Make a donation

Author Topic: Febi top mounts, or OEM?  (Read 8760 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Febi top mounts, or OEM?
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:36 pm »
Does anyone have any feedback on Febi topmounts, good or bad? Are OEM top mounts from the dealer worth the extra money?

I know Febi are a decent brand (and probably make the OEM ones anyway) but I'm a bit wary of 'OEM replacement' parts - the kind you'd get off ECP - after fitting some Pagid discs that don't seem that great.

It's an assumption at this stage that proper OEM RS3 mounts from the dealer are going to be considerably more expensive than the Febi equivalent, so does anyone have an idea of price, with bearings?

Cheers

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Febi top mounts, or OEM?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:35:04 pm »
I put new oem top mounts when I got my car lowered with no issues

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:04:42 pm »
Don't know if this helps but for the OEM GTI ones I paid £97.54 all in, from TPS. That's the mounts and bearings.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 01:32:24 am »
I'd get either GTI or RS3/TT top mounts. Never from other brands unless the likes of 034Motorsport. My mechanic has bad feedback from Febi. It won't last as much. :smiley:

I paid €81 for both RS3/TT top mounts and bearings (the bearings are the same in GTI and RS3/TT).

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:56:55 am »
I have Febi on mine. Put them on last year when chasing a knocking noise I couldn't find. No complaints so far and they were around £55 a pair with the bearings
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:42 am »
Thanks for the replies. Some mixed responses! I'll see what sort of price I get quoted at the dealer and decide from there.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 09:29:17 am »
I have Febi on mine. Put them on last year when chasing a knocking noise I couldn't find. No complaints so far and they were around £55 a pair with the bearings

You can keep us posted on how long they last. I hope mine last around 6 years. I try to avoid bad roads. :laugh:

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:43:19 am »
I have OEM on mine too. I wouldnt change unless going for adjustable top mounts but im not quite there yet

i Have a spare if anyone needs them

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
Just put dealer GTI ones on.  I don't think S3 ones are necessary as it's a lighter car.  If OE GTI ones last for 10 years, I can't see the need for 'uprated' ones personally, unless of course you're going for Ground Control caster plates, in which case you have my full endorsement  :grin:

Febi stuff for the aftermarket is complete trash in my experience, *especially* when it comes to rubber mountings.   For sake of 40 quid, I'd rather not have to redo the work after 5000 miles or so.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »
Just put dealer GTI ones on.  I don't think S3 ones are necessary as it's a lighter car.  If OE GTI ones last for 10 years, I can't see the need for 'uprated' ones personally, unless of course you're going for Ground Control caster plates, in which case you have my full endorsement  :grin:

Febi stuff for the aftermarket is complete trash in my experience, *especially* when it comes to rubber mountings.   For sake of 40 quid, I'd rather not have to redo the work after 5000 miles or so.
I've heard the RS3 mounts are a bit cheaper.

But point taken. I'll call in at the dealer tomorrow.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:40:10 pm »

Cool if they are. I haven't looked into the differences, but I assume the S3 uses the same bearing, but stiffer rubber?  Which means the bearing life will be no different to the GTI part, but the rubber bit should last a bit longer.

My dealer mate did me a pair of GTI TMs for about 80 quid iirc.

Sorry to be blunt about the febi parts.  Been there in the past and VW stuff is just better in the long run mate  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »

Cool if they are. I haven't looked into the differences, but I assume the S3 uses the same bearing, but stiffer rubber?  Which means the bearing life will be no different to the GTI part, but the rubber bit should last a bit longer.

My dealer mate did me a pair of GTI TMs for about 80 quid iirc.

Sorry to be blunt about the febi parts.  Been there in the past and VW stuff is just better in the long run mate  :happy2:
No worries mate, it's why I asked the question! So it'll definitely be OEM after seeing the consensus.

Yeah they're apparently a bit stiffer, and I've read a few times they're cheaper than GTI ones, for whatever reason. So win win really, although I doubt there's really much in it in terms of longevity or performance. It's probably one of those things that's theoretically 'better', but in the real world isn't worth obsessing over!

Just waiting for a PM back from @Paradox1 as he's got a pair of OEM. Whether they're Audi or VW doesn't really matter to me, just saves a trip to the dealers

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 12:35:03 pm »
How long are you guys top mount bearings lasting?
I put new mounts and bearings (tps) on my GTI only 20k ago due to knocking over minor bumps at low speed and the knocking is back!  I have been running VWR springs with B4's since fitting them  so maybe the stiffer (slightly) springs have killed them? Slightly disappointed have to say

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 01:45:21 pm »
Are you sure it's the top mounts?  Unless VW have changed to a lower quality bearing recently, I can't see them only lasting 20K with a mild upgrade like the VWR/B4.  You can normally feel excessive wear in the bearings by lifting the wheel when it's jacked up.

Offline fish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 02:17:13 pm »
Admittedly I have not jacked it up to see yet. My reckoning is based on the same noise I had before (on the same drive to work daily) which disappeared when I had the suspension work done with the top mounts.  At the time it was initially a process of elimination,  drop links then consul bushes then subframe washers. Once the top mounts were changed it cured it.  I thought I read somewhere the top mount bushes on the mk5 platform were poo (?)
Thanks for your reply,  I will investigate.  It only started a few days ago but I cannot deal with my car not being tip top!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk