Make a donation

Author Topic: Door lock  (Read 977 times)

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
Door lock
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:51 pm »
Where could i get a door module from (part number )and how long does it take to fix and also how can you tell if it is the module and not anything else

Thanks

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Door lock
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »
Which door would help with part number mate.
What's your symptoms?
Does it just not remote lock/unlock, does it try to? Is it opening with the key fine? etc...

For info, I did the drivers door on mine, bought part from eBay - non-genuine but did the job. Mine was a pain in the rear as I couldn't get the handle off at all and had to resort to sawing it and replacing it which was added fun. My problem was intermittent unlock via the remote, could hear it triggering when you pressed the button but sounded like it was straining to do anything.

Door skin needs to come off, recommend getting a friend to help you as it's a lot to hold up and align when you refit it and try to get the screws back in place, needs more that two hands really but can be done.
Its all just screws and bolts, you will need a set of torq bits and a spline bit.
Guide here on how to do it - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34343.0

4ndy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:36:26 pm »
Ive just fitted an ebay lock module £20ish  Easy job if you take your time get help as said if you can. Make sure the door skin screws go back in correct location :happy2: Have heard these locks fail pretty quickly Just have to wait and see. Prices vary greatly have look at this one for the rear right  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171406776699?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:44:02 am »
Thanks for the reply its the passenger door. And it used to lock with the fob but now it takes ages after try and try but it doesnt unlock when i try unlocking it the only way to open it is from inside then it opens from both sides.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:24 am »
Thanks for the reply its the passenger door. And it used to lock with the fob but now it takes ages after try and try but it doesnt unlock when i try unlocking it the only way to open it is from inside then it opens from both sides.

It's on the way out, they fail intermittently and get worse over time.

I've seen a video posted here recently where you drill a small hole into the mechanism and spray in some grease which get's things moving again.

Alternatively you can replace which I have done.

Maybe 3 hours work start to finish. There's a full how to guide on here. Search button will show you everything!

Offline Shamm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:33:32 am »
Another way is theres this little red thing which you push and it helps lock the door but it becomes long