Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone using this android head unit?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Anyone using this android head unit?
« on: June 06, 2021, 09:16:03 am »
So my rns510 has sh*t its pants Lol and I'm looking to upgrade to something better..
I've seen this and just wondered if it's worthwhile considering?

https://i.imgur.com/WlITWTt.jpg

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: Anyone using this android head unit?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 04:36:01 pm »
Steer clear of the really cheap unheard of brand android heads - my fist died within 48hrs of installation -fortunately I got my money back.
Second one is an Xtrons, it was OK once the gateway was upgraded to stop battery drain - tried coding it into VCDS but it just shows an error.
Torque app gives you a screen full of gauges and an on the road fault code reader.

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 04:38:38 pm »
thanks for the info mate...   so Xtrons is ok is it??

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 04:46:03 pm »
I think Xtrons has some iffy reviews. I was the same as you looking for a cheap Android but after reading how unreliable and buggy most of them are I saved a bit extra for a Kenwood. If you can go the extra and get a Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony etc. I would do that.

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 04:50:15 pm »
thanks for reply mate...   can you get direct replacement kenwood etc specific for a mk5 golf that is plug and play?
cos to be honest,  i really dont know what this updating the Gateway actually means  :signLOL:

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:06:18 pm »
why the hell did my 510 decide to pack up 2 days after my sub/amp install  :thinking: :fighting:
its just stuck in loop mode on the start up screen.   
i think i'll probably end up trying my luck with a xtrons 9" android unit and hope for the best..

but what the hell is a gateway? Lol

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:25:20 pm »
Gateway is the canbus gateway, older Mk5's original gateway cant switch off the newer head unit fully - meaning battery drain.

To be fair, the Xtrons has been OK, but there is zero support from the manufacturer - I deliberately got it through amazon in case anything went wrong.
I was hoping for a seamless working music/radio/navigation - but it really is trial and error trying different apps - these apps can sometimes crash.... or get removed by google... or need updating... its about 15% more nerdy than I would like.

But - Torque app is great for digital dash and error code reading/clearing.

There is a Chinese Android head that is OEM VW - heard good things on the forum

If you want something more plug and play and works out of the box - stick with the mainstream manufacturers - I don't think they make one specifically shaped for the Mk5, you would need a facia adapter and it will be a smaller screen - but you may still need an updated canbus.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:18:08 pm »
thanks for reply mate...   can you get direct replacement kenwood etc specific for a mk5 golf that is plug and play?
cos to be honest,  i really dont know what this updating the Gateway actually means  :signLOL:

Yes but as above you need a fitting kit. 'CT23VW01' is the one I got, £24.99 on eBay. If I could have found a cheaper android one that had solid reviews I would have gone for it.

Offline Twistedandy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 02:00:35 pm »
Xtrons head unit was fitted in my car when I bought it, I’m really pleased that the unit is so flexible and I’m looking forward to getting it sorted to my liking, first 5hing I’ve done is added the DAB module and now stuck on sorting a decent antenna without ripping the car apart…any advice appreciated.
2009 Black Pirelli DSG