Make a donation

Author Topic: BCS Powervalve Exhaust Review  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
BCS Powervalve Exhaust Review
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »
Thought I'd do a quick review of the BCS Powervalve turbo-back exhaust system on my 2012 Golf 6 R.

For those who don't know, BCS offer their Powervalve system as a 'best of both worlds' option. In layman terms, it has a boost activated valve which opens when you give it some stick. When driving sensibly, it retains the OEM factory sound. All of this without a drop of drone.

I've always wanted a BCS system, however they are certainly at the top end of the market, in terms of build quality and price. Last year I was offered, and stupidly bought, a cheaper system. The drone was unbearable, it rattled every panel and sounded like a tug boat off-boost. It lasted around 20 miles/24 hours before I reverted back to the OEM system.

I noticed earlier in the year that BCS were thinking of running a group buy - that's where it all began!

Ordering

I called BCS on a Saturday morning and had a lengthy chat with the wizard/frontline man that is Nige. We'd already spoken on PM but I had some questions and Nige carefully talked me through the engineering and mantra behind the BCS system and brand. I thought I knew what I wanted, but there were a few options which I hadn't thought of. Nige advised me to have a think and give him a buzz back on Monday morning. Needless to say, I spent the weekend watching just about every BCS/exhaust video on YouTube and speaking to BCS owners on their thoughts and opinions.

I decided on the 200cel downpipe with Sports Cat (to keep MOT's hassle free) with single centre silencer , twin rear silencers & stainless tips. The photo below isn't my car, but it's a near identical system, albeit with a twin centre silencer as opposed to single. The valve is positioned on the rear boxes, and therefore when opened, bypasses these.

When off boost, the system is using three silencers, and retaining the OEM sound. When boost is activated, the rear silencers are bypasses, therefore only using one single centre resonator and amplifying the sound. I opted for a single centre silencer (as opposed to twin) for a louder on-boost tone. Called Nige back on Monday 06 March and placed my order.

Delivery & Installation

Had a call on Friday 07 April from Nige to advise the exhaust was ready for dispatch. Sorted out payment and, as promised, the exhaust showed up on Monday 10 April, carefully wrapped in two rather large boxes. The system took exactly 5 weeks from date of order to delivery. As there are several options, the 6R Powervalve systems are built to order hence the short lead time.

Untitled by Ollie Dunstall, on Flickr

Initial impressions - fantastic build quality, perfect welds. I didn't actually unwrap much aside from the rear boxes and exhaust tips. The system also comes with a Powerflex dog bone mount which is recommended to install with it, all of the fixtures and fittings, the line that is required to be run from the valve to the engine bay and a Forge Motorsport boost feed valve.

Unfortunately, due to being around 4hrs from BCS, I opted to have a friend who is a handy spanner twirler/Audi tech to install the system. He fitted it in around 3/4 hours. He installed & removed my previous (rubbish) system, and commented how superior the BCS system is in terms of quality and also fit.

The Verdict

One word, amazing!

A more sporty tone when idling/normal driving, a touch more volume but still sedate. Not 'look at me I've got an exhaust' at all. But as soon as you hit boost, this thing comes alive. I'm really shocked at the deep grunty tone which is pretty impressive from a 4 cylinder engine. I was worried about it sounding like a tractor off-boost, but thanks to the Powervalve it really is the best of both worlds. Perhaps the most impressive factor is there is absolutely ZERO drone, at any speed. The only negative I can think of is the noticeable increase in fuel consumption as I can't seem to help myself booting it when given the opportunity!

Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to get any photos of the entire system when on a ramp, but here's a quick photo and video I managed to snap yesterday whilst out for a blast:

As a footnote I'd like to give a massive thanks to Nige @ BCS who has been a pleasure to deal with throughout. From initial enquiry to receiving the system, it's clear Nige knows his stuff and has put a LOT of time and research into his product. Couple this with the fantastic customer service and build quality and it's worth every penny.

If you're thinking about taking the plunge, do it!

Offline KieranED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
  • Burning Rubber Since 16th Febuary 2012
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89941.0.html
Re: BCS Powervalve Exhaust Review
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:50:06 pm »
Awesome review!
Can't wait to get mine fitted as soon as it's ready, hope it's soon  :jumping:

Offline Ollie6R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »
Awesome review!
Can't wait to get mine fitted as soon as it's ready, hope it's soon  :jumping:

You'll love it mate - it's totally transformed the car for me.  :pomppomp:

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:11:42 am »
Thank you Ollie for your kind words which I will convey to the Dave and Paul, who are every bit as committed to bringing the best possible solutions to the Golf platform as myself  :happy2:.
It was a total pleasure doing business with you and we thank you for your valued custom.
Cheers
nige

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:58 am »
Great review.

And here's the thing - everybody says the same about BCS. The exhausts themselves as well as Nige and the team. Faultless, review after review.

You'll find @Ollie6R that it gets even better after a few miles have let it expand, contract, and 'bed in'. Get it nice and hot and you'll get all sorts of pops and crackles.