Make a donation

Author Topic: Suggestions Please - R32 valance wrap/repair  (Read 2520 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Suggestions Please - R32 valance wrap/repair
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:18:44 pm »
When I got the R32 rear fitted I had the exhaust valance painted in gloss black. There's now a nice chip in it. Obligatory crap photo:

My thoughts are that it'd be quicker, cheaper and easier to whip the valance off, fill and smooth the chip, then go for a wrap rather than respray. It'll probably be a bit more durable too.

So my question is what wrap would you use? Any particular brand that's good for exterior bits and won't be affected by any heat from the exhaust? I'm considering a carbon wrap, but I don't want it to look tacky. The existing gloss black works nicely against the red, so if a normal black wrap turns out to be less cost/messing than a carbon wrap, so be it.

Any suggestions, links, pics and opinions welcome

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: Suggestions Please - R32 valance wrap/repair
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:44:36 pm »
3M or Avery, don't bother with the cheap stuff, especially for exterior. I'd personally get it done in gloss black again seeing as the car is red

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:49:02 pm »
3M or Avery, don't bother with the cheap stuff, especially for exterior. I'd personally get it done in gloss black again seeing as the car is red
Thanks. I had a feeling 3M was one of the better ones.

I'll have a look on ebay.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Suggestions Please - R32 valance wrap/repair
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »
No probs

I'm wrapping my ed30 valance diffuser wrapped in carbon fibre vinyl, my cars black so personally think it looks good.
I'm gonna go the extra step and clear-coat the vinyl for extra durability and making cleaning easier, you might wanna do that too?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:04:13 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:14:10 pm »
No probs

I'm wrapping my ed30 valance diffuser wrapped in carbon fibre vinyl, my cars black so personally think it looks good.
I'm gonna go the extra step and clear-coat the vinyl for extra durability and making cleaning easier, you might wanna do that too?
That sounds like a decent idea.

Just had a look at the 3M stuff - it's a fair few quid isn't it? Although I'm not entirely sure just how much I'll need. Presumably a similar amount to your ed30 exhaust valance?

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:20:52 pm »
Yeah it is quite pricey, you might be better off getting quotes from wrapping places? Seeing as it's not a big panel to wrap it might work out cheaper to get them to do it....if you're in London I can point you towards a mates place...

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
Yeah it is quite pricey, you might be better off getting quotes from wrapping places? Seeing as it's not a big panel to wrap it might work out cheaper to get them to do it....if you're in London I can point you towards a mates place...
Hmmm. Good point. I saw it as a quick cheap DIY, but what you say makes sense.

Unfortunately I'm miles from London!