Make a donation

Author Topic: Tobacco smell  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Tobacco smell
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:33 pm »
The previous owner must of been a smoker as you can smell that awful stale smell when you get in the car some times..what is the best solution to get rid of it

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Re: Tobacco smell
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:15 pm »
Got the same problem in my new car too. Was thinking get a few california scents, stick 2 under each seat, one in front and one in back.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

4ndy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:35 pm »
I'm sure you've heard of or used G101 before. I use this for almost everything in different dilutions  Plenty of clean cloths
 Try and wait till we get some warm weather to help with the drying 
 Everything will have to be cleaned including fabrics plastics and a change of cabin filter
  Be careful with the 101 and use gloves  I use it max 25% dilution for the carpets, headlining and seats.  I cant say you will get rid of the smell completely and you may still need fresheners. Even after several cleans the smell will still linger and be noticeable if the car has been standing for a while  Good luck

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:00 pm »
Totally extreme on my part but I always ask when buying a car if the previous owner has smoked in the car at all, If I get the slightest inclination or smell of smoke I will walk away.

I absolutely hate smoking and hate the smell that much that I simply would not buy a car if I know it has been smoked in OR if it smells of smoke to me.

I always check the ash tray and lighter to see if it has been used, You can usually tell though as the ash gets everywhere.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:33 pm »
When i bought the car it had just been valeted so it hid the smell and ash tray was also.clean
Going to try a Dakota odour bomb to get rid of the smell

Offline MikeBee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:29:13 am »
This is a good question as I am in basically the same boat.

Purchased a used car. When test driving the car was clean and had air fresheners in etc and I didn't notice the smell. After driving a few days I can pick it up.

I'm going to have a go with AutoGlym Odour Eliminator and Auto Fresh after having a very very thorough wipe down inside. I'm also going to clean carpets and mats thoroughly with my Vax.

I've heard that ozone generators are good at totally eliminating cigarette smell. Can anyone vouch for them? They're a bit £££££

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:29 am »
Step 1: Leave car open to air out for the day (weather and crime dependent).

Step 2: Apply cleaning foam to seats and carpets to penetrate.

Step 3: Wet vac seats and carpets (don't forget the boot and parcel tray, pretty much anything semi porous).

Step 4: Air con bomb the AC system (2 part - 1 disinfectant and 1 odour eliminator).

Step 5: Put California scents Coronado cherry in the boot and the cup holder

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:37:25 pm »
Got recommended to try this so going to give it a go

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:45:33 pm »
My last GTI had cloth interior and clearly had been smoked in.

The smell got quite repulsive in the summer.

I hired a rug doctor from my local supermarket for £25 for a day and did every fabric surface in the car twice (literally every surface, carpets, matts, seats, head lining, pillars, parcel shelf, boot etc.).

It then bought two of those pound-land dehumidifiers and left them in the car for a few days, they got another pint of water out the car!

Result: The car was scentless, no smell at all, good or bad! Also the car never steamed up because of how dry the inside was haha!

Offline MikeBee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »
This is good advice. Thanks guys.

I have one of those Dakota bombs to try and will also give the carpet cleaner a go.

Good tip on the dehumidifier!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:25 pm »
Good advice and will give that a try if the dakota doesn't work

Offline Kezma

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:34:22 am »
I had the same issue, and i bought a meguiars air con refresher kit from halfords. Wish i hadnt as it just made the car smell of citrus bathroom cleaner. Luckily the smell has gone now about 2 months on. But i would advise to meticulously clean interior with wet vac or just good products, change the cabin filter and get a new air freshener.