Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74339 times)

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
RCD330 with apple car play
« on: March 07, 2017, 03:44:18 pm »
I've now installed the RCD330 with CarPlay.
I also installed a reverse camera too.

Bugs found so far:
Right hand buttons are messed up (knew this before I bought, have seen new firmware to fix this but up to now I can't find it anywhere!)
    CarPlay and the reverse camera don't like to work together! If I leave maps up and then put it into reverse I just get a black screen until I unplug the USB and plug it back in again.
    I don't seem to be able to change the volume the radio turns on at. Not a big issue, but a setting does seem to show you can change this so must be a bug.
    I can't turn the voice directions off when using CarPlay maps to navigate, again a option is there to turn it off, it just doesn't do anything.

Other things to note is that you need a delay timer when fitting a camera. The radio doesn't have RDS, so won't auto retune to local frequencies. You can't same logos or names for radio stations. I don't get any type of album art from USB or SD card.

Bluetooth seems to work fine, no issues with built in mic. I can stream Spotify via Bluetooth perfectly. I needed a different antenna adaptor to use both the leads in the car.

My original post:
Looking at options for my 2005 GTI

Really don't want to spend over £400.

I want Bluetooth, a reverse camera and the option of some sort of navigation (carplay may do this). When searching I came across a RCD330 with carplay on ebay. and then have seen these listed from china.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Noname-6-5-MIB-Car-Radio-RCD330-Plus-Carplay-512MB-RAM-RDS-RCD510-RCN210-Bluetooth-For/32764486995.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000023.2.buNepv
[/list]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:32:48 pm by c.grex »

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:28 pm »
Wouldn't bother throwing money for this - Pretty sure the carplay/ mirror link doesn't work satisfying at all..

Track down a RNS-315 with Bluetooth. It's a genuine option and you know the mic for the Bluetooth work etc etc.

MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

willni

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:11 pm »
More hassle than its worth to go for one of the new units. It's hard to go from a mk6 golf to the mk7 system let alone the mk5 systems which are even older.

Best option is RNS-315 Bluetooth, reverse camera and nav £300 or so + canbus gateway if needed £55 + rear camera £300 odd if i remember

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:19 pm »
I have one of these installed in my car. Bluetooth is good, as is built in microphone for calls. Carplay works, no problems just need to make sure you are using a genuine cable. The stereo is a direct fit with the standard quadlock adapter and you should be supplied with a double fakra to single adapter within the box for the radio. I haven't tried mirror link yet but will have a go later on this week.

Only thing you may need to do is update canbus gateway in car as this suffers from the same battery drain issues as the RNS510

Paid £140 for this through aliexpress and bear in mind this is a genuine VW part - 6RD 035 187 A, just not to the european market.

I will try and get some pics up later of it installed. Hope this helps

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:13:28 pm »
I have one of these installed in my car. Bluetooth is good, as is built in microphone for calls. Carplay works, no problems just need to make sure you are using a genuine cable. The stereo is a direct fit with the standard quadlock adapter and you should be supplied with a double fakra to single adapter within the box for the radio. I haven't tried mirror link yet but will have a go later on this week.

Only thing you may need to do is update canbus gateway in car as this suffers from the same battery drain issues as the RNS510

Paid £140 for this through aliexpress and bear in mind this is a genuine VW part - 6RD 035 187 A, just not to the european market.

Thank you that would be good. I'm going to do the gateway just in case as I have access to VCDS. Are you running a camera or not?

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
More hassle than its worth to go for one of the new units. It's hard to go from a mk6 golf to the mk7 system let alone the mk5 systems which are even older.

Best option is RNS-315 Bluetooth, reverse camera and nav £300 or so + canbus gateway if needed £55 + rear camera £300 odd if i remember

Will any camera work in these if you use the adaptor cable like AliExpress one?

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:45 pm »
No camera as yet, but the lead it comes with is a standard AV lead so my assumption would be any camera with AV out would work, but cant confirm that. I have attached the link of the unit I purchased below, carplay ready. Hope it helps.  :happy2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-6-5-MIB-6-5-RCD330-RCD330G-Plus-RCD510-RCN210-Car-Radio-No-Name-6RD/32780955682.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Nka5Ae

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:58:29 am »
No camera as yet, but the lead it comes with is a standard AV lead so my assumption would be any camera with AV out would work, but cant confirm that. I have attached the link of the unit I purchased below, carplay ready. Hope it helps.  :happy2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-6-5-MIB-6-5-RCD330-RCD330G-Plus-RCD510-RCN210-Car-Radio-No-Name-6RD/32780955682.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.Nka5Ae

Cheers. I think I can buy everything for half the price of what a 315 would cost me, so I may give it a go.

Did you end up paying import duty on it?

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 08:40:59 am »

Cheers. I think I can buy everything for half the price of what a 315 would cost me, so I may give it a go.

Did you end up paying import duty on it?

It was about £22 when I collected from post office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline noopets

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 08:40:26 pm »
I've just ordered one of these on Sunday night, looking forward to receiving it. Hopefully won't suffer from battery drain but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! Was gonna go down the RNS510 route but thought I'd give this a go first. Supposedly they are decent units. Someone on Facebook ordered one and it arrived from China the next day!

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:53:20 am »
Well I've ordered too. Managed to get 330, Camera with a delay unit (Was advised by the seller they work better with this unit?), and canbus gateway all from the same seller.

We'll see how much the import tax is when it comes. Not expecting it soon.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »
It's a bit complicated, what does this even mean?!?! lol

Quote from: Alibaba
-Important about MirrorLink/CarPlay

If you would upgrade firmware, you need upgrade RAM as well. Option 'No Name with RAM' means we will send additional 1 piece 256MB DDR3 RAM, and 1* no name radio

As for battery drain, the RNS gets around that problem with a firmware update, so I'm sure the same must apply with this unit.

So with the carplay, does it connect with Bluetooth or a cable?  Does it play from where you left off, and does it re-pair itself automatically if you leave BT switched on on your phone?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline neilneddy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »

Thank you that would be good. I'm going to do the gateway just in case as I have access to VCDS. Are you running a camera or not?

So I managed to get some photos of the unit working with both Carplay - Iphone 6 (white cable) and Mirrorlink HTC M8 (black cable), stereo works with multifunction steering wheel.

Offline noopets

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »

So I managed to get some photos of the unit working with both Carplay - Iphone 6 (white cable) and Mirrorlink HTC M8 (black cable), stereo works with multifunction steering wheel.

Looks good mate - what version gateway did you have in the car?

Cheers

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:39:43 pm »
Thanks, looks really good. Good to know about steering wheel although I don't have one, I may in the future

I ordered Thursday and just had the tracking through today and it shows it as being delivered Monday.

I'll update with what fees I have to pay and after I've installed everything (gateway, RCd330, and camera)