Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD330 with apple car play  (Read 74357 times)

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2018, 11:16:46 pm »
Okay got rear usb/aux working!
Followed information from here:

Results:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QQB2VM5UYTE4tPPU6

Firstly, the cheap mk6 clone connector I got from aliexpress was junk, getting a proper VW connector fixed the issue.

I used:
https://amzn.to/2Mcw6tl - mk6 button for dash and cable (I got rid of the button)
https://amzn.to/2KM1Wri - the twin usb and aux, the usb connector inside is crap, swap it for the one from the button.
https://amzn.to/2KMj7J6 and https://amzn.to/2KNiejx connectors for easy 3.5mm jack connector - could have used the vw connector but couldn't find a female connector for the white one on the aux so this sufficed. (red is right, white is left, black is ground)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253804385474 - stripped the connector off and soldered the cable to the motherboard.

Few notes:
1) front aux and usb work though usb is power only, no data works there it just throws an error.
2) rear works fine, but you must keep the cable as short as possible.
3) the cable you connect to the usb socket in the car is super important too, needs to be short and shielded, for me I used https://amzn.to/2nwjLkY for my usb-c phone, simply because it was short, well screened and right angle.
4) connection can disconnect randomly but no worse than hanging a cable off the front like before...
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2018, 12:39:57 pm »
Has anybody experienced issues with the mfsw adapter? I've used one but the up/down keys on the wheel skip tracks whenever I use them to go through the MFD menu. Can this be disabled?

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2018, 03:27:36 pm »
Has anybody got the MFSW buttons to work properly wih the 330? Its the only thing keeping me from getting one!

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »
Yes I have. Using canbus emulator

Have you got highline clocks or midline?

Theaxexvah

RCD330 with apple car play
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2018, 02:47:42 pm »
Hi Sonny, can you do this via your dealer after getting the car as I didnt spec apple car play but may want it a some point.  is it just a case of asking the service department to add it via a software update to idrive?

Offline Limitless

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2019, 10:40:11 pm »
Hi Guys

Have read the entire thread and a lot of others too on this section but need a little help if you can provide it please?

My uncle is selling me his mk5 GTI it's 55 plate

He got loads of the extras including the sat nav screen but a few months ago it started scratching the disc and it doesn't work for satnav anymore so looking to replace it.

I use an android so would prefer something with android auto, the rcd330 looks good would you recomend that for me? Don't want spend a fortune, just something that does a good job.

There seems to be so many on Ali express, is it possible somone to post a link to one I should buy?

I also saw that instead of replacing the Cambus I could just order from Ali express the adaptor to make the 8 button steering wheel control work and that fixes the battery drain?

Is it as simple as buying those two things and giving it to a mechanic to install or can I do it myself relatively easily?

Thanks for your help and advice, sorry new to this and just a bit lost.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:04 am »
@Limitless    You can do it yourself easily. Just follow YouTube videos on how to remove radio from mk5 golf. Only tools needed are a plastic pry tool and a torx 20 wrench. Oh, and a 10mm spanner to remove and reinstall your negative cable on your battery. If you leave the battery connected while you have the passenger air bag warning light plug removed, you will get the air bag fault light appear on the instrument cluster.
Even if you take your time, watch the video a bunch of times, stop for a coffee/beer/cup of tea/line of cocaine you’ll get this done in well under an hour and a half.
As for which one to buy, well been a while since I bought mine. I’d say any of the B version sold by the reputable sellers. I bought mine from aidu auto

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:49:59 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2019, 12:38:27 pm »
Here's the one I purchased it works very happy with it... i also purchased the multi function cable for the steering to get rid of the battery drain... Didn't work so had to use jumper cable for the fuses in the engine bay all good now
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32847367189.html

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:03 pm »
This should help you to install.. He's got the same radio as the one from the link above

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2019, 11:29:55 pm »
If you install one of these does the steering wheel buttons work, and does it show music playing tracks and stuff in the high line also navigation.

Offline leetdi22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2019, 05:33:08 pm »
Hi,
If i updated my gateway when i fitted the rns510 a fewyears ago would i have to renew again ?
Part number Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 AD

Thanks
Lee

Offline Limitless

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2019, 11:15:33 pm »
@Lucky ducky

Do you have a link to the fuse fix you me tioned earlier.

With my Rcd330 (which I'm still waiting for) I got a new gateway incase the other fixes didn't work, it's my last resort as I don't have anything to program it with.

I also bought the streeing wheel buttons connector that is meant to fix the battery drain(I know you didn't have much luck with it but thought I'd try) if that doesn't work I'll try the fuse fix.

My uncle mentioned he's had a battery drain issue for years, he hasn't changed the screen or done any modifications, has had the battery changed a few times by the as but it hasn't helped. Whenever he went on holiday the car wouldn't start. Was hopeing the above battery drain fixes might fix this problem as well but apart from not using the car for a few days or buying a obd11 reader is there a way to find out if the control unit has fixed the issue?

Thanks so much the red warrior, I didn't know about removing the battery neutral so that help a lot.

Thanks for all your help guys, wil try and do it myself when it arrives and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2019, 01:48:09 am »
@leetdi22
No you won’t.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:43:05 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2019, 08:20:41 am »
If you install one of these does the steering wheel buttons work, and does it show music playing tracks and stuff in the high line also navigation.

The buttons can work (although for me pressing the buttons to change and skip tracks also changes the menu on high line which can be a bit annoying) - I have not figured out how to stop this, it might need some coding so welcome any feedback or help on this.

Unfortunately it does not show any music or navigation on the high line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2019, 08:33:13 am »

The buttons can work (although for me pressing the buttons to change and skip tracks also changes the menu on high line which can be a bit annoying) - I have not figured out how to stop this, it might need some coding so welcome any feedback or help on this.

Unfortunately it does not show any music or navigation on the high line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for getting back, tough one as I like everything working as it should