Make a donation

Author Topic: Sequential Indicators with DRL Switchback  (Read 2715 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Sequential Indicators with DRL Switchback
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
Hopefully someone can help please.

I have bought some of the above which come with 3 wires being black - negative/earth, red - drl and yellow - sequential indicators. When I test them with a 12V battery they work as they should as in start with DRL on and then once touch the indicator wire also to + it overrides the DRL and starts the sequential indication motion. DRL will not come back on until you remove the Indicator wore from +.

So have split my factory xenons today and connected up as below:

Negative/Earth on LED's to Negative/Earth from Indicator car connection
Red DRL + to Sidelight + car wire
Yellow Indicator + to Indicator + car wire

However the issue I have is when the DRL is on and I press the Indicator, the Indicator comes on and sweeps as it should for about 3/4 sweeps and then the DRL comes back on as though the Indicator has stopped. If I turn the Indicator off and back on it does the same thing again. If I however stick the Indicator on when the DRL is off the Indicator works totally fine and does not switch off.

I have played around in VCDS by turning off anything to do with DRL and then switching some things on but no matter how I have it setup it still has the above symptom

Anyone able to help on this at all as the only thing I can think is different, is the 12V battery has a constant power feed where as I presume the Indicator wire on the car has an intermittent power supply to give the indicator on/of effect

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
Re: Sequential Indicators with DRL Switchback
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:29 pm »
Anyone got an idea at all

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:06 am »
Do the lights come with loading resistors, or does it tell you anywhere that the leds should pull the same current as normal side lights plus indicators.

Are you experiencing any bulb error lights on the dash?
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:38:26 am »
Do the lights come with loading resistors, or does it tell you anywhere that the leds should pull the same current as normal side lights plus indicators.

Not sure, they come with a junction box which I presume is the box that controls everything as when you use with a 12v battery the Indicator over rides the DRL etc as it should so presume there is some sort of setup in there. But I have not got a clue when it comes to resistors and that. I opened the box but just saw a circuit board with wires connected. Wat should I be looking for in terms of parts or any specific writing on the box as there is model numbers and power specs.

In terms of lights on the dash I am but presume that is because I only have the one headlight connected back up for starters as the other one is removed and in the house. The other thing is the light I have connected the LED's too has no xenon housing or bulb as removed in prep for painting.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:48 pm »

Some further info as had a play with them today.

I re-wired so the strip LED and DRL + wires were connected to the car Indicator and sidelight + wires.

I then took the - wire from strip and earthed it to an engine bolt.

The - wire that was attached to the old led bulb I taped off

So when I switch the car on the DRL comes on followed by 3/4 sweeps of the Indicator (1st Issue) and back to DRL
If I press the Hazard switch the Indicator comes on and stays on and all works fine and when switch off DRL back on
Now when I press the Indicator stalk it comes on fine and then after about 3/4 sweeps the Indicator noise speeds up (fault detection symptom I believe) and then 3/4 sweeps later the DRL comes on.
If I press either the Indicator or Hazards again the Indicator noise is fast as before and after 3/4 sweeps back to DRL

So my VCDS is playing up but I am thinking it is causing a fault in the Indicator and switching off the Indicator power. My next stp was to clear the fault and see if works again until causes a fault again so then something to start with.

I looked in the Control box of the Strip and their seems to be a resistor on the DRL wire but not on the Indicator wire so could this maybe be the issue