Make a donation

Author Topic: New speeding fines  (Read 7650 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New speeding fines
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »
Dashcams detect nobbery. 

Adults are no different to school kids.  We persistently push our luck until teacher steps in and disciplines us.   The discipline for our apathy and complete disregard for the law as adults will come in the form of mandatory dashcams.  Forward, rear and driver facing.  Mark my words  :smiley:
I hope I've grown old of fast cars by that point

Offline Richie-VRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 06:56:56 pm »
I wonder if in Scotland over 100 is still considered dangerous driving. I got caught over 100mph years ago and got the minimum sentence of a 1yr ban and £300 fine.

Going by this new set of punishments I'd be better off in a situation like that?

In that situation, over a hundred would be classed as dangerous driving or potnetially culpable and reckless, therefore not a speeding offence, so that proportionate fining wouldn't apply.

So why have a fine category for over 100mph? Doesn't really make sense if it's automatically considered dangerous driving.

Offline romprod

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,112229.0.html
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
Not sure I can agree with people that say excessive speed doesn't cause accidents.... just to be able to dodge speeding tickets.

There's always a scenario where a more experienced driver, driving a faster car at faster speeds would be safer than a gran in a 30yr old Kia in a 40mph limit. Which I don't agree with.

I reckon just sticking to the limits in the capable car with the experienced driver would help mankind. We all think we're Colin McDonald but obviously the idiots with no experience in the sh*te car would still do what they want regardless and get banned quickly anyway.

Surely the less people driving around at excessive speeds is one of the quickest/easiest/cheapest ways to prevent accidents.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=othjbbgi7p1gmaeld13hkb16l3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 08:29:35 pm »
Do some research of autobahns accident rate vs ours

willni

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:39 pm »
Dashcams detect nobbery. 

Adults are no different to school kids.  We persistently push our luck until teacher steps in and disciplines us.   The discipline for our apathy and complete disregard for the law as adults will come in the form of mandatory dashcams.  Forward, rear and driver facing.  Mark my words  :smiley:

Speaking of nobbery on the motorway guy in front wouldn't pull over into the travel lane with me and other waiting behind, I flash the lights after 2 miles (try to give him time to realise himself) he then refuses to pull over so I "allegedly" undertake him, upon which he tries to speed up to not let me past...If I were in a volvo I would've mad maxed it and rammed him off the road or if I were American Police there would be no more Mr Mazda...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:54 am »
Dashcams detect nobbery. 

I hope I've grown old of fast cars by that point

Haha, that will never happen!  The only thing that changes as you get older is your arsedness to work on cars, but you will always love speed!

Do some research of autobahns accident rate vs ours

The Germans have a different attitude towards driving than we do, which is why derestricted roads work over there.  They definitely wouldn’t work over here.

Dashcams detect nobbery. 

Speaking of nobbery on the motorway guy in front wouldn't pull over into the travel lane with me and other waiting behind, I flash the lights after 2 miles (try to give him time to realise himself) he then refuses to pull over so I "allegedly" undertake him, upon which he tries to speed up to not let me past...If I were in a volvo I would've mad maxed it and rammed him off the road or if I were American Police there would be no more Mr Mazda...

I reckon I perform 5 or 6 undertakes to and from work every day.  As above, it’s all about attitudes, and they suck in the UK.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 06:33:44 pm »
Lets hope we see a bit of that money invested in fixing the roads. Dont know about everyone else but the state of roads is atrocious around Manchester now, potholes every where and no effort made to fix them, roads are literally falling to pieces and we havent even had a particularly rough winter - just so much traffic.

Dont hold out much hope though, we seem to have suffered underfunding in every publicly managed service these last few years - NHS, police, roads etc

Offline Scoobykiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 09:38:04 am »
How will this work? Everyones speedo callibrared differently
Everybidy has different size wheels tyres etc ....

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:15 am »
The small tolerance in speedos won't affect anything.  All that's changed is the size of the penalties.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 01:40:06 am »
Speedos are as said calibrated differently but what gets me wound up is if you do 21 mph in a 20 31 in a 30 and so forth you will get fined and points  :thinking: what kind of ***kery is this  :stupid:

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 08:12:21 am »
Speedos are as said calibrated differently but what gets me wound up is if you do 21 mph in a 20 31 in a 30 and so forth you will get fined and points  :thinking: what kind of ***kery is this  :stupid:

My understanding is that the 10% + 2 MPH trigger point will still apply....so for a 30MPH speed limit, the trigger for fines and points is 35MPH and over.  It's only the fines that are changing. This margin is to allow for tolerances in speedo's and equipment.........Unless anyone know any different?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:57 am »

My understanding is that the 10% + 2 MPH trigger point will still apply....so for a 30MPH speed limit, the trigger for fines and points is 35MPH and over.  It's only the fines that are changing. This margin is to allow for tolerances in speedo's and equipment.........Unless anyone know any different?

Yep, that's how it's always been.   A Racelogic V-Box is the only way to know the true mph.  Probably more accurate than the Police radar guns  :grin:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 10:54:23 pm »

im just going by what this shows with regards going over the limit of 20-30-40 etc by 1mph

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50:58 am »
That's just the speeding range and will be discretionary.  They can't put "35 - 40" because people will just think 35 is fair game and drive at that speed all the time.  No one is going to be prosecuted for doing 31mph. 

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 02:18:14 pm »
That's just the speeding range and will be discretionary.  They can't put "35 - 40" because people will just think 35 is fair game and drive at that speed all the time.  No one is going to be prosecuted for doing 31mph.
lol I hope so as I've been doing strict speeds now this s**** law has come out