Make a donation

Author Topic: Back in the game - Cupra black 470bhp  (Read 24475 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Back in the game - Cupra black
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
how come have gone for a seat and not a mk7 r John? Just fancied a change?

Yes,
I loved my ED30 and this is basically that car updated. The 7R is a great car but when I see one now ( which I see a lot of!) I don't regret going for the Cupra.
The mk6 obviously didn't struggle for traction. It's interesting that you've gone back to FWD.

Hurdy builds are associated with big power, and you've earmarked 400 as the first target.... But I expect more soon after. I think we all do. Or am I wrong?

What are your plans in terms of getting the power down? The diff will go a long way, but maybe this is a different approach to the all out acceleration of the mk6? Will 400bhp be a sensible limit, with more focus on handling for track work rather than mad 0-100 times that can only be attained with AWD? Is the idea of a turbo upgrade out of the question?

Always love reading your progress anyway pal. Look forward to the updates

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=01n6dumb4v314slkpm0gjv77o0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 09:09:20 pm »
7R. Yawn..... id rather the cupra any day.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 02:22:59 pm »

Yes,
I loved my ED30 and this is basically that car updated. The 7R is a great car but when I see one now ( which I see a lot of!) I don't regret going for the Cupra.
The mk6 obviously didn't struggle for traction. It's interesting that you've gone back to FWD.

Hurdy builds are associated with big power, and you've earmarked 400 as the first target.... But I expect more soon after. I think we all do. Or am I wrong?

What are your plans in terms of getting the power down? The diff will go a long way, but maybe this is a different approach to the all out acceleration of the mk6? Will 400bhp be a sensible limit, with more focus on handling for track work rather than mad 0-100 times that can only be attained with AWD? Is the idea of a turbo upgrade out of the question?

400bhp was also my initial target bhp for the 6R!  :laugh:
It is a starter target, which is typically exceeded by just going for stage 2 ( intercooler, intake, downpipe and maps)
Getting power down is always a challenge with fwd, although the Cupra covers a lot of the basics......
MQB platform is much stiffer than the mk5/6 platform.
ARB's as standard are stiffer than the mk5/6 platform.
The MK3 Cupra comes as standard with an LSD
It also comes with DCC (dynamic chassis control) as standard, so uprating the suspension isn't really needed when you can simply set the suspension to "Cupra" mode and everything stiffens up.
The car is a fair chunk lighter than my old MK6R too. That weighed 1479kg with half a tank of fuel and without me in it. The Cupra weighs in at 1346kg with a 90% full tank and without me in it. That weight will be reduced by at least another 50kg by the time I have finished.
The lower engine mount requires an insert for sure to aid control of the engine movement once a map is on. The OEM engine mounts are okay up to around 500bhp.
I have also invested in some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's to go on my 17" Oz Ultraleggeras to aid traction, but having said that the OEM 19's are shod with Continental contisport 5's at 235 section width and have great traction.
The car even stock manages 5.3 to 60mph, so is a fair chunk quicker than official figures quoted at 5.6 to 100kph.

0-60 will be under 5 seconds with just a stage 1 map.
The main advantage of fwd is that it is a solid, relatively safe car to use on track and a great base car to work off.  :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »

Yes,

400bhp was also my initial target bhp for the 6R! 
It is a starter target, which is typically exceeded by just going for stage 2 ( intercooler, intake, downpipe and maps)
Getting power down is always a challenge with fwd, although the Cupra covers a lot of the basics......
MQB platform is much stiffer than the mk5/6 platform.
ARB's as standard are stiffer than the mk5/6 platform.
The MK3 Cupra comes as standard with an LSD
It also comes with DCC (dynamic chassis control) as standard, so uprating the suspension isn't really needed when you can simply set the suspension to "Cupra" mode and everything stiffens up.
The car is a fair chunk lighter than my old MK6R too. That weighed 1479kg with half a tank of fuel and without me in it. The Cupra weighs in at 1346kg with a 90% full tank and without me in it. That weight will be reduced by at least another 50kg by the time I have finished.
The lower engine mount requires an insert for sure to aid control of the engine movement once a map is on. The OEM engine mounts are okay up to around 500bhp.
I have also invested in some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's to go on my 17" Oz Ultraleggeras to aid traction, but having said that the OEM 19's are shod with Continental contisport 5's at 235 section width and have great traction.
The car even stock manages 5.3 to 60mph, so is a fair chunk quicker than official figures quoted at 5.6 to 100kph.

0-60 will be under 5 seconds with just a stage 1 map.
The main advantage of fwd is that it is a solid, relatively safe car to use on track and a great base car to work off.  :driver:
The more I hear about the MQB cars the more they sound superior in every way!

I'm on PS4 on the front, and I find them a good all round tyre. Doesn't seem to be much in it between them and the PSS they replaced.

Keep the updates coming!

Offline bonelorry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 44
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »
Echoing what has already been said...

I would not hesitate going back to a Front Wheel Drive, 4WD Might give you amazing launches, Awesome 0-60 Times, All the Grip you could ever want in all Weathers.

But its not all about that.

I would also go as far to say my next toy will also have a Manual Gearbox too, I want to have some input and actually have to work to get the best out of a car. Not just press the Accelerator Pedal and leave the car to do everything. There has to be some element of Driver input.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:07:56 pm by bonelorry »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 11:37:29 pm »
17x8" Oz Ultraleggeras went on the car today, wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres. The car feels much lighter and responsive on these than on the 19" multispokes and Continental Contisport5's. The car looks less "in your face" compared to when it was on the super bling 19's too, which I prefer. Also these weigh in under 8kg and with the tyre fitted weigh just 17.9kg. :driver: :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 12:33:42 am »
Welcome to your build thread John  :happy2:. Three great builds behind you (that ive read, at least  :laugh:), so you gotta have one on here  :drinking:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:07 pm »
Welcome to your build thread John  :happy2:. Three great builds behind you (that ive read, at least  :laugh:), so you gotta have one on here  :drinking:

Cheers.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 05:07:19 pm »
Just a small mod today. Lower engine mount insert by 034Motorsport. Try to control that damned axle tramp on launch!
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 08:21:10 pm »
Wheels went on.  :wink:

Golf R gone.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 08:23:43 pm »
Awesome, nice to see a hurdy thread again  :happy2:

Looking forward to the updates!

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 07:59:38 am »
Went to Santa Pod on Sunday for GTI Spring Festival. Stage 1 e-tuners ECU and DSG maps with just an intake and did 12.83@113.91mph.
Best terminal of 115.56.
Better than I ever did on my ED30 at Stage 2+ with all the suspension bits added, stripped out and semi-slicks onboard!
To say I'm impressed is an understatement!

Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »
So, the parts have arrived ready for custom stage 2 e-tuner maps to go on next week. :jumping:

Scorpion downpipe, CTS turbo intake pipe and Wagner Competition intercooler going on beforehand and then mapping to get the car over 400bhp and 400lbft.

Should be fun!  :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
Good numbers john

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 06:37:48 pm »
Wagner competition intercooler
Scorpion Downpipe
CTS Turbo intake pipe
CTS Discharge pipe
CTS Throttle pipe
e-tuners stage 2 base map on ( further tuning to come)
E-tuners stage 2 DSG map on

Currently running 400+bhp and 400+lbft. :driver: on Statllers conservative dyno.
Holds 390+lbft from 2500 to 5500rpm.

Golf R gone.