Make a donation

Author Topic: Keep it simple - Candy White GTI  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Shakey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Keep it simple - Candy White GTI
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:31:30 pm »
'Lo all.

Had this car a few weeks now, waited out for the spec I was after and I'm really glad I did. I only gave out on the leather interior as I was after cloth.

I'd not had a mk5 before this and I'm really impressed with the car, from its fit and finish to the way it acts on the road. Happy owner..

Anyway, thought I'd start a "build" thread as it's nice to look back across and see what/when you've done stuff.. There won't be much building going on tbh.

The car is an 06  Candy White DSG 3 door, leather, 18's, MFSW etc

My plans are simply an extension on what you get from the stock mk5 GTI, so, subtle complimentary mods that make it a nicer car for me. It's my daily car but I'd still like it to be lively and have other refinements.

The car -

So thing's I've been doing since I've owned the car.

The car has been into a friend at VW to be fully serviced, prematurely but it's just something I do when I get a car new to me. Whilst it was there I had the high pressure fuel pump replaced as it turns over from cold to much for my liking.. However this isn't sorted so I'll change the low pressure pump as well and go from there. It's not really a problem it just turns over around 10 times before firing, doesn't seem correct?

Other than the normal cleaning rituals that go along with getting a car that's about it..

I've started collecting bits -

New rear calipers (squeaky from time to time)
Braided lines
discs all round
pads all round
dust shields
Wipers

On the list -

mk6 electric window switches
Mk6 electric mirror switch
mk6 light switch
Interior grab handles
Fog light trims
Rear C-pillar interior trims
Rear parcel shelf support trims
Rear roof lining trim
Clips for ESP button
Clips for tyre deflate button
Drivers front door glass currently none GTI
Rns 315/510

That's as far as I've got really with parts for the car.

I'm a HUGE music fan and work in car audio so it was always my intention to fit a nice but hidden/oe style system in this car and it's complete now.

Here's a few pictures during my installation -

Kit -

Audison Prima 8.9 bit with built in DSP
Audison Prima 1D amp for bass
Audison DRC
Rainbow Germanium 10"
Rainbow mk5 upgrade speaker pack
WIFI streaming hardware for HD audio streaming

Control amplifier installed under drivers seat, bass amp is exactly the same foot print under the passenger seat.

Second amp and setup of the control amp (this also controls the second amp's input signal)

Used a factory pick up point for my power connection, it's always a touch when there's a nice stock location to pick up from.

Started with the stock doors then carried on, the speakers are deigned as a "drop in" fit but the factory points and panel work aren't really upto scratch so I pressed on with some well place deadening..

The only tell tales really other than the huge sound quality are this quarter sub box -

And the Audison DRC to give me volume control of my Apple Airplay -

I'll change the headunit out for a 510 probably just to tidy the dash up as the unit it has looks sh*t. They all sound garbage but after some tweaks can be listenable...

That brings us completely upto speed really, while I had some of the trim out I fitted a hard wired lightening cable in the cup holder bit for my phone as I hate seeing USB chargers all over the place and have fitted various other little bits that should help me further along the lines if I decide to further upgrade.

So yeah, that's me upto now, I'll try and keep on top of posting on what goes on.

Thanks for reading.

Shakey.

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
Re: Keep it simple - Candy White GTI
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:08:04 am »
Lovely looking car, pal. Always liked CW.
Really tidy audio install there.
Any other plans exterior/performance?

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:27:54 am »
Love that audio install.  Would love something like that.  Bet it wasn't cheap though.

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 04:22:24 pm »
Awesome audio install wld some of that gear myself but my stock 10speaker system is a great improvement over my last car a Bmw e90 those speaker were dung
Edition 30 num 859

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 09:39:00 am »
Welcome to the gti club from another candy white owner - see my build thread if you need any ideas!  :happy2:

Offline Shakey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:14:56 pm »
Lovely looking car, pal. Always liked CW.
Really tidy audio install there.
Any other plans exterior/performance?

Thanks, I think I'll just do downpipe back and filter then map really. It's my daily car so I'm not after going mental with it power wise.

Tyres need swapping out though, it's got some hilarious "ICEBEAR" hankook's on it at the moment.

I reckon I'll stop there performance wise. You know what it's like though..

Offline Shakey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:19:37 pm »

Love that audio install.  Would love something like that.  Bet it wasn't cheap though.

Wasn't to bad, work hard enough and all that..

Awesome audio install wld some of that gear myself but my stock 10speaker system is a great improvement over my last car a Bmw e90 those speaker were dung

Cheers, I've done hundreds of e90 platform installs so I know where you're coming from, they're terrible from stock, incl the "logic 7" system.. Absolutely pants.

Welcome to the gti club from another candy white owner - see my build thread if you need any ideas!  :happy2:

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline allymac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »
Hello and welcome shakey, would you happen to be shakey from Studio In Car? Nice install all the same, need to do some thing with my front door speakers.

Offline SamMas

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:36 pm »
You've got a minter there Shaky! Seen it a few times when you've posted it on Insta.  :happy2:

Audio is spot on, subtle is always nice to see done properly.

I'd advise swapping out the Diverter Valve for a Rev G and changing the PCV for a new item, if these haven't been done already. An oil swap to 5w40 is a must too, you'll see a dramatic difference if none of these have been done yet!

Offline Shakey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 08:09:31 am »
You've got a minter there Shaky! Seen it a few times when you've posted it on Insta.  :happy2:

Audio is spot on, subtle is always nice to see done properly.

I'd advise swapping out the Diverter Valve for a Rev G and changing the PCV for a new item, if these haven't been done already. An oil swap to 5w40 is a must too, you'll see a dramatic difference if none of these have been done yet!

Lovely thanks, a lot of this is being done at the moment, I've a few updates ready but the cars having a new inlet cam fitted at the moment to sort the fuel problem. New chains and belt etc at the same time so she'll be like new.

Right before Christmas, oh joy haha.. Using the mk3 as my daily at the moment.

Hello and welcome shakey, would you happen to be shakey from Studio In Car? Nice install all the same, need to do some thing with my front door speakers.

Sure am mate yeah

Offline Shakey

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:10:59 pm »
Been a while!

So I've been doing a few things with the car and I've not had much time but today I needed to do a little more work on the car and had the opportunity to take some pics.

All pretty boring stuff but making for a tidy well spec'd mk5..

In the background of this shot is (was) my pride and joy S/C VR6 Mk3 I managed to flip end over end a few weeks ago, poor thing.

Wingbacks fitted, looms still to be made, seat airbag sensors disabled.

Built a new install, bigger better amps, more powerful processor amongst other system upgrades.

New mirror back midrange pods and A-pillar tweeter mounts.

Had a genuine set of monzas (car had some hooky versions when i bought it) and had them diamond cut, then some bridgestone potenza's.. Not A tyre I've had before but they seem great in all conditions.

Amongst a few other sh*tty jobs keeping it clean and running right, that's about it :)

Cheers.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:37:09 pm »
Looks great.

Are you using the factory speaker cable into the door speakers? Or did you find away to run your own through to the door?
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2