Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74343 times)

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:07 pm »
What’s streaming music like from your phone anygood. And the Bluetooth is it clear

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »
What’s streaming music like from your phone anygood. And the Bluetooth is it clear

Yeah it's fine only difference really is the volume control is operational on your phone with bluetooth

Offline Timmsy21

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:54 am »
Coming from a 16 plate Polo GTI (brand new lease) I was used to having the touch screen style headunit so going to the standard Golf one was a bit backwards so had to jump on this!

Fitted my Noname RCD330 today. Works like a charm! Genuine Apple cable and no issues with CarPlay. It’s a bit limited on apps but maps and Spotify are the main ones I use anyways.
Much better than the old unit I had which had a Parrot thing attached to it.

Need to check which gateway my late 07 GTI has this weekend when I get more time.

Anyone have a full part number for the CH steering wheel module so I can get the MFSW working? Or have one for sale?

CRZ13

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2018, 08:43:14 am »
Morning all,

Newly registered on this forum, (quite active on the Audisport.net forum under the name Omy193)

Have bought another golf gti mk5 as i missed my old one so much lol!
Came fully loaded with almost all options apart from folding mirrors and MFD2

I was looking to get a RCD510 but having come across this thread im considering the 330

Can anyone confirm if they have managed to get the 8 Button MK5 Steering wheel working with this unit as that would make/break my decision :P

Kind regards

Offline phas3r

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2018, 12:05:40 pm »
I am currently on RNS510+9WZ so am wondering if I should jump to RCD330/340

i will gain:
USB functions (i do not have MDI on my current setup)
BT without any additional device
carplay
mirrorlink
direct iphone cable to HU
easier pairing - there's no need to pair using cluster, correct me if im wrong

what i'm concern on losing:
sound quality - any advice on this?
HD resolution
HDD - not a problem
radio station name?
not fully original vw?

any comments?
More to add:
Does it display track name on cluster?
No more navigation (standalone)
Voice recognition - yes or no?
08 MKV GTI DSG shadow blue
Engine: Revo Stage 2 7-3-9 | Forge Twintake | S3 Intercooler | R8 Coils | APR RSC MK6 Catback + 3" DeCat Downpipe
Brake/Susp : Golf R 345mm Front | Michelin PS4 225/40/18 | BBS CO VZ033 18" | H&R Rear ARB | S3 Lower Arm Bush
Interior: RNS 510 | 9WZ | Retrofitted CC | MK6R Rev Cam | Midline cluster :(

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »
Anyone have a full part number for the CH steering wheel module so I can get the MFSW working? Or have one for sale?

You need a 1K0 953 549 CH steering module, I've ordered mine from AliExpress and it works fine in my 2005 GTI (MK6 MFSW + RCD330 stereo controls).

i will gain:
carplay
mirrorlink

HD resolution
HDD - not a problem
radio station name?
not fully original vw?

any comments?

More to add:
To answer your questions:

1) Sound quality - any advice on this?
In my opinion it's just as good, you will not degrade from going RNS510 to RCD330.

2) HD resolution
The screen IMO is much sharper and more responsive than the RCD/RNS510 units from my experience. Though I guess that depends if you have the earlier RNS units or the later versions.

3) HDD - not a problem
There are no built-in storage devices on the RCD330 but the connectivity options make up for this.

4) Radio station name?
There's no RDS on these units so it only display frequencies (MHz) when tuning. However when you lock on a station it will display the current Radio Station Name. My advice is just bookmark the frequencies so you can quickly switch over if needed (stores up to 10 if I recall).

5) Not fully original vw?
They are original OEM VW products but intended for the Asian market only (i.e. China).

6) Does it display track name on cluster?
No from what I'm aware.

7) No more navigation (standalone)
Yes and no. There's no built in mapping but if you choose the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto RCD330 you can piggyback map data from your phone to the stereo and use the Sat Nav function that way. I personally use Google Maps for my navigation these days and it's always up to date unlike the SD card versions where you have to pay for an updated map every couple of years.

8 ) Voice recognition - yes or no?
Not too sure on Android Auto but for Apple CarPlay you can use Siri via the RCD330. I haven't tried this myself though.

9) Easier pairing - there's no need to pair using cluster, correct me if im wrong
Yes you can pair directly from the unit, you can even rename the stereo connection name if you wish. It will also give you options to either use full bluetooth connectivity or partial (just A2DP audio stream only).

Offline phas3r

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2018, 06:10:47 pm »

You need a 1K0 953 549 CH steering module, I've ordered mine from AliExpress and it works fine in my 2005 GTI (MK6 MFSW + RCD330 stereo controls).

i will gain:
carplay
mirrorlink

HD resolution
HDD - not a problem
radio station name?
not fully original vw?

any comments?

More to add:
To answer your questions:

1) Sound quality - any advice on this?
In my opinion it's just as good, you will not degrade from going RNS510 to RCD330.

2) HD resolution
The screen IMO is much sharper and more responsive than the RCD/RNS510 units from my experience. Though I guess that depends if you have the earlier RNS units or the later versions.

3) HDD - not a problem
There are no built-in storage devices on the RCD330 but the connectivity options make up for this.

4) Radio station name?
There's no RDS on these units so it only display frequencies (MHz) when tuning. However when you lock on a station it will display the current Radio Station Name. My advice is just bookmark the frequencies so you can quickly switch over if needed (stores up to 10 if I recall).

5) Not fully original vw?
They are original OEM VW products but intended for the Asian market only (i.e. China).

6) Does it display track name on cluster?
No from what I'm aware.

7) No more navigation (standalone)
Yes and no. There's no built in mapping but if you choose the Apple CarPlay/Android Auto RCD330 you can piggyback map data from your phone to the stereo and use the Sat Nav function that way. I personally use Google Maps for my navigation these days and it's always up to date unlike the SD card versions where you have to pay for an updated map every couple of years.

8 ) Voice recognition - yes or no?
Not too sure on Android Auto but for Apple CarPlay you can use Siri via the RCD330. I haven't tried this myself though.

9) Easier pairing - there's no need to pair using cluster, correct me if im wrong
Yes you can pair directly from the unit, you can even rename the stereo connection name if you wish. It will also give you options to either use full bluetooth connectivity or partial (just A2DP audio stream only).
Thanks for the detailed explainations. Definitely the lack of hdd and navigation is not a problem as the new features make them redundant. The rns navigation is definitely showing that it is one gen behind from the interface, and from where i live the maps are even less detailed.
Definitely no need of hdd as my spotify playlist pretty much covered everything
You dont even need the silly mdi to use usb or even add BT kits to it

But lack of title display on mfd is a bit of a miss. It wont work even on mk6 style mfd?
08 MKV GTI DSG shadow blue
Engine: Revo Stage 2 7-3-9 | Forge Twintake | S3 Intercooler | R8 Coils | APR RSC MK6 Catback + 3" DeCat Downpipe
Brake/Susp : Golf R 345mm Front | Michelin PS4 225/40/18 | BBS CO VZ033 18" | H&R Rear ARB | S3 Lower Arm Bush
Interior: RNS 510 | 9WZ | Retrofitted CC | MK6R Rev Cam | Midline cluster :(

Offline Rob.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
Definitely no MFD integration. Voice control on Android Auto works great though; can reply to SMS, search for Spotify tracks etc

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2018, 03:05:07 pm »
To get Mk5 8 button steering wheel controls to work to can also get the can translator from aliexpress. Only costs a few dollars and easier to install than a different steering wheel module.
If want the link to it, let me know and I'll find it.

Never mind, here it is:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32847626802.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32847626802&productSubject=BODENLA-RCD330-MIB-RCD510-Multifunction-Steering-Wheel-Button-Control-Simulator-Adapter-For-VW-Golf-5-6
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:13:15 pm by The Red Warrior »

CRZ13

« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2018, 09:19:10 am »
To get Mk5 8 button steering wheel controls to work to can also get the can translator from aliexpress. Only costs a few dollars and easier to install than a different steering wheel module.

Never mind, here it is:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32847626802.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32847626802&productSubject=BODENLA-RCD330-MIB-RCD510-Multifunction-Steering-Wheel-Button-Control-Simulator-Adapter-For-VW-Golf-5-6

Top man, seller also reckons that the adapter will resolve battery drain issue  :jumpmove:

Have ordered myself a RCD330 and the adapter but also a new CAN Gateway just incase it doesn't work  :drinking:

Offline Timmsy21

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2018, 04:33:56 pm »

Never mind, here it is:

Just plug and play with that?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »

Never mind, here it is:

I assume so. I don't actually have one as I had already done the mk6 MFSW swap with the CH steering wheel module.

Offline 22

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2018, 12:26:27 pm »
Can anyone help me out?

I bought a RCD330 hooked it up to the OEM connectors etc, but CarPlay wont work?

I get a message "app-connect not supported" or sometimes it says "iPhone connect"

Have I got an older version with older Firmware? This was bought locally in NZ..

Offline Db4193

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2018, 10:42:15 pm »

Never mind, here it is:

I assume so. I don't actually have one as I had already done the mk6 MFSW swap with the CH steering wheel module.

I've just ordered will see how it goes

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2018, 08:45:17 am »
Can anyone help me out?

I bought a RCD330 hooked it up to the OEM connectors etc, but CarPlay wont work?

I get a message "app-connect not supported" or sometimes it says "iPhone connect"

Have I got an older version with older Firmware? This was bought locally in NZ..

Where did you get it from? Do you have a link? Did it specifically say it was an Apple CarPlay version?
If you hold down the set-up or settings button (depending on which model you have) then it should show you which version it is and you'll be able to see if it should have CarPlay or not.

Where in NZ are you?