadly no evidence (not to say it hasn't been done) of a cam belt change, spec as follows:

-DSG
-Xenons
-Heated Leather
-Highline Clocks
-18" Monza II's

I've already ordered the following for tomorrow (except the last one which is being posted):

-6L of Mobil 10w40 oil
-Oil Filter
-Fuel Filter
-Cabin Filter
-STP Engine Flush
-Connects2 Auxillary Adapter (plugs into the CD changer and gives Aux input, worked perfectly in my last GTI).

I will be giving the car a service and flush tomorrow to make sure I know what is in there and that she is freshly serviced.

I have also left a message with a local garage (Motorserv Solihull) for a price on Cambelt and Waterpump.

I will be replacing the cam follower and related o-rings and also the DV for Rev G next weekend, and will check the PVC when doing the service tomorrow.

I have never had a DSG so would appreciate any advice you guys have!

The mods I am currently hoping to do are as follows:

-Black BBS CH Wheels
-Induction Kit (not too fussy which as long as it is a direct fit and has a heat shield, I am not going for max power with this car)
-Cat-back exhaust
-Coilovers and FRSU

Anyway heres the car:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 06:56:35 pm by Vish8895 »

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Vish's Grey GTI Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:51:10 pm »
Welcome back Vish. Nice spec motor  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:20 pm »
Welcome back Vish. Nice spec motor  :happy2:

Thanks bud!

My last one had been modified to Stage 2/2+ I think but this one is stock meaning I can mod it how I like and know exactly what's been done (within reason of course).

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »
So headed to Euro Car Parts this morning as GSF was closed, and collected some service items :).

As the car is stock at the minute I didn't get the tuners favourite Millers Nano-Drive, but still got 5w40 as recommended by Niki @ R-Tech.

I ran the engine flush just for peace of mind and the rest is pretty much self explanatory! Didn't do the air filter as I am going to be doing an induction kit soon so seemed pointless  :signLOL:

I will be ordering the cam follower, HPFP o-rings and Rev G DV this week for next weekend :).

As noticed when buying the tracking clearly needs doing!

New filter ready to get fitted (excuse the scruffs)

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:50:59 am »
Just received the following ready for Saturday :).

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 04:10:53 pm »
Another busy day today!

I replaced the diverter valve and the cam follower and also fitted an auxillary input to allow me to use my Bluetooth streaming device :).

The diverter valve fitted was a rev C and looked fairly new, it was in perfect working order but as I had a brand new rev G DV it made sense to fit it.

The cam follower looked like it needed replacing in my opinion, there was a sizeable dent in it and for the sake of £50 and 30 minutes time it makes sense to change. The o-ring on the HPFP also looked like it had seen better days so was a good job I ordered the full kit from AwesomeGTI.

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Vish's Grey GTI Journal - New Wheels :)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »
Although I don't think anyone is reading this/gives a sh*t its nice to have a ongoing progress thread to look back on so heres another update.

I knew the tyres were low when I got the car so didn't give them more than a glance when I inspected it, but after having it in the air the other week I realised they were bordering dangerous. I was also getting some serious whining from the rear at speeds over 50mph which I put down to wheel bearings failing. Take a look at the worst offender  its completely bald on the inside and even bent/skewed out of shape, it goes to show what bad tracking can do to tyres... such a waste:

Anyway I needed new tyres urgently and budgeted around £400. Problem is I wanted new wheels so would of been spending £1K plus for new wheels and new tyres. Plus the suspension needs refreshing and the tracking needs doing so I'd of had to drop another £7-800 in for that too. So it was looking like a near £2k expenditure which just wasn't viable as we are looking to complete our house purchase in the next few weeks.

Instead I found these genuine Pescaras on eBay with nearly new (budget) tyres. I got them for a decent price and it now buys me some time until I can sort the suspension. I think it makes the car look much more modern and cleaner than the grey on grey seen above. Also the rear whining has gone so I suspect that was due to the difference in tyre wear and the noticeable "lip" it had caused.

The first few pics are before I got chance to soak the wheels in tyre dressing. The last pic shows them with nice glossy black tyres:

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »
Looks better with them new alloys

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:50:12 pm »
Looks better with them new alloys

Thanks! The fronts looks bang on but I think the rear would benefit from some 10-15mm hubcentric spacers   :jumpmove: