Make a donation

Author Topic: Dilemma/WWYD?  (Read 1835 times)

rob.brad

Dilemma/WWYD?
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:02:39 am »
I've owned my Edition 30 for a little under a year. It was a "reward" to myself after lusting after one since working for VW many years ago (when these were new!) and it's every bit as good as I remember them being. The drive is superb, it's comfortable, quick enough for my driving and handles superbly. It's very well spec'd and wants for nothing, especially now it has a new clutch and flywheel, tyres, full service and wheel alignment.

My issue is with where I live. Space for parking is limited, children ride bikes and scooters in and around cars, kick footballs around and generally have little respect for people's property. Keeping a nice car nice is near impossible and I find myself thinking perhaps it's "right car, wrong time". It's also very tree-heavy so bird mess is a big issue as well as sap etc.

So the question is; Persevere or look to sell?

What would you do?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:19:23 pm by rob.brad »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Dilema/WWYD?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:15:18 am »
Keep it.

Cut the tree down.

Kick the ball at the kids.

rob.brad

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:52:20 am »
There are loads of trees. And some of them have TPO's which unfortunately out value the Golf several times over.

Kicking the ball at the kids however...  :congrats:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:21:36 am »
I had an issue with a tree right out front that coudn't be cut down.

Loop hole - the roots had started to crack the path next to it so the council had to cut it down on my behalf. Look for any damage around the area or any exposed roots which are trip hazards.

rob.brad

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
Unfortunately it's not just one tree, they're along every road and parking area. Pretty much unavoidable combined with the volume of other cars. Plus it seems like no one ever goes out!

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Dilemma/WWYD?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:25:37 pm »
Move......  :signLOL:
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

rob.brad

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:21 pm »
Move......  :signLOL:

We have thought about that! Won't be for another few years though   :grin:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 12:42:12 pm »
Too impractical/not feasible to park further away?

rob.brad

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:25 pm »
Too impractical/not feasible to park further away?

That would solve the kid question but no the tree's. I guess it's just very tree-y near my house.

Sometimes there are some good spaces but by the time I get back from work they're always taken. I had considered a car cover but do I want to be "that guy"? Especially if my car is a few minutes from my house? Not really.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »
I wouldn't want to be that guy either. If you drive the car once a week then maybe but not everyday. Plus its a faff.

Well, as it is, you are deliberating and unsure what to do which must mean the pros are fairly balanced with the cons. If you then remove a con (kids) then surely it must tip the scales in favour of the eddy. Keep it, perhaps look into protection products?

What did you think the answer would be on a forum dedicated to mk5 golf gtis?  :laugh: Unless someone kindly offered to resolve your issue by kindly taking it off your hands  :evilgrin: