Make a donation

Author Topic: Passenger door lock module  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Passenger door lock module
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »
Hi all

I have a five door GTi and my passenger door has become pretty temperamental when unlocking the car. It's got to the point where if I need to let someone in, I lean over and open the door from the inside. I know this is quite a common problem on these cars. Where's the best place to get replacement door modules?

Cheers

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Passenger door lock module
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
For what I've seen you don't need to replace the door lock. Just get it to someone who knows a bit of electronics. The electric connections to the small motors that control the locks aren't great. Most likely they're only making a good connection from time to time. A bit of solder on those connections should be enough to fix it. :smiley:

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 03:33:59 pm »
For what I've seen you don't need to replace the door lock. Just get it to someone who knows a bit of electronics. The electric connections to the small motors that control the locks aren't great. Most likely they're only making a good connection from time to time. A bit of solder on those connections should be enough to fix it. :smiley:

Thanks for this info that's useful to know. I'll take the door skin off and have a look. It seems to be on the go slow as if I use the lock/unlock buttons on the door, it seems to be a bit delayed opening the passenger door.

Cheers

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:31 pm »
If I could go back I would have tried to recondition my old unit rather than binning it.

I purchased one off eBay with a guarantee of a year I think. Obviously it since started to fail (2 years on).

4ndy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:04:27 pm »
Just replaced passenger lock module with an ebay special for £20  Nice and easy fix  Only time will tell on quality.  Maybe return in 10 months for a replacement before the warranty runs out :laugh:
 Did see the soldering fix but the £20 price won me over :signLOL:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 08:17:40 pm »
It's fairly common across our platform.  Ive seen quite a few people have success on the Leon groups by drilling a tiny hole in the plastic casing of the module and spraying lubricant on the workings!

Ill see if i can find the video.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »
&feature=youtu.be

Offline Motor Mad

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:47 pm »

Thanks for the link. A little bit of WD40 in the hole followed by caking the outside!

Cheers

Offline IOMAL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
&feature=youtu.be
Great vid ,just tried it on my gttdi and the door card is completely different ,no easy fix here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 01:22:15 am »
&feature=youtu.be
Great vid ,just tried it on my gttdi and the door card is completely different ,no easy fix here

But on the golf the whole pure door skin comes off, no?

Offline IOMAL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 05:29:07 am »
&feature=youtu.be

But on the golf the whole pure door skin comes off, no?
I believe so but on the vid ,that is showing access from the inside ,I took my doorcard off and it's looking like no access at all to the door module ,so it's door skin off to reach it ,looks easy enough ,just have to try again when I have a bit more time on my hands

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 03:48:08 pm »
Did anyone ever actually succeed with drilling and greasing their door lock module?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:02 pm »
Did anyone ever actually succeed with drilling and greasing their door lock module?

I tried it using GT85 and it's worked for over twelve months to date on MKIV golf, but failed totally on the MKV I tried it on.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 09:28:14 pm »
My rear passenger one played up last week. Was making a horrible noise and wouldn’t lock or unlock.

I took the little rubber gasket off and sprayed copious amounts of wd40 at it, whilst unlocking and locking the car and working the red paddle for the mechanism at the same time.

Eventually it started working again. No idea if this was just luck or whether what I did actually had an impact, but it’s been fine since (touch wood).