Make a donation

Author Topic: Uneven tyre wear rear tyres (sawtooth )  (Read 2162 times)

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Uneven tyre wear rear tyres (sawtooth )
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:31:59 pm »
I have done a search, which has explained some of the problem.

My rear tyres are wearing on the insides (normal from what I have read)  but one side is far more worn  and  the pattern has gone  as described by others sawtooth wear.

What is the cause of this sawtooth  wear?  I never have seen a tyre wear like this before. As it is only on one side I take it a bush or component has worn out or been damaged.

I need some new tyres and would like to resolve this before fitting. My car is lowered on coilovers but this must have been happening for a while  as the car had odd tyres fitted on the back when I bought it.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Uneven tyre wear rear tyres (sawtooth )
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:51:20 pm »
Take your car and get a full 4 wheel alignment and this should fix the issue.

You may find out it was never tracked after it was lowered.

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »
I too have the same issue, just had it to my usual garage who claim there's no movement in the track arms but the bushs may be worn.... and for a pricely sum of £300 they can fix it.
Now the sceptic in me says if there's no play then why change parts?
Can there be play in bushes but not to be able to feel any movement?

Should I gamble taking it for a 4 wheel alignment so see if resolves the issue?

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:39:23 pm »
How old are the rear shockers -  VWs take on it:-

They say the shocker isn't strong enough to force the tyre to maintain contact with the road resulting in flats being formed on the tyres.

Look here

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=100931

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:35:20 am »
I too have the same issue, just had it to my usual garage who claim there's no movement in the track arms but the bushs may be worn.... and for a pricely sum of £300 they can fix it.

From what I have read else where a 4 wheel alignment doesn't resolve the issue. I think I will replace all the rear bushes as my car is on 80k. My thinking is if there is a alignment issue under load due to some wear in the rear bushing.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline GTI8v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:47:05 pm »

From what I have read else where a 4 wheel alignment doesn't resolve the issue. I think I will replace all the rear bushes as my car is on 80k. My thinking is if there is a alignment issue under load due to some wear in the rear bushing.
I spoke to my son shortly after typing this, he confirmed it was common, the bushes are probably knackered and the bolts will probably have seized... still don't fancy the £300 bill but luckily son thinks he can do iton the drive, so hopefully only parts and beer to buy  :signLOL:

Offline trtom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 05:36:19 pm »
Just to confirm, 4 wheel alignment does bugger all. Had mine done and nothing changed. Eventually just got new tyres, quiet now. Well, for now anyway.

Apparently suspension upgrades or oem refresh does fix but obvioisly costs a lot more than new tyres.

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 11:42:43 am »

I spoke to my son shortly after typing this, he confirmed it was common, the bushes are probably knackered and the bolts will probably have seized... still don't fancy the £300 bill but luckily son thinks he can do iton the drive, so hopefully only parts and beer to buy  :signLOL:
I will be tackling my rear bushes on the drive, just need  to decide oem or superpro bushes .
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT