Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74364 times)

Offline LukeTabasco

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2017, 02:50:32 pm »
Hi,

I've just installed a RCD330 and love it! My brothers got a scirocco with a RCD510 and the 330 is so much better!

I changed the gateway to 7N0907530AQ as I have a 2004 MK5 and the battery drained after leaving the car for 24hours.

I've got a problem now though were the dash says that my rear fog and reverse light are out and when I try to use them they don't work. I swapped the old gateway in (7N0907530C) and the lights started working but the error was still on the dash. Is this a problem that needs sorting with VAGCOM?

If anyones got any advice that would be great!!

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:44 pm »
Hi,

I've just installed a RCD330 and love it! My brothers got a scirocco with a RCD510 and the 330 is so much better!

I changed the gateway to 7N0907530AQ as I have a 2004 MK5 and the battery drained after leaving the car for 24hours.

I've got a problem now though were the dash says that my rear fog and reverse light are out and when I try to use them they don't work. I swapped the old gateway in (7N0907530C) and the lights started working but the error was still on the dash. Is this a problem that needs sorting with VAGCOM?

If anyones got any advice that would be great!!

VCDS will sort it. The gateway you have fitted must have been from a left hand drive car. it just needs setting to right hand drive

Offline alleks

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2017, 10:12:50 am »
Hey there. I am planning on buying an RCD330G from AliExpress soon, so I checked the version of my CAN Gateway and this is it: 1K0 907 530 L - J533 Gateway H07 0052. My car was produced at the end of 2007.

Can anyone please confirm that this is the version that works fine with that unit (and I get no battery drain)? I saw some comments saying that something newer than L might be needed. Also, do I need to do anything VCDS after installing the unit?

Thanks a lot!

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 01:28:46 am »
think you will be ok with a 'L'.

you only need VCDS if you want to install a reverse camera. if you buy I'd recommend you uy a version 'B' RCD330. I've had the version A with the button the wrong way round and now got a version B witht he buttons working correctly, and it works perfect without any issues, unlike the version A.

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:14 pm »
Would these work in a mk6 golf.
And also can you use google maps on these units through iPhone.

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 11:50:40 pm »
Would these work in a mk6 golf.
And also can you use google maps on these units through iPhone.

Yeah should work in mk6 no problems & it's apple maps only, google maps app comes up on it

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:17 am »
Does anyone know how to turn off the reverse camera setting on these? I have a dsg box so whenever I have to go past reverse it brings up on the screen no camera active and I have to exit to get back to CarPlay?

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 03:15:03 pm »
Turns out the Android Auto version has arrived, shame no one will want to buy my existing Apple carplay one to part upgrade to it!

Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline Bearings

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2017, 10:17:07 pm »
Turns out the Android Auto version has arrived, shame no one will want to buy my existing Apple carplay one to part upgrade to it!

Now I'm interested if Android is working on these now. Been getting a little bored of my chinese double-din and I fancy an OEM version if it integrates fully.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a reliable link where these are being sold?
Also - is there a microphone jack on the back of these units so an external mic can be plugged in?

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2017, 12:11:42 am »

Now I'm interested if Android is working on these now. Been getting a little bored of my chinese double-din and I fancy an OEM version if it integrates fully.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a reliable link where these are being sold?
Also - is there a microphone jack on the back of these units so an external mic can be plugged in?

Aliexpress were all good for me but I just checked and the seller I bought doesn't seem to be on it anymore.
I don't think you can do an external mic but I'll be taking mines back out through the week to fit the fakra cable so I'll have a look. No complaints from me for the inbuilt mic, haven't had any problems or anyone ever saying it's hard to hear me.

Offline Bearings

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2017, 12:20:16 am »
Cheers @Db4193  A proper Android Auto experience would be great!

Reason for the external mic is that I already have one fitted into the car near my overhead lights / rear view mirror so if it's there, it might as well be plugged in if possible.

Is it the RCD330G Plus you have? You've just answered that, cheers!  :smiley:

Also what ballpark figure did you pay? Feel free to PM if you would prefer?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:25:39 am by Bearings »

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:29 am »
Yeah the plus one without cd player

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2017, 08:33:44 pm »
I'll probably be selling my RCD330G Plus if anyone wants to save customs/imports/delivery time and offer something reasonable for mine.

Well if you have an iPhone and don't intend to stray from Apple any time soon... Collection would be from Hertfordshire or can probably meet half way to take it out and swap it over, it's only 30mins work.

As for the mic, it's as clear as speakerphone on my HTC10 or homephone in speakerphone mode so it's not exactly terrible, seems to do a good job filtering out the engine hum and road noise too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:37:51 pm by spicypixel »
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline Bearings

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2017, 09:49:30 am »
I thought this may have been a cheap-ish way of getting Android Auto but it would appear I would need to update a few things to make it all work properly - Mk6 MF steering wheel since I have the std MFSW with 8 buttons, clock spring, steering module, Canbus gateway and so on.

Since my chinese unit still does the job, I'll continue with that for now.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:03 am »
Cheers @Db4193  A proper Android Auto experience would be great!

Reason for the external mic is that I already have one fitted into the car near my overhead lights / rear view mirror so if it's there, it might as well be plugged in if possible.

Is it the RCD330G Plus you have? You've just answered that, cheers!  :smiley:

Also what ballpark figure did you pay? Feel free to PM if you would prefer?

I've just changed out an RCD510 with 9w7 Bluetooth module (see my posts in What did you do to your Mk5 today to see all the details). I've only had it a few days but so far can't tell any difference in microphone quality or clarity.
I did de-pin my existing mic from the plug where it goes into the old Bluetooth module and coiled up the wire in case I think I need to connect it to the RCD330 Plus. I've just tucked the wires up behind the fuse box so they are out of the way for now but easy to access should I wish to connect it.
There isn't another plug on the back of the RCD330 Plus for an additional microphone though, so attaching it will require disassembly and soldering of the additional microphone. I may do this though as I've seen a Russian site that shows how you can wire in an additional USB cable so that you can route the cable and plug somewhere more convenient than having to plug into the front of the radio which I'm not a fan of.
I'm thinking of running an extra USB cable and plug into the bottom of the ashtray that I don't use and making some sort of dock for my iPhone in there.

I ordered my radio on Monday night and it arrived in New Zealand on Friday morning which I was impressed by. I got the 187B version but there is also a newer version (essentially a 187C) available now which I think is called the R340G. People are saying it's got a few bugs though.