Make a donation

Author Topic: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Good Bye Gti, Hello Mk5 R32  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Good Bye Gti, Hello Mk5 R32
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:13:55 am »
Hi to everyone :happy2:,
I've been meaning to start this thread going for a little bit after eventually getting my hands on a Mk5 Gti.... I'm not new to the VW scene  and have been mainly into Mk2's (owned a couple of 8v and 16 valvers) and tinkered around with them, a few shows, clubs, forums etc. but have been out of the loop for a couple of years. My previous car was a Mk4 V5 170bhp variant (underrated Golf in my eyes) and had been great solid car for the last few years, sounded awesome especially mated to a Milltek system  :happy2:

Anyway, thought I'd start with a few pics of some my other past rides as I'm sure being as were all VW fans here and if your anything like me, always love a few photos...... :jumping:

Here's a few of my Mk2's.....

Mk2 16v with 2.0L ABF bottom end

Mk2 8v with 2.0L bottom end with Mk2 16v gear box

Mk4 V5 2.3 170

So, enough of that, here's the low down on my newly acquired Mk5.... Oh and by the way, yes I do have a liking for silver Golf's  :P Purchased my tidy little number just over a month back after spending ages looking through ads and listings etc. as there were plenty of high mileage decent examples but to be honest, I initially was hankering after and Edition 30 but were either over priced high mileage examples or highly modified..... I really wanted a blank canvass to start with so all the mods I could oversee myself and would then know where I was with the car so ended up with this:

2008 3 door in Reflex Silver  :happy2:
Full service history
58k miles
18" Monza 2's
Auto xenons
MFSW
High Line clocks

Looking to keep her OEM/OEM+ but a few mods and work have already started..... :jumping:
Done so far:
Milltek cat back non res exhaust
Ed.30/R32 rear lights
Professional 2 stage paint correction and full detail carried out by Etreme Valeting
New uprated battery
2 x Goodyear Eagle F1's
Thermostat replaced (usual low engine temp running issues)
Polo stubby aerial
Custom floor mats
Obligatory Gti seat handle badges
6000k xenon white led side light and rear number plate bulbs

Still plenty to do on 'the list' but in due course and just waiting on a pcv, cam follower and dv as the next jobs. Also hoping to pick up some H&R lowering springs and VWR dampers as soon as Awesome get the dampers back in stock  :sad1:
In the meantime I'm just enjoying driving her and enjoying my commutes to work as this will be my daily  :driver:

Cheers for dropping in  :happy2:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:58:17 pm by Rogue5 »
Reflex Silver '08 3dr Gti, Manual, 18" Monza II's,  Auto Xenon's, MFSW, Highline, Milltek Non Res, R32 Rear Lights.

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Warning....pic heavy!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:58:05 am »
Looks a good example there! Nice colour!
Well specced too.
Should give the steering wheel a going over with a magic sponge.

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:28:27 am »
Looks a good example there! Nice colour!
Well specced too.
Should give the steering wheel a going over with a magic sponge.

Cheers, liking your Eddy by the way :happy2:

Ah yes, the old magic sponge.... definitely needs doing so I'll add to 'the list'   :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:43:20 am by Rogue5 »
Reflex Silver '08 3dr Gti, Manual, 18" Monza II's,  Auto Xenon's, MFSW, Highline, Milltek Non Res, R32 Rear Lights.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:47:49 pm »
Looks like a lovely example, well done.  :congrats:

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »
Looks like a lovely example, well done.  :congrats:

Thanks  :happy2:
Really enjoying her at the mo, great fun to drive  :laugh:

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Cosmetic surgery & still pic heavy...
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:56:36 pm »
It's been a while since I've updated so apologies in advance.....

Decided to concentrate on the cosmetics recently as the bonnet and front bumper needed tidying up after 10 years of use, stone chips and bumper scuffs and acratches. The bumper and bonnet have now been resprayed and has tidied and freshened up the front end nicely (images to follow).

Also the grill and front plastics have been doing my head in as they kept turning grey and faded despited cleaning and treating and we all know how tedious that is to do.... :surprised: So I've decided to get them all plastic sprayed satin black and what a difference.... (I'll need to get some outdoor shots at the weekend) The gloss black grill surrounnd was resprayed gloss again due to stone chips and the red 'lipstick' trim has been repainted too. Took the opertunity to replace the GTI & VW grill badges too with oem replacements. :happy2:

Also had these 'open' fog grills (non oem) painted but undecided whether to fit them yet so the oem ones are going in.

More updates to follow shortly..... :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:33:40 pm by Rogue5 »

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI -Pre re-map......
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:13 pm »
As I'm planning to take her in for a remap soon I wanted to get a couple of things done and checked. Also wanted to get the oil & filter changed and have the cam follower done, it was time to fill up the boot....

Had the PCV done and replaced to the latest revision and decided to give the diverter valve the DV+ treatment a go from GFP also. A nice full sump of Millers Nanodrive 5w40 NT+ & oem filter was done and also had a Golf R/Audi S3 short shift kit (oem part 8J0 711 046 E). Reduces the throw not by a huge amount (15-20%) but enough to appreciate it without paying a bomb for an after market kit plus it keeps it oem/+  :smiley: 

Old follower not looking too worse for wear  :happy2:

Cars now running really sweet, nice and smooth with the short shifter firming up the gear change nicely with a noticeable positive engagement. Still feeling the need for more poke though so hopefully will get her Stage 1 mapped to start things off in the very near future and would like to get her done through R-Tech but it's a 6+ hour round trip....... Awesome are a lot closer (1 hour there) and my mechanic (ex. VW Technician) and a wizz on everything VAG said he'd do one for me also and he's just down the road lol. Decisions decisions..... :rolleye: :driver: Any pointers are very welcome cheers. :happy2:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:39:14 pm by Rogue5 »

Offline Butler

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Pre remap time...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:20:46 am »
Looking great...... :happy2:

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: Black Magic Pearl 2007 MK5 GTI
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:13 pm »
Loving it mate, a lot of the same stuff i'm doing to mine. Interested to see what power you make at re-map time.
Project Cars:
Alpine White 1990 316i E30
Le Mans Blue 2006 320D M-Sport
Black Magic Pearl 2007 MK5 GTI

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 10:04:52 pm »
Loving it mate, a lot of the same stuff i'm doing to mine. Interested to see what power you make at re-map time.

Cheers. I've been ill with this flu virus for over a week now so plans have been delayed for the time being.... :sick: I'm now toying with some downpipe options pre re-map and going to bang in a new set of red coilpacks and NGK plugs for piece of mind but she was fully winter serviced with VW Dec '16 and hasn't covered that many miles since to be fair. Also a Revo intake will be on the cards possibly too. Otherwise apart from the Milltek cat back and VWR panel filter, it's stock so the figures will make interesting reading... better get saving those extra pennies I guess  :happy2:

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 10:37:11 pm »

Cheers. I've been ill with this flu virus for over a week now so plans have been delayed for the time being.... :sick: I'm now toying with some downpipe options pre re-map and going to bang in a new set of red coilpacks and NGK plugs for piece of mind but she was fully winter serviced with VW Dec '16 and hasn't covered that many miles since to be fair. Also a Revo intake will be on the cards possibly too. Otherwise apart from the Milltek cat back and VWR panel filter, it's stock so the figures will make interesting reading... better get saving those extra pennies I guess  :happy2:

I'd love to stick a downpipe on mine however my car needs NCT (Irish MOT) yearly and any form of catless downpipe is a straight fail. I'm not sure I want to be swapping downpipes every year just for a 40 minute test either. I'm hoping for 245-250hp with stock downpipe.
Project Cars:

Offline Butler

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 10:48:41 pm »
My stock dsg just made 250 and 337 ft/lb done at r tech...

Offline DelaneyGTI

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »
My stock dsg just made 250 and 337 ft/lb done at r tech...

I like the sound of that
Project Cars:

Offline Rogue5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Good Bye Gti, Hello Mk5 R32
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:18 pm »
Well after 12 months of ownership I decided to sell her before doing the mapping work and a long list of all mods that seemed to forever grow and could help but scratch the R32 itch.........All I can say is WOW! She may not be the quickest but that noise, that sound!! Sorry if I've upset anyone but this car has put the biggest smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel! :jumping: :jumping:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Rogue 5's Reflex Silver GTI - Good Bye Gti, Hello Mk5 R32
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 10:04:54 pm »
didnt realise it was you on here and on the r32oc forum..
not the quickest car but i still love driving mine