Make a donation

Author Topic: Project save the Grey  (Read 10672 times)

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Project save the Grey
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:37 am »
Hi Everyone,newbie here from Ireland, been a long time lurker and  GTI nut. I have been stricken with the GTI'itis for some time now! i've had Mk2:

a Mk5

and a Mk7

now i am back with a Grey MK5:

My New Grey GTI is in a bit of a sorry state, rear brakes seized, had very little oil in it when i took delivery of it, the wings are beginning to bubble with rust. I wouldn't normally buy a car in such a poor condition but i always wanted those upgrade Recaro's :love:, car also has Factory Xenons, cruise, folding heated mirrors with puddle lights and the usual GTI bits
Plans so far;
1. Engine flush
2. Proper service,gear box oil, CV boots, cam follower, pcv valve, termostat, coilpack
3. Get the brakes working properly again (it actually passed the MOT with seized brakes! I'm in Ireland so i have to get it through the Irish Car test which seems to be more stringent?)
4. Wet vac seats and see about getting the driver side bolster redone (anyone know somone who would be able to do the job in Ireland or UK?)
5. Recondition the alloys (Sprayed black on inner)
6. New tyres
7. Remap
8. New head unit
9. Carbon fibre Mirror caps
10. Maybe colour co-ordinate the bumpers and add edition 30 lip - unsure whether to keep with standard paintwise, i co-ordinated my graphite GTI and liked it
11. Red GTI Badges and maybe black or carbon fibre VW badges (think Carbon fibre goes well on the Grey GTI's)

Other than all this just give it the much needed TLC it needs! thanks for reading :happy2:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:31:44 pm by OirishGTI »

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Project save the Grey
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:05:53 am »
Absolutely love the seats!

Careful with the red GTi badges if your going genuine - a lot of people have bought genuine ones off eBay and they turned out to be dud.

I got mine from VW direct. Part number can be found here

http://www.vwmotorparts.com/badges-c-37_93_378/genuine-vw-mk7-golf-rear-gti-badge-all-red-p-1026.html

Plans sound good for the car so far  :happy2:

Offline roadrat

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
Great plan for your latest GTI!

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:57:10 pm »
Absolutely love the seats!

Careful with the red GTi badges if your going genuine - a lot of people have bought genuine ones off eBay and they turned out to be dud.

I got mine from VW direct. Part number can be found here

http://www.vwmotorparts.com/badges-c-37_93_378/genuine-vw-mk7-golf-rear-gti-badge-all-red-p-1026.html

Plans sound good for the car so far  :happy2:
thanks for the heads up! I was just about to buy the eBay ones! :congrats:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:41:58 am »
Welcome along!

I'm from Dublin myself, you?

Cloth recaros are rare as hen's teeth!!

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:08:16 am »
Welcome along!

thanks! I'm in kildare, but splitting my time between there and Singapore at the moment..will be putting  the car into storage after I get it nct' d.. long term goal is to keep it as a future classic..but will have it out when I'm home from Singapore ..is there any vag scene in Ireland anymore?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:24 am »
Welcome along!

thanks! I'm in kildare, but splitting my time between there and Singapore at the moment..will be putting  the car into storage after I get it nct' d.. long term goal is to keep it as a future classic..but will have it out when I'm home from Singapore ..is there any vag scene in Ireland anymore?

I'm not too far from you so, spent a good bit of my career out in Leixlip actually.

The scene isn't as prevalent, cars and coffee meetups once a month are about the most there is nowadays!

I might be setting up a whatsapp group for some of the Irish users, if you're interested PM me your details  :happy2:

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:21:46 pm »
Welcome along!

I'm not too far from you so, spent a good bit of my career out in Leixlip actually.

The scene isn't as prevalent, cars and coffee meetups once a month are about the most there is nowadays!

I might be setting up a whatsapp group for some of the Irish users, if you're interested PM me your details  :happy2:
don't seem to be able to PM yet..will drop you a line when I can

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:12:04 pm »
So I bought a head unit off aliexpress just to see what it would be like, to my surprise it arrived today , so I added it to the car and I am pleasantly surprised! 140euro delivered..sat nav, blutooth and touchscreen..and doesn't look to bad ( If I say so myself!) :happy2:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:03 pm »
Welcome.

Love the seats, another one on here from Ireland, living in Kells to be exact and have also had the GTI bug for years, currently in a MK5 GTI DSG and a MK1 tucked away in a shed.

Out of interest does your car have the highline dash or no, curious to know if those chinese radios with the CAN-BUS comms display nav info on the dash.

Good luck with bringing back!

Mick.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:54 pm »
Very surprised with the head unit.

Considered getting one myself.

Let us know if a few days if it's still working out well!

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 03:03:38 pm »
Welcome.

Love the seats, another one on here from Ireland, living in Kells to be exact and have also had the GTI bug for years, currently in a MK5 GTI DSG and a MK1 tucked away in a shed.

Out of interest does your car have the highline dash or no, curious to know if those chinese radios with the CAN-BUS comms display nav info on the dash.

Good luck with bringing back!

Mick.
I'm not sure about dash..is this highline?

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 03:06:25 pm »
Mirror caps arrived  :laugh:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »
That's a highline dash yes.

Midline only has half a screen in the middle section.

If you hold the button on the right stalk for a few seconds it will open up an options menu on the screen to change some settings.

How's the headunit? What was installed prior? Did the sat nav hook straight up?

Offline OirishGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 10:40:06 am »
That's a highline dash yes.

Midline only has half a screen in the middle section.

If you hold the button on the right stalk for a few seconds it will open up an options menu on the screen to change some settings.

How's the headunit? What was installed prior? Did the sat nav hook straight up?

Head unit is working pretty well, havnt been driving  the car too much this week so will know more  next week. there are really decent units in aliexpress if you were thinking of going that route but I can't vouch for the longevity of them..thats why I bought a cheapish one,to see what they are like!
the car had an rcd300..the sat nav just worked when I installed it...it was no hassle at all really!